Tuba Mouthpiece Receiver

The bulk of the musical talk
PMeuph
5 valves
5 valves

Re: Tuba Mouthpiece Receiver

Post by PMeuph »

MikeW wrote:These tiny shanks have been mentioned on TN before. If the receiver change doesn't pan out, I think you will find that Doug Elliot can make a shank this size, which will fit any (?) of his range of tuba mouthpieces.
I've thought of the Doug Elliot route before. However, no offense intended, a Doug Elliot mouthpiece(with shipping and customs) would cost about $30 less than what I have in the horn at this point. Also, I have 5 standard shank tuba mouthpieces that I don't use right now...
Yamaha YEP-642s
Boosey & Hawkes 19" Bell Imperial EEb
Tubajug
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Tubajug »

That's an interesting case, is there any padding to speak of or just the shaped wooden rests?

I really like the outside color. I don't know why, but when I saw I just thought was a really cool looking case!
Jordan
King 2341 with a Holton "Monster" Eb bell
Eb Frankentuba
Martin Medium Eb Helicon

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving's probably not for you.
PMeuph
5 valves
5 valves

Post by PMeuph »

Tubajug wrote:That's an interesting case, is there any padding to speak of or just the shaped wooden rests?

I really like the outside color. I don't know why, but when I saw I just thought was a really cool looking case!
The case is pretty cool. It's made out plywood. 1/2" at the bell and on the sides and 1/4" on the curved parts. The isn't much padding but there are a couple pieces of old carpet.

I might cut up a cheap yoga mat and pad the inside.
Yamaha YEP-642s
Bob Kolada
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Bob Kolada »

PMeuph wrote:
MikeW wrote:These tiny shanks have been mentioned on TN before. If the receiver change doesn't pan out, I think you will find that Doug Elliot can make a shank this size, which will fit any (?) of his range of tuba mouthpieces.
I've thought of the Doug Elliot route before. However, no offense intended, a Doug Elliot mouthpiece(with shipping and customs) would cost about $30 less than what I have in the horn at this point. Also, I have 5 standard shank tuba mouthpieces that I don't use right now...
Regardless of how good his stuff may be, don't let him read that...
PMeuph
5 valves
5 valves

Post by PMeuph »

Bob Kolada wrote:
PMeuph wrote: I've thought of the Doug Elliot route before. However, no offence intended, a Doug Elliot mouthpiece(with shipping and customs) would cost about $30 less than what I have in the horn at this point. Also, I have 5 standard shank tuba mouthpieces that I don't use right now...
Regardless of how good his stuff may be, don't let him read that...
As I live in a country were is is impossible to try the mouthpieces before buying them (Unless your willing to pay for round-trip shipping costs and then have to fight with customs to get your tax money back when you return it) I tend to not buy mouthpieces solely to try them out. I'm sure his system would work well for me. I currently play euph, tuba and bass t-bone regularly and I'm sure that I could optimize my mouthpieces. However, since I don't have an unlimited source of money, and I haven't made a trip to some event like the midwest conference I will have to wait. Buying a full setup of mouthpieces would surely set me back the price of a decent used tenor trombone.... I mostly decide to buy a mouthpiece (used) when I feel I can sell it for about the same thing I paid it. I don't know if you've noticed but the DE mouthpieces rarely show up for sale here or on the trombone forum. Maybe that means that people enjoy them a lot, but it probably also means that given their very customized nature you're unlikely to resell them. That's all fine and dandy, but I can think of better ways to spend $200-$250...
Yamaha YEP-642s
Doug Elliott
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Doug Elliott »

Yes, that's really no problem at all. I can make euph-size shanks that will work well with my mouthpieces.
MikeW
3 valves
3 valves

Post by MikeW »

Perantucci mouthpieces can be ordered with four shank sizes:

http://tubamania.com/Mouthpieces.htm

Normal (Euro size)
S (Small - same as American Standard)
XS (eXtra small - presumably(?) Small-Euro, like the old Bessons etc.)
AM - described as "for instruments with extremely small receivers"

The shank sizes quoted on the above website seem to be measured at the opening of the receiver instead of at the tip of the shank, so direct comparison with other published measurements is not possible, but it is at least possible that the AM size may fit your instrument (obviously this would only be relevant if replacing the receiver turns out to be a problem).
Imperial Eb Kellyberg
dilettante & gigless wannabe
Doug Elliott
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Doug Elliott »

Perantucci tuba mouthpieces are available with the following shanks:

No Indication: (15.2 mm) Standard shank, for contemporary CC and BBb tubas with large receivers.
"S" on shank: (14.8 mm) One size smaller, for CC and BBb tubas with small receivers and most Eb and F tubas.
"XS" on shank: (14.5 mm) For Eb or F tubas with particularly small receivers.
"AM" on shank: (14.2 mm) For instruments with extremely small receivers.
With no indication of where those measuremants are made, the numbers are kind of meaningless. They're not receiver opening sizes. I suspect the smallest one is about like a bass trombone shank, which isn't nearly small enough.