Interesting Musical Barters/Trades/Transactions

The bulk of the musical talk
Kevin Miller
bugler
bugler

Interesting Musical Barters/Trades/Transactions

Post by Kevin Miller »

I just thought of an interesting topic that might offer a few chuckles among us. This is an invitation to post your most interesting/comical musical transaction. Think of a gig where you were paid with other than money. How about a trade of instruments or music involving a humorous story?

Here's mine:

Many years ago when I bought my Besson 981(1992)I also got a bag of dubious quality. Eventually the bag started coming apart and I needed a proper bag for the horn. A fellow I was in college with at the time(a poster on this board) just happened to have lying around a sweet Reunion Blues leather bag for a 981 that he had long ago parted with. We talked about it and he sold me the bag for $100 and a bottle of Cuervo 1800 Tequila. What a deal! I still have the horn and bag. That bag is at least 15 years old now and is in great shape. That's quality workmanship baby! I teach with that horn and I schlepp that horn to at least 2 different schools 5 days a week.
Kevin Miller
Private Teacher/Freelancer
Tulsa Opera Orchestra
Bravo Brass
JB
pro musician
pro musician

Post by JB »

Doc wrote:I played some gigs when I was still in high school where I was paid in food and beer...Doc

Hell, some days I wish I was paid in food and beer :!: :!:
Kevin Miller
bugler
bugler

Post by Kevin Miller »

If food is involved in full or in part, it's a "Grocery Gig". It's always nice to partake in the festivities afterwards.
Kevin Miller
Private Teacher/Freelancer
Tulsa Opera Orchestra
Bravo Brass
Jobey Wilson
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Jobey Wilson »

Great post Kevin! Here's mine:
One of my orchestras is a good ways from Boston, so they always put me up at the same, really cute hotel during the concert weekends. The third cycle I played there, I got into a nice conversation with the Swedish owner...he played euphonium years ago, and just started to play it again. I now give him lessons in trade for an extra night at the hotel so I can stay in the Berkshires and "relax" after the concerts.
Joseph "Jobey" Wilson, DMA
Pittsburg State University
www.pittstate.edu/music/
AndyCat
3 valves
3 valves

Post by AndyCat »

I once traded a St.Pete BBb for a Yamaha Clavinova at Mr.Tuba in Wales. Pleased the woman in my life greatly!
Andy Cattanach, UK
Fodens Band, Intrada Brass Ensemble.
Yamaha Neo BBb x 2 (2011 and 2016), B+H 3v Imperial BBb.
Yamaha YBL613H Bass Trombone.
Mercer and Barker MB5 Cattanach, Yeo Signature Mouthpieces.
Erin
bugler
bugler

Post by Erin »

JB wrote:
Doc wrote:I played some gigs when I was still in high school where I was paid in food and beer...Doc

That kind of eliminates a step, doesn't it? :P
Steve Marcus
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Steve Marcus »

I will accept an F tuba as partial payment toward a new Steinway Grand Piano...

Seriously!

Steve Marcus
Director of Sales, The Beautiful Sound, Inc.
Chicago area Steinway Dealer
Steve Marcus
http://www.facebook.com/steve.marcus.88
Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia
Tabor
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Tabor »

This wasn't a tuba gig, but I did sing at a benefit for the the Cleveland Opera. It was a freebie, but I did it just because I wanted to support the Opera. They "paid" us in Champagne and cheesecakes. That was the best d*** cheesecake...

-T
Tubas
JB
pro musician
pro musician

Post by JB »

Erin wrote:
JB wrote:

That kind of eliminates a step, doesn't it? :P
After the way these last coupla days have been going, I kinda wish they'd deliver brew and stuff BEFORE the gig! :D :D :!:
MaryAnn
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak

Post by MaryAnn »

Haven't done bartering yet, but I would glady barter lessons on the instrument of your choice for well-done "honey-dos" on my house.

