Puccini - Madame Butterfly

The bulk of the musical talk
Dan Satterwhite
bugler
bugler

Post by Dan Satterwhite »

Madame Butterfly has four trombones (3 + bass) specified in the score. While it is often played on tuba, Puccini generally subscribed to Verdi's idea of low brass orchestration, eschewing the tuba for a cylindrical sound on the bottom. IMO, tuba doesn't have the impact that Puccini was looking for, especially for Butterfly, Tosca, and Turandot. I think that a modern bass trombone works better than a cimbasso as well. An F contra would be interesting. BTW, the last time Palm Beach Opera did Butterfly, I played it on bass trombone.
jsswadley
pro musician
pro musician

Post by jsswadley »

Ditto what Dan says. Try to get seated where you can see the stage because there really is very little to play. The only of Puccini's parts actually marked tuba by him is "Manon Lescaut".
John
LyndaFincher
lurker
lurker

Re: Puccini - Madame Butterfly

Post by LyndaFincher »

hup_d_dup
4 valves
4 valves

Re:

Post by hup_d_dup »

Dan Satterwhite wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2005 2:14 pm Madame Butterfly has four trombones (3 + bass) specified in the score. While it is often played on tuba, Puccini generally subscribed to Verdi's idea of low brass orchestration, eschewing the tuba for a cylindrical sound on the bottom. IMO, tuba doesn't have the impact that Puccini was looking for, especially for Butterfly, Tosca, and Turandot. I think that a modern bass trombone works better than a cimbasso as well.
If a cylindrical sound is what you're after, why would a cimbasso not be satisfactory?

Hup
Do you really need Facebook?
GeoffC_UK
bugler
bugler

Re: Puccini - Madame Butterfly

Post by GeoffC_UK »

aa