Scholarships suggestions?

The bulk of the musical talk
scourtuba
lurker
lurker

Post by scourtuba »

I'm a senior Tubist/Bari. Saxophonist, I also sing bass in High school preparing for my final year and jump into college. Also, at the end of my Senior year i will be a certified instrument maintenance technician. I want to do my best to get a full ride off of music scholarships, so that i can begin the look for a personal tuba. I currently have a 3.0 GPA, and a 24 ACT score. I live in KY, and play both of my instruments very well. Any comments/tips regarding musical scholarships i could apply for or look into would be great to hear! :tuba:
tubaguy9
4 valves
4 valves

Re: Scholarships suggestions?

Post by tubaguy9 »

Be prepared to pull the wallet out eventually? :oops: :twisted: :P
I think I might end up as a grumpy old man when I get old...
MikeMason
6 valves
6 valves

Post by MikeMason »

Find a college that needs tuba players and offer free maintenance in return for free tuition.prolly get some great experience and recommendation out of it too...
Pensacola Symphony
Troy University-adjunct tuba instructor
Yamaha yfb621 with 16’’ bell,with blokepiece symphony
Eastman 6/4 with blokepiece symphony/profundo
PMeuph
5 valves
5 valves

Post by PMeuph »

Certain universities have reduced/free tuition for their employees. As such, you could look into getting a job at a university. There are plenty of jobs that require little skills and that pay money that a university needs. Obviously this policy will vary across different schools. Otherwise, you could look for a par-time that allows you to practice. I had several friends who, as undergrads, took 3-4 shifts a week as evening/nighttime convenience store clerks/ gas-bard attendants/ security guards. Usually they would be able to spend half of the time they were paid practising as these jobs usually have a lot of down time at night.
Yamaha YEP-642s
Boosey & Hawkes 19" Bell Imperial EEb
tubacrow
bugler
bugler

Post by tubacrow »

There are a few questions that might help people answer your question.
What do you plan on majoring in? (I will assume music, but is it performance, education, therapy, or business.)
Which do you consider your principle instrument? (Voice, Sax, or Tuba)
Have you talked with you director about universities and possible scholarships?

In my former department, the best way to find out about scholarships that were available was to call and as the music secretary. They would either know, or know who to direct you to.
Yamaha YFB 821 Bobo F
Cerveny/Sanders CC
York and Sons Monster EEb W slide
Cool Winds BBb (it might be a little melty, but still plays)
we3kings
bugler
bugler

Post by we3kings »

See if your local library has copy of this book and go through it.
http://www.amazon.com/Scholarship-Handb ... 0874479061" target="_blank

Also, try looking for regional solo competitions.
Biggs
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Biggs »

Bloke is hinting at the correct (IMO) path.
scourtuba
lurker
lurker

Post by scourtuba »

Thank you all very much for your comments, its helped me figure a few extra things out that'll push me to that full ride mark, thanks again!
tubainty
bugler
bugler

Post by tubainty »

As someone who is currently going to school on a full tuition merit scholarship the best advice I can give you is to practice A LOT, like all of your free time and apply to conservatories. universities are probably much less likely to give full scholarships for music. If you are the best prepared applicant and the school needs tubists they will do what they need to do to get you, to an extant of course. Know the rep you are going to audition with NOW. Study the excerpts with a score, do not learn only the tuba part. You have got to understand the context in which the music is played. play as if you are in the orchestra, this will impress the committee.

The solo you prepare needs to be something well within your ability. Playing a difficult piece poorly is far less impressive than playing an easier piece exceptionally. The committee wants to hear you play your best, if you slop through the Vaughn Williams they know what you can't do, but not what you can. Show them what you CAN do. I would advice against the Vaughn Williams entirely even if you can play the crap out of it, only becaus it is performed so frequently. Play something standard but slightly less standard so that you may be the only one playing it at the audition. It will make the committee more interested if they have just sat through ten mediocre vw's (this is all assuming you get to choose your own solo piece which is not the case at many schools). The Gregson and Ewazen concertos are good audition pieces in my opinion. When I took my college auditions I didn't run into anyone else playing either of these pieces.

If possible try to get a lesson with the professors you are applying to study with. Both so they can get to know you, since they will be more likely to accept you the more they know what you can do, and so you can get to know them and see who you like, and who you don't. The tuba professor will probably been the most important factor in deciding where you go to school.

The most important thing however is to not be nervous during your auditions! If you are thoroughly prepared you have nothing to worry about. Just go in there and play the music that you have played countless times in the practice room. Remember that the committee wants you to do well just as much as you do. Be calm.

Tuba should be your priority, academics secondary (though academics are necessary in order to become truly educated. But everyone has to make sacrifices). That's how my friends in similar situations and I managed to get into the schools that we wanted with the necessary scholarships to afford them (schools are expensive!).

Of course conservatory is not for everyone. Disregard this comment if its not what youre looking for. Also I tend not to know what I am talking about with most things. But practicing a lot is good advice in most situations.