looking to upgrade - need advice Bookmark and Share

The bulk of the musical talk
Forum rules
Reminder: "Go fund me" requests are not allowed and should be reported. All requests will be deleted.

Re: looking to upgrade - need advice

Postby toobagrowl » Mon May 28, 2012 4:28 pm

Levaix wrote:Keep an eye out for used B&S stencils... I like mine more than a 186, and it was under $1500. Very versatile BBb, especially if you like German horns. Names on the bell may include Sonora, Karl Zeiss, and a couple others I'm forgetting.

Add 'Musica', 'Gerhard Schneider', 'Carl Wunderlich' and even 'Giardinelli' to the stencils made by B&S/VMI. :shock:
Dillon's has a VMI Giardinelli BBb tuba for under $2,000:
http://www.dillonmusic.com/p-17148-giar ... mi101.aspx

I didn't mention the stencils because they are harder to find, and a couple of them - 'Karl Zeiss' and 'Musica' are made by both B&S and Cerveny, so you really have to know which ones to look for.
The B&S 'Musica' BBb and CC tubas that I have tooted on were really fine tubas. :tuba:
toobagrowl
5 valves
5 valves

Postby joh_tuba » Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:22 am

bloke wrote:For $2000, you can

- buy a Chinese copy of a Hirsbrunner 192
- pay for the shipping
- buy a really nice bag (or an MTS case, etc.) for it.
(They come with a styrofoam-board-cordura nylon-zipper closure case, which is semi-disposable.)

These tubas are very accessible, and offer very good intonation. Although the metal used in the linkage is a bit soft (about as soft as the metal used in Yamaha linkage), this is a well-built tuba.

Try it with my "Symphony" mouthpiece. :wink:

A student of mine just purchased an original HBS192 for seven grand.

The horn is 35 years old and in spectacular condition and the valves are lighting fast and with tight solid linkage. It's in as good condition mechanically and cosmetically as when new.

I've examined the construction and engineering in many many China produced tubas.. even ones produced within the last year. While they've certainly improved they are still cutting important corners in ways that make them a poor use of your hard earned money unless you 100% don't care about keeping the tuba long term. NO current crop chinese horn will look as good as this HB in 35 years and more to the point.. this HB will still look and play like it does now in another 35 years.

Moral of the story, when it comes to puchasing a horn that you intend to keep for life, cry once.
Last edited by joh_tuba on Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
joh_tuba
4 valves
4 valves

Postby Three Valves » Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:42 am

"I suppose if I live to be 200 I win a velocipede!!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41SFTn9xHus
Who needs four valves??

Mack Brass Artiste
MackBrunner 210L
Bach 12
Kelly 18
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Postby bloke » Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:03 pm

You're bumping 6-year-old posts...why...??...and even though - 6 years ago - this was clearly stated:

My price range is $2K to $4K. More like $2K.

joh_tuba wrote:
bloke wrote:For $2000, you can

- buy a Chinese copy of a Hirsbrunner 192
- pay for the shipping
- buy a really nice bag (or an MTS case, etc.) for it.
(They come with a styrofoam-board-cordura nylon-zipper closure case, which is semi-disposable.)

These tubas are very accessible, and offer very good intonation. Although the metal used in the linkage is a bit soft (about as soft as the metal used in Yamaha linkage), this is a well-built tuba.

Try it with my "Symphony" mouthpiece. :wink:

A student of mine just purchased an original HBS192 for seven grand.

The horn is 35 years old and in spectacular condition and the valves are lighting fast and with tight solid linkage. It's in as good condition mechanically and cosmetically as when new.

I've examined the construction and engineering in many many China produced tubas.. even ones produced within the last year. While they've certainly improved they are still cutting important corners in ways that make them a poor use of your hard earned money unless you 100% don't care about keeping the tuba long term. NO current crop chinese horn will look as good as this HB in 35 years and more to the point.. this HB will still look and play like it does now in another 35 years.

Moral of the story, when it comes to puchasing a horn that you intend to keep for life, cry once.
bloke
musician/technician/innovator

Postby the elephant » Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:53 pm

bump
Click here for a look at the best 6/4 now on the market...
the elephant
Papa Legba
Papa Legba

Postby bloke » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:47 pm

the elephant wrote:bump

8)
bloke

Previous

Return to TubeNet