G&W Mouthpieces

The bulk of the musical talk
Davidrn1
bugler
bugler

G&W Mouthpieces

Post by Davidrn1 »

Are these new surgical steel mouthpieces really that much better than the standard brass?

How do they compare to say a Helleberg or a Schilke?

Is there a difference in tone quality? LIghter vs darker?

Just curious

Thanks
Paul S
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Paul S »

Hi David,

It is kind of hard to answer your question as the G&W is a line of mouthpieces each with different characteristics as far as colour and feel just as there are a myriad of different types of Hellebergs out there. A short answer is that in a lot of ways I would say they are better than many of the brass mouthpieces out there.

Having used a Williwaw and a Bora I can say I do like these mouthpieces very much. They seem to increase the horns ability to be the natural amplifier that it really is. The steel gives a "slippery" feel for easier adjustment similar to what you get with gold plating. The rim is "less sharp" than many Hellebergs but I have not noticed a lessening of precision of attack that I have with some more rounded types. In fact response and articulation seem better than most brass mouthpieces I have tried.

The Williwaw compared extremely favourably with a Monette 94 both in feel of air flow required and in sound produced. When I recorded myself with both I could not tell one from the other. I have not tried one but most really seem to love the Bayamo even more so.

The Bora on my F tuba provides an "off in the Swiss Alps" mellow tone on my horn that I like in comparison to other mouthpieces I have.

Ivan Giddings is a very nice gentleman to deal with. I would recommend contacting him and having him advise you on a model to trial and then see if they produce the sound that you want. Ivan comes across as really wanting to make sure that the right mouthpiece gets out for the players needs.

Again, each of these mouthpieces provides something different to different horns and players and the best thing you can do is take advantage of a trial.
Paul Sidey, CCM '84
Principal Tubist, Grand Lake Symphony
B&S PT-606 CC - Yamaha YFB-621 F
SSH Mouthpieces http://sshmouthpieces.com/" target="_blank