Melton 2250

The bulk of the musical talk
itai
bugler
bugler

Melton 2250

Post by itai »

Hi, I have found a good deal on a brand new MW2250 here in Israel, which is the only current F tuba for sale here.

For those of you that have been to the iTEC and tried it, or people that are familiar with this tuba, I would love to have your opinion on the 2250, and is it good for the uses as a PRIMARY F tuba, next to a CC BAT.

Thanks for your answers in advance,
Itai
Itai Agmon
Israel Philharmonic Orchestra
michaelkeys
bugler
bugler

Re: Melton 2250

Post by michaelkeys »

I tried every F tuba that was at the ITEC exibition, because I want to buy a new F this year.

The MW 2250 (Model TL) is first place on my wishlist.
itai
bugler
bugler

Post by itai »

michaelkeys wrote:I tried every F tuba that was at the ITEC exibition, because I want to buy a new F this year.

The MW 2250 (Model TL) is first place on my wishlist.
Have you tried the regular 2250? Is there really a big difference apart from the trigger and the smaller bell?
bloke wrote:I played a 2250 that I would have considered as a "second" F tuba. I actually started trying to think if I could justify any uses for a "second" F tuba.

bloke "who doesn't need a '2nd' F tuba"
What about "Primary" if you didn't have a current one? The sound is to "Big" and not "Soft" enough like you'd be expecting from an F?

I tried my teacher's PT15 and compared between the two. The 2250 was much easier to play, in every means (Intonation, air, and mostly low register is purely awesome), The PT15 simply "sings" by itself, it has more of F tuba sound that's engraved in my head. That's what I'm afraid of, I never played a bass tuba before and I don't really know what to expect from the sound to be like. The 2250 seemed much bigger, maybe Eb-ish, which isn't a bad thing either.. just different. I thought maybe the mouthpiece would make a change, but I guess it still can't be like the soft german sound we hear from the B&S..

Anyone doesn't agree with me about the sound of this tuba? I would love to hear your opinions, before this tuba would be sold.
Itai Agmon
Israel Philharmonic Orchestra
joshwirt
pro musician
pro musician

Post by joshwirt »

I know I'll get blasted for this....but....

I'm not crazy about the 2250. Granted, I've only tried 2 of them, but they didn't do much for me.

However, I'd stand in line for a go on Bloke's B&S.
Elmhurst University - Applied Professor of Tuba/Euphonium
Elmhurst Symphony - Principal Tuba
Wintergreen Music Festival - Principal Tuba
New Chicago Brass
Ottava Quartet
michaelkeys
bugler
bugler

Post by michaelkeys »

I also compared the 2250 and the 2250 TL directly
The difference is a smaller bell and the tuning slide trigger (TL) - thats all.
I personally prefer the TL because for me the sound was more focused.

Anyway, you will have to play this instrument personally. All those posts here may give you a idea, how this instrument is.
But you have to find out for yourself if it's the tuba you want to play.

In my opinion it depents on a lot of things, if you like a instrument or not.
That's why some like the 2250 and others don't.
As mentioned I played every F Tuba I could find on the ITEC exibition.
Some tubas who are played by really famous tubists I personally didn't like, becaus it did not work with me.

For me it mainly depends on how you want to sound on a tuba and if it's possible to sound like this on this instrument.
Response and intonation are other things that matter, but I think these can be different betwen players on the same Instrument.
Furder you have to know what you want to play on this instrument.

I want to buy the 2250 TL for solowork. If I was looking for an orchestral Instrument I would chose a different model.

Hope that helps

Michael

(Sorry for my bad english)
bisontuba
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bisontuba »

Last edited by bisontuba on Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheHatTuba
5 valves
5 valves

Post by TheHatTuba »

Last edited by TheHatTuba on Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
darth2ba
3 valves
3 valves

Post by darth2ba »

Specs on the 2250 TL

http://www.meinlweston.com/melton-meinl ... 250tl.html" target="_blank
Joe Ready
Principal Tuba: Portland Opera
Low Brass Instructor: Pacific University
J.c. Sherman
6 valves
6 valves

Post by J.c. Sherman »

I'm betting with the bell size change, that thing might be damn near perfect.
Instructor of Tuba & Euphonium, Cleveland State University
Principal Tuba, Firelands Symphony Orchestra
President, Variations in Brass
http://www.jcsherman.net
Bob Kolada
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Bob Kolada »

I like the double dependent 2250 because it has cleared the social path to put two dependent valves on the cheap four valve horns I'm interested in- 2268, 653,... :D
joh_tuba
4 valves
4 valves

Post by joh_tuba »

I think a VERY real attraction of the larger bore 'buzzy' inflexible sounding horns is that by definition they sound much more even and consistent to a non-tubists ears. The smaller bore 'sweet' sounding horns can often sound very different from one valve combination to another and register to register.

A violinist sitting on a committee is likely to interpret a constantly varying sonority as lack of control of the equipment or poor intonation.
J.c. Sherman
6 valves
6 valves

Post by J.c. Sherman »

Ironic since their timbre is also quite fluid and varies by string; homogeneity is not necessarily good, IMHO. It's a recent aesthetic.
Sidanas
lurker
lurker

Post by Sidanas »

I came across this topic, 5 years have passed, anyway I would like to give my opinion. I've never tried a Melton 2250 tuba, but I tried a new model from Miraphone, the Elektra. It's perfectly built and so easy to play and agile, but....I eventually chose to buy a '80s Besson Eb. As it was said in this topic, some of new built tubas, especially german crafted ones, are monophonic. I could listen to this sound at auditions, anyone had the same sound and instrument, yeah powerful and well projected and soooo agile that it could resemble a computer. I also tried a Melton spezial in a band and, well, it was easy to play, but no more than easy, no interesting sound to my ears. When I took back the Besson it was way better. I could be little crazy and maybe I will never win an audition against those "trend-friendly" Melton and Mira and B&S players, but first of all I think about music.
Sidanas
lurker
lurker

Post by Sidanas »

I agree with you, I think it's a matter of trend. Today people want to hear that kind of sound, maybe tomorrow it could be different (I hope).
J.c. Sherman
6 valves
6 valves

Post by J.c. Sherman »

Just tried a 2260 RA... IMHO, "Go-go-gaget... boring". Plays fine.