circular breathing

The bulk of the musical talk
dmeacham5
bugler
bugler

circular breathing

Post by dmeacham5 »

i tried searching on past threads but my question wasn't answered, my question is, how do you circular breath?
SousaWarrior9
3 valves
3 valves

Re: circular breathing

Post by SousaWarrior9 »

If I remember correctly, you need to build up enough air in your cheeks so that you can push the air out while inhaling through your nose. I've yet to master this, however.
"Some men are macho men. Others are Martin men"

It's that word "handcraft"...
David Richoux
5 valves
5 valves
Location: San Francisco Bay Area, mostly. Also Greater Seattle at times.

Post by David Richoux »

There are quite a few lessons on Youtube - search: circular breathing

but I have never been able to do it very well, especially on tuba. Here is one success by some guy :shock: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOVv_A7JIGQ
jsmn4vu
bugler
bugler

Post by jsmn4vu »

SousaWarrior9 wrote:If I remember correctly, you need to build up enough air in your cheeks so that you can push the air out while inhaling through your nose. I've yet to master this, however.
This, but tuba is the hardest wind instrument for doing this, because of the volume of air required (as compared with, say, the oboe).
Last edited by jsmn4vu on Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
John in Atlanta

Eastman EBC632
Wisemann DTU-510
Conn 88H
Bach Strad LT16M
1972 King 3B
1955 Olds Ambassador trombone
King Flugabone
MaryAnn
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak

Post by MaryAnn »

Some of the best circular breathing videos I had found a while back had to do with playing the didgeridoo. One guy in particular appeared to have a tuba embouchure, and he demonstrated some really neat stuff with free buzzing.

I can circular breathe; it wasn't really all that horrible to learn BUT the transition between cheek blowing back to lung blowing is still pretty rough; the sound continues but there is a distinct timbre change, which is not a problem on dij, in fact, it is used as part of the desired output. Lots of people do it....I think it's just a matter of time and patience, no harder than other things you do on the tuba. You do have to start slowly, go in steps, and then later speed it up (unless you have more talent than I do.)

MA
PhilGreen
bugler
bugler

Post by PhilGreen »

Here's a great example of how it can be done effectively on tuba.

Phil Green.
eupher61
6 valves
6 valves

Post by eupher61 »

Two words: Don Harry.
MaryAnn

Post by MaryAnn »

PhilGreen wrote:Here's a great example of how it can be done effectively on tuba.

Yeah but:
He is playing a very articulated piece; it is much easier to do circular breathing on a piece like this; what is hard is to play a sustained note with circular breathing and not be able to hear any difference. I've seen it done on a very high note on the (french) horn, in person, up close, and the only reason I knew he was circular breathing was because I could see his cheeks go out and hear him sniff in at the same time. There was zero difference in sound quality, and no breaks. That takes some skill.

I'm surprised more people haven't chimed in on this, because I would consider it a mandatory technique to have on tuba.

MA
itai
bugler
bugler

Post by itai »

It took me ages to learn the concept of circular breathing. No matter any explanation/guidance on how to do it, it just didn't work. Apparently, while I was trying to pass the time on a boring guarding duty, I finally understood the method by thinking about the physical logic. Simple as it is.

Once you can do it, even barely, but as long as you know the cheek-nose-blow combination, simple try it on the tuba. Start with the higher register, on the mid-low register the sound will get distorted much more due to more air and free embouchure. I am not trying to sound like a smartass, but time and patience, like anything unfortunately, is the key.

The only time I recall circular breathing being an essential need for me was when I played Tchaikovsky's Romeo and Juliet (on that sudden mid B when you are roughly alone), but it is sure a fun show off. :roll:

Mr. Hershko is a genius!
Itai Agmon
Israel Philharmonic Orchestra
PaulTkachenko
3 valves
3 valves

Post by PaulTkachenko »

I found practising blowing bubbles in water with a straw to be useful to get the concept.
Yamahas YFB621, YBB621 & YEB 631
Conn 20K, Bubbie, Tornister & Amati Bb helicon
Perinet ophicleide, Kaiser serpent, YEP 321 Euphonium, King 3B bone, YBL612II bass bone, Meinl flugabone
Double bass, bass guitar, bass sax
Rick F
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Rick F »

My favorite classical trumpet player, Serge Nakariakov, is the best circular breather I've ever seen. In his playing of Bach Air you can hardly see his cheeks puff out and can't hear any bumps or dips. This is on his big bore flugel horn (or soprano tuba).

Bach Air, Sergei Nakariakov
Miraphone 5050 - Warburton mpc (Brandon Jones)
YEP-641S (on long-term loan to grandson)
DE mpc (102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank)
pwhitaker
3 valves
3 valves

Post by pwhitaker »

I attended a master class taught by Chester Schmidt about 30 years ago in which he played a Bach Cello Suite (I don't remember which one) on an F tuba circular breathing throughout the entire piece. It was very impressive.
MISERICORDE, n.
A dagger which in mediaeval warfare was used by the foot soldier to remind an unhorsed knight that he was mortal.
- Devil's Dictionary - Ambrose Bierce
Alex C
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Alex C »

Two repeated words: Don Harry.
City Intonation Inspector - Dallas Texas
"Holding the Bordognian Fabric of the Universe together through better pitch, one note at a time."

Practicing results in increased atmospheric CO2 thus causing global warming.
jeopardymaster
4 valves
4 valves

Post by jeopardymaster »

I learned the basics over Winter Break my sophomore year, but it took another year or so to get to where I was passably proficient. Just on a sustained notes, though, harder in extreme registers, and most trustworthy at mezzo forte or softer dynamic. Generally speaking, how I did it: 1) I got proficient at sniff breathing (both in and out); 2) I learned how to make a decent sound sealing the back of my soft palate with the back of my tongue; 3) I learned how to control a pitch using air stored in my cheeks for just a short period on a sustained note; and 4) coordinated those 3 skills into a technique. Clark Terry was a master, by the way. Once at a clinic I asked him about how he could do it while blowing phrases, and he looked at me like I was crazy. I explained that I was having trouble circular breathing through phrases on tuba, and he said he couldn't help me. Maybe someone else knows how to circular-breathe moving notes on tuba, but I hit a barrier more than 30 years ago, and never broke through. But on sustained notes? Great tool.
Gnagey CC, VMI Neptune 4098 CC, Mirafone 184-5U CC and 56 Bb, Besson 983 EEb and euphonium, King marching baritone, Alexander 163 BBb, Conn 71H/112H bass trombone, Olds Recording tenor trombone.
eupher61
6 valves
6 valves

Post by eupher61 »

I'm going to try it today, in my baritone, with my CPAP mask on and running...brainstorm!
eupher61
6 valves
6 valves

Post by eupher61 »

The CPAP really doesn't help. Maybe, just maybe, if the pressure were down really low, like 4in/H20, it may be possible. I don't feel like changing the setting on my machine just now to try it.

The problem, as I suspected the more I thought about it, is in opening the airway from the nose into the throat. I frequently do it passively to help clear sinus gunk a bit (it SEEMS like it works, whether it actually does I dunno), but doing it while actively blowing is a different animal. The physical opening and closing of the palate is what the CPAP is intended to influence...and it really doesn't work while blowing to play.

Durnit.

I've seen somewhere a picture, maybe a patent application, for a machine to pump extra air for playing a wind instrument. I was told a story about Sibelius 2, that at the US premier, the tubist used a pump and hose to play the Bbs in the 3rd movement. I have never seen any validation of that specific story.