How small can you go at TubaChristmas?

The bulk of the musical talk
sloan
On Ice
On Ice

true baritone, trombonium, and Eb (NOT EEb) antique helicon

Post by sloan »

The Huntsville, AL TubaChristmas has been very tolerant of the strange instruments that show up. In the past, my trombone playing son (Peter) wanted to play, and picked up the valve fingerings fast enough - but the only instrument we had for him to play was a true baritone. Actually, he ended up swapping with his brother (David - the eupher in the family) because he didn't have the strength to hold up the baritone (he was small enough to rest a euph on his leg).

This year, Peter learned Eb tuba so he could play my antique "Symphony" Eb helicon. This was considered unusual enough that he was pointed out and asked to stand to model this "precursor of the tuba".

Also this year, someone showed up with a "trombonium", which appeared to be pitched like a baritone, but with a taper that nearly matched a trombone. no one objected.
Kenneth Sloan
MaryAnn
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak

Re: The Little AltoBoy

Post by MaryAnn »

tubahed wrote:Well, actually it wasn't a boy...it was a woman at the 2003 Los Angeles Tuba Christmas who brought an alto horn. She mentioned that during the rest of the year she was a French Horn player, but she wanted to participate in the event and didn't have enough wind for the larger tuba instruments.
Well, unless she has a lung problem...tell her to write me and I'll tell her how to play with a 1.5 liter lung capacity. You just BLOW.
MA