"cimbasso"/"Verdi hated the tuba"/etc.

The bulk of the musical talk
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Re: "cimbasso"/"Verdi hated the tuba"/etc.

Post by Donn »

bloke wrote:...to date, no one has shown me a photograph of one (much less "some") that were made during-or-before the time period that those pieces of music were written that requested a "cimbasso".
Maybe Verdi kept them so busy, that the instruments were all used to death and none survived to be collectors' items.
I took a look at the scores of Verdi’s 2 last operas, Otello and Falstaff. Both scores specify Trombone Basso as their bottom instrument of the brass section. The Otello opening implies valve trombones being meant.
OK...so not "cimbasso", and it isn't immediately apparent (at least, not to me) why valves would be "implied", but (again) not cimbasso-related, but tangential.
Check for something like "Non preoccuparti troppo se non esattamente en accordo, il resto della sezione sono stesso tromboni a valvole."
TheTuba
3 valves
3 valves

Re: "cimbasso"/"Verdi hated the tuba"/etc.

Post by TheTuba »

goodgigs wrote:
KiltieTuba wrote:All those old instruments are irrelevant. This is like the thread on bringing back the ophicleide into the modern orchestra - there's a reason why we don't see old designs used regularly... Hence why bloke probably won't find a photograph like the picture posted.

I blame the 1960-80s generations for all the loud music and louder music that has caused the older instruments, like the ophicleide, to be replaced by louder versions to accommodate for the new generation of people with hearing problems... :tuba: :tuba:
+1 "I heard that"
barely
I would put a good signature here, but i dont have one, so this will make do.