Kanstul Tubas?

The bulk of the musical talk
Davidrn1
bugler
bugler

Kanstul Tubas?

Post by Davidrn1 »

I have heard that Kanstul tubas are regarded as one of the best Bb tubas around for under the 10k mark. I have not heard of the Kanstul line before today. Has anyone heard of these?

Do any of you play on one, or has anyone tried one?

Their showrooms are located on the West Coast.

Let me know what you think of thi shorn if you have played, or heard about it.

Lee Stofer can order these. He is the one that told me about it. If Lee says its good. it should be REAL good!

Here is a link to their site.

http://www.kanstulmusic.com/index.htm
stardude82
bugler
bugler

Post by stardude82 »

Went to the show room about a year ago and a half ago. Played a couple of their Bb's. Generally unimpressed by them, especially when I played a King 2431 right after. I understand they were prototypes though and the production versions are better and their marching contras are widely used around the DCI. Then again, they still have that smallish bore.... They are all handmade and sturdy though.

They had some really cool convertable horns though.

They sell BBb's for over $10K? How much do they ask for them?
Contramark
bugler
bugler

Post by Contramark »

I played one of the Kanstul Grande Bugles when I marched corps int he late 90's. it was a very good tuba. I don't think it was the best horn I ever played, but I loved the way t sounded. Surprisingly for the horns being hand made they are very consistant.

Mark

Go try one out. You wont be dissapointed.
Gorilla Tuba
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Gorilla Tuba »

Kanstul marching horns are highly regarded by many. I found their CC tubas to be very stuffy and difficult to play. The 5/4 BBb that I played at a trade show was similarly stuffy. By stuffy, I mean some notes would speak fairly well, then the next would play like the CC on an old Mirafone F tuba. Just really inconsistent from note to note.

I think Ziggy Kanstul's workmanship is very nice and he seems to have mastered trumpets and other higher brass. I am sure his tubas will be excellent, but the ones that I tried over the past few years were not quite there yet.

I am very interested in his compensating euphonium... anyone tried one?
A. Douglas Whitten
Associate Director of Bands
Assoc. Professor of Tuba & Euphonium
Pittsburg State University
hurricane_harry
bugler
bugler

Post by hurricane_harry »

Contramark wrote:I played one of the Kanstul Grande Bugles when I marched corps int he late 90's. it was a very good tuba. I don't think it was the best horn I ever played, but I loved the way t sounded. Surprisingly for the horns being hand made they are very consistant.

Mark

Go try one out. You wont be dissapointed.
i currently play one of those, aside from being a great horn they do have a bit of endurance. especially when the back of it is hit against a skull.

Harry (who is still aopolgizing to his corps mates) phillips
Harry Phillips IV
Miraphone 1291.5
Yamaha 822-S