Tuba Mouthpiece Receiver Bookmark and Share

The bulk of the musical talk

Moderator: Uber Moderators

Tuba Mouthpiece Receiver

Postby PMeuph » Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:09 pm

I picked up a La Monte BBb tuba locally. I wasn't too interested, but I ended up getting a "decent-ish" price on it and I got rid of a trombone that I wasn't using much. The tuba doesn't sound too bad, the scale is manageable the valves works, no appearance of cracks or rotting. The horn has a 16.5" bell and a bore around .730. With the right mouthpiece, this might be a "good for the money" horn.

However, the mouthpiece receiver is very small. The only mouthpiece I have that fits in it is a European shank PS Solo. Even though the PS Solo is a relatively large euphonium mouthpiece it is a poor tuba mouthpiece.

Has anyone ever swapped one of these tiny receivers and put a standard tuba receiver? (I know about British shanks being upgraded but this one is smaller than those.) What is the inner diameter of the mouthpiece receiver? (on the side that joins up with the leadpipe)

I haven't had my calipers and tuba in the same place at once but I should be good to have some measurements tomorrow.

Thanks!
Yamaha YEP-642s
Besson New Standard 3-valve compensator
Boosey & Co. Solbron ca. 1921
Boosey & Hawkes 19" Bell Imperial EEb
PMeuph
5 valves
5 valves

Re: Tuba Mouthpiece Receiver

Postby eupher61 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:18 pm

Should be no problem. Dan is going do it to my Conn Eb sometime soon.
eupher61
6 valves
6 valves

Postby bloke » Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:23 pm

If the receiver is actually a solder-on receiver (and not an overpart), it's pretty easy to unsolder one and install another one.

The lowest priced receiver that is pretty darn universal (standard shank) and pretty easy to get is the Yamaha receiver for the YBB-201/321.

I'd bet that your local repair-guy can order that part from a jobber in Wisconsin.
Ask about or order Sellmansberger mouthpieces at 901-465-4739 or click the email icon.
Like us on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Sellmansberger-blokepiece-Tuba-Mouthpieces/193759374019965
bloke
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor

Postby Curmudgeon » Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:19 am

PM, I think maybe at this juncture someone should say something... An intervention is in order...

The tuba gathering addiction is a terrible thing and ruined many a happy home. Stop now while you still can!

:lol: :tuba:
Curmudgeon
pro musician
pro musician

Postby iiipopes » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:22 am

Where I would normally keep the small British-sized .490 receiver on a tuba, in this case I'm with bloke about changing out the receiver for a standard .520 receiver to make the horn playable.
"Bessophone" w/Griego 325XD, Imperial Blokepiece w/ extender, Taku Lite,
Reynolds 'glass souzy w/Kelly 18
Fanned fret electric and bass guitars
If you ever see a King Super 20 trumpet
in silverplate serial #330XXX,
please let me know!
iiipopes
6 valves
6 valves

Postby PMeuph » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:21 am

So I just measured the horn.

Overall bore is 19mm (~.75)

The outer diameter of the leadpipe where the receiver ends is about 0.565.

Just so everyone is clear, this horn does not have a british tuba shank. It has a euphonium medium shank. The end of the shank of the mouthpiece needed is not 0.490, it is actually 0.465 or so.

I'll contact my local repair guy and see what he has in stock. I just didn't want to show up at his shop and end up needing a custom receiver or a new leadpipe. (Both of which would probably cost more than I have in this horn so far.)
Last edited by PMeuph on Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yamaha YEP-642s
PMeuph
5 valves
5 valves

Postby PMeuph » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:47 am

LJV wrote:PM, I think maybe at this juncture someone should say something... An intervention is in order...

The tuba gathering addiction is a terrible thing and ruined many a happy home. Stop now while you still can!

:lol: :tuba:

Thanks for your concern, LJV!

My girlfriend is quite understanding, she doesn't complain about the number of instruments I own (quite a few more than what I have in my signature) as long as I don't complain about the number of pairs of shoes she has. Neither one of us has debt, and we each buy stuff with our own money.

______
ps. I might already be too far along for an intervention the La Monte is my 4th tuba and the 6th one I've owned in the past year....
Yamaha YEP-642s
PMeuph
5 valves
5 valves

Postby bloke » Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:10 pm

At least tubas don't drip oil and grease all over the garage floor...or cause cars to be parked in the driveway (as do motorcycle addictions).
Ask about or order Sellmansberger mouthpieces at 901-465-4739 or click the email icon.
Like us on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Sellmansberger-blokepiece-Tuba-Mouthpieces/193759374019965
bloke
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor

Postby Bob Kolada » Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:44 pm

Got a picture?
Bob Kolada
6 valves
6 valves

Postby iiipopes » Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:06 pm

bloke wrote:At least tubas don't drip oil and grease all over the garage floor...or cause cars to be parked in the driveway (as do motorcycle addictions).

Yes, but they can cause other musical instruments or household items to be relocated temporarily in a similar manner, often to the dismay of other household members.
"Bessophone" w/Griego 325XD, Imperial Blokepiece w/ extender, Taku Lite,
Reynolds 'glass souzy w/Kelly 18
Fanned fret electric and bass guitars
If you ever see a King Super 20 trumpet
in silverplate serial #330XXX,
please let me know!
iiipopes
6 valves
6 valves

Postby PMeuph » Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:30 pm

Here are some crappy cell phone pics:

The wooden case:

The horn in its case:

The horn beside a B&H EEb.
Yamaha YEP-642s
PMeuph
5 valves
5 valves

Postby MikeW » Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:34 pm

These tiny shanks have been mentioned on TN before. If the receiver change doesn't pan out, I think you will find that Doug Elliot can make a shank this size, which will fit any (?) of his range of tuba mouthpieces.
Imperial Eb DW3
dilettante & gigless wannabe
Some horns are just not braced well enough to be played by The Hulk - Dan Schultz
MikeW
3 valves
3 valves

Next

Return to TubeNet