MA, who wants to put an apostrophe in "dos" but it doesn't look right that way either.
Carroll
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Carroll »

When I was in grad school, there was a young doctor from Japan in medical residency with my wife. We talked for a while and I discovered he was in a "euphonium club" in Tokyo when he was a kid. He found out about Tuba Christmas and we traded for lessons. He would come over once a week and cook traditional Japanese food for us, and I would teach him to play by note (he had learned by solfegge). Come to find out... if a Japanese man can cook well, it is because he cannot find a woman. This guy was an awful cook, but an O.K. player. We had a blast at T.C.
Dylan King
YouTube Tubist
YouTube Tubist

Post by Dylan King »

I once played a show with a famous R&B star. I was with my mother backstage and decided to introduce her because she had been a fan back in the fifties and sixties. He flirtedher with all of his famous charm and then offered her some cocaine, which I didn't know he was doing at the time. She was cool about it and just said "no thanks" but I'm sure it made her uncomfortable. It was a strange situation to say the least.

I haven't taken her to a show like that since.
tubatooter1940
6 valves
6 valves

Post by tubatooter1940 »

I have played gigs for gumbo,beer,a warm place to be on a cold night,friendship,and a chance for love but after my discharge from the Marines,the only job I could find was a straight commission vacuum cleaner salesman.I showed a cleaner to a farmer and he wanted it but could not pay the required $125 down payment until his bean crop came in next month.Feeling the time to close the sale was now or never,I asked him what he might like to trade in lieu of the $125.He offered me a young calf he had in a nearby field.Why not?I took the back seat out of my old Mercury and tied the trunk lid down on it and we shoved the calf in the back behind the front seat.I raced to the Robertsdale,Alabama live stock
auction before the calf did something unthinkable on my back seat floor.
I got $150 for the calf at the auction and drove home feeling that fortune had smiled upon me.
tubatooter1940
TubaRay
6 valves
6 valves

Post by TubaRay »

tubatooter1940 wrote:I have played gigs for gumbo,beer,a warm place to be on a cold night,friendship,and a chance for love but after my discharge from the Marines,the only job I could find was a straight commission vacuum cleaner salesman.I showed a cleaner to a farmer and he wanted it but could not pay the required $125 down payment until his bean crop came in next month.Feeling the time to close the sale was now or never,I asked him what he might like to trade in lieu of the $125.He offered me a young calf he had in a nearby field.Why not?I took the back seat out of my old Mercury and tied the trunk lid down on it and we shoved the calf in the back behind the front seat.I raced to the Robertsdale,Alabama live stock
auction before the calf did something unthinkable on my back seat floor.
I got $150 for the calf at the auction and drove home feeling that fortune had smiled upon me.
tubatooter1940
Now that's a story that will be difficult to top!
Ray Grim
The TubaMeisters
San Antonio, Tx.
davet
bugler
bugler

Post by davet »

Well, not as interesting as previous posts, but I have traded for 3 of my 4 horns. 2 of those trades have Tubenet connections.

An even swap with Steve in Alamogordo: My 3/4 Weril CC for his Yamaha YEB321.

An even swap: An 1870ish Boosey Ballad Horn for a c. 1900 Eb Boston Musical Inst. Co. helicon with David Neill at the Brass Players Museum

I traded in an Eb Pan Am. sousa that I bought from Tubatinker (plus some cash) to Roger Lewis (WWBW) for a new Amati alto horn.

For my 4th horn I traded 750 hard earned dollars for a 4v Eb York sousa that a volunteer fire dept. band sold on eBay.

sorry this wasn't more exciting....(picture a yawning emoticon here)
djtuba
bugler
bugler

Post by djtuba »

I have a student whose Mom is a Chiropractor, I do free lessons for free adjustments at her office. It really helps to keep me going since I am also an Instrument Tech as well.

Dennis
LOTP
bugler
bugler

Post by LOTP »

Bought an oboe once at an estate sale. They let me have it cheap because the mouthpiece was missing.
TubaRay
6 valves
6 valves

Post by TubaRay »

LOTP wrote:Bought an oboe once at an estate sale. They let me have it cheap because the mouthpiece was missing.
Now that one made me laugh!
Ray Grim
The TubaMeisters
San Antonio, Tx.
MartyNeilan
6 valves
6 valves

Post by MartyNeilan »

Wen I was in college the first time around, I went out with a very cute girl from Argentina (or was it Peru?) who was a Pathologist prior to coming to the US to study opera. I gave her music theory lessons in return for her giving me lessons on anatomy related to breathing. (Our anatomy lessons usually stopped there :( .)
Adjunct Instructor, Trevecca Nazarene University