Is my Laskey 30H American or European shank?

The bulk of the musical talk
WoodSheddin
5 valves
5 valves

Is my Laskey 30H American or European shank?

Post by WoodSheddin »

How do I tell if my Laskey 30H is a European or American shank? I used it in my Hirsbrunner HB-2p. When in the receiver it sticks out about 7.6mm. My Shilke Helleberg II sticks out about 11.8mm. I also own a Dallenbach Helleberg which the receiver absolutelly swallows.

I thought the Dallenbach was an American shank and the Helleberg II a European shank. Is there a size in between for the 30H or is it that their is no absolute standard for a European shank mouthpiece and both the 30H and the SHII are both the same basic shank size.

Trying to sort this all out for people asking me questions regarding a sale. I would call Laskey and ask him but it is Sunday.
sean chisham
JayW
4 valves
4 valves

Post by JayW »

dont know if this will help you sean, since I do not know the measurements of the shank sizes, but I recall chris Hall using the Euro shank on his hirsbrunner when taking lessons with him. (because I couldnt try it one day since my horn had a much smaller receiver and it stuck out A LOT) I am pretty sure the american shank would not even fit properly on your horn. It would go all the way in. hope that made sense
Jay
proud new owner of a kick arse Eastman 632
Photographer
Dog Lover
Hiker
Mark

Re: Is my Laskey 30H American or European shank?

Post by Mark »

WoodSheddin wrote:How do I tell if my Laskey 30H is a European or American shank? ... When in the receiver it sticks out about 7.6mm.
I've been wondering the same thing.

But, isn't the more important measurement how far the shank goes into the receiver rather than how much sticks out?
WoodSheddin
5 valves
5 valves

Post by WoodSheddin »

Mark wrote:
WoodSheddin wrote:How do I tell if my Laskey 30H is a European or American shank? ... When in the receiver it sticks out about 7.6mm.
I've been wondering the same thing.

But, isn't the more important measurement how far the shank goes into the receiver rather than how much sticks out?
The shanks are the same length.
sean chisham
Paul S
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Paul S »

It is not the length of the shaft but rather the shank diameter. The Euro is a wider shank and thus does not go in as deep as the American (standard) shank in a European receiver. Try the Laskey on your Conn Sousa or something like a Yamaha F. If it is too big it is a Euro. According to Doug Elliots pages, The American (standard) is what the receivers are on most Besson, Bohm & Meinl, Conn, Holton, Jupiter, King, Martin, Marzan, Meinl-Weston smaller models, Musica, Olds, Reynolds, Yamaha smaller models, York smaller models. The American Shank will go in the larger European receivers deeper but the European will not fit in an American receiver.
Paul Sidey, CCM '84
Principal Tubist, Grand Lake Symphony
B&S PT-606 CC - Yamaha YFB-621 F
SSH Mouthpieces http://sshmouthpieces.com/" target="_blank
Paul S
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Paul S »

LV wrote:The mpc pictured is a european shank mpc. There is a small line machined into the shank just before the exterior of the throat area scroll work begins.
I always was told the line you mention was on the inside of the Euro shank. Here is a photo of the Euro 30G I used to have.

Paul Sidey, CCM '84
Z-Tuba Dude
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Z-Tuba Dude »

Sean, if the 30H is the same one that you used with your Yorkbrunner, it would be the American shank.
cjk
5 valves
5 valves

Post by cjk »

MW2000, PT15, HB2p, 20K, 186, PT88, PT65s, GTI 1.8t
no prisoners
I don't know about Laskey shanks in particular, but I do know that Doug Elliott's website says that
(standard, no letter) (same as PT small “Sâ€
Last edited by cjk on Sun Jan 23, 2005 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul S
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Paul S »

LV wrote:
Paul S wrote:
LV wrote:The mpc pictured is a european shank mpc. There is a small line machined into the shank just before the exterior of the throat area scroll work begins.
I always was told the line you mention was on the inside of the Euro shank. Here is a photo of the Euro 30G I used to have.
Nope, it's an exterior line. What you point to is tool chatter from (sorry, Scott!) not the best machining.

Interior lines=turbulence=bad.
Thanks LV! That was always something I wondered about and it makes perfect sense once I think about.
Paul Sidey, CCM '84
Anterux
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Anterux »

After I read this I'm completely confused about shank sizes...

I read somewhere in a post that if we buy a Denis Wick for a Jupiter 582 it had to be the "L" (large shank)

I just bought it and my jupiter 582 tuba is arriving soon. did I bought the wrong shank size?
JayW
4 valves
4 valves

Post by JayW »

unless jupiter has changed the shank size since I had mine years ago.... the large shank will probably have the mouthpiece sitting way out of the receiver.
Jay
proud new owner of a kick arse Eastman 632
Photographer
Dog Lover
Hiker
Matt Good
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Matt Good »

WoodSheddin wrote:How do I tell if my Laskey 30H is a European or American shank? I used it in my Hirsbrunner HB-2p. When in the receiver it sticks out about 7.6mm. My Shilke Helleberg II sticks out about 11.8mm.
If your Laskey 30H fits into the the reciever further than your Schilke Helleberg II then I am willing to bet that it has an American shank. The old Helleberg II has the same shank as the the Laskey European shank. LV is correct about the line that is machined just before the scroll work on the top of the shank (this is what Scott Laskey told me as a way to make a visual recognition of the diffrence between the two shanks).
WoodSheddin
5 valves
5 valves

Post by WoodSheddin »

Matt Good wrote:
WoodSheddin wrote:How do I tell if my Laskey 30H is a European or American shank? I used it in my Hirsbrunner HB-2p. When in the receiver it sticks out about 7.6mm. My Shilke Helleberg II sticks out about 11.8mm.
If your Laskey 30H fits into the the reciever further than your Schilke Helleberg II then I am willing to bet that it has an American shank. The old Helleberg II has the same shank as the the Laskey European shank. LV is correct about the line that is machined just before the scroll work on the top of the shank (this is what Scott Laskey told me as a way to make a visual recognition of the diffrence between the two shanks).
Mine does not have that line, if I understand correctly. I am going to call him tommorrow and double check to be certain. I may have the American shank.
sean chisham
WoodSheddin
5 valves
5 valves

Post by WoodSheddin »

bloke wrote:
I may have the American shank.

Just tell him it's the version marketed to the red states... :P :lol:
You mean the little bitty teeny weeny shank?
sean chisham
WoodSheddin
5 valves
5 valves

Post by WoodSheddin »

I just called Scott Laskey and confirmed it is indeed an American shank. Thanks for all the help guys.
sean chisham
CJ Krause
4 valves
4 valves

Post by CJ Krause »

Last edited by CJ Krause on Tue Sep 27, 2005 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dean E
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Dean E »

WoodSheddin wrote:How do I tell if my Laskey 30H is a European or American shank?
Here's a comparison chart with some dimensions. Anyone that can identify where the American/European titles go, please let me know. I'll reissue the chart.
Mouthpiece Shank Chart
Dean E
[S]tudy politics and war, that our sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy. Our sons ought to study mathematics and philosophy . . . in order to give their children a right to study painting, poetry [and] music. . . . John Adams (1780)