Financing a tuba

The bulk of the musical talk
Stefan
bugler
bugler

Re: Financing a tuba

Post by Stefan »

Well, I probably should have posted a quote, but I was thinking specifically of the post where someone mentions buying beer and partying... Yes, I did read the whole thread. Asking questions is one thing. Insinuating the guy doesn't have enough money because he wasted it throughout his undergrad years is judgmental.

Stefan
pierso20
5 valves
5 valves

Post by pierso20 »

People finance all sorts of crap. Financing a tool that is required to do the career you want - something you can't live without doing, is not a "crap" financing situation.

Anecdotal, yes, but I'm sure others feel the same about their own life:

I owe a LOT of student loan debt. VERY similar situation the the OP with family (except I was living alone - no help even for a cell phone). I had to finance my entire education myself. I was in too deep when my family dropped me off into the deep end and walked away to just "quit" school. I was going to have to pay back the loans anyway.

I pay the equivalent of most peoples' rent in student loan bills every month - but I am doing my dream job. I don't get to live lavishly and right now I don't have the extra income some folks have. But I get excited to go to work and I enjoy every minute of it (even the bad moments); something many people can't actually say is true.

THAT is worth the cost of the financing and at the time I was taking out the loans I knew it would be worth if. If the OP feels this way then he should get the instrument he NEEDS to be successful. It doesn't have to be "the best" but it should be enough to help him accomplish his dreams.

To the OP, go for it IF you KNOW this is your calling. You sound like a hard worker and that will likely pay off in the end. Happiness is what we work to achieve in our life and since our professional lives account for a significant chunk of our experiences there is nothing wrong with doing what you need to do to make it happen.

Go for it.
Brooke Pierson

Music Educator
Composer
Composer http://www.brookepierson.com" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank
Ferguson
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Ferguson »

Ferguson
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Ferguson »

C'mon, I bought the last round.

I don't think I posted in this thread yet though, did I?

What's going on here anyway?

Ferguson
/ the best about the internet!!!1!eleventy
// credit cards baby, it's the American way
/// money is cheap right now $3/mo/K
/*4 it ain't the horn that makes the player
TheTuba
3 valves
3 valves

Post by TheTuba »

:shock:
I would put a good signature here, but i dont have one, so this will make do.
TheTuba
3 valves
3 valves

Post by TheTuba »

the elephant wrote:You dug up this long-dead, six year old thread just to post an emoji?
Sorry good sir :mrgreen:
I would put a good signature here, but i dont have one, so this will make do.
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

Stefan wrote:Well, I probably should have posted a quote, but I was thinking specifically of the post where someone mentions buying beer and partying... Yes, I did read the whole thread. Asking questions is one thing. Insinuating the guy doesn't have enough money because he wasted it throughout his undergrad years is judgmental.

Stefan
In my case, it would be more like projecting!! :tuba:

I never judge. 8)
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
WC8KCY
3 valves
3 valves

Post by WC8KCY »

TheTuba wrote: :shock:
Bump
MaryAnn
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak

Post by MaryAnn »

What does that emoji mean? I've seen it numerous times and never figured out the intent. But I'm from before that era and have no problem staying that way.
FarahShazam
4 valves
4 valves

Post by FarahShazam »

Sean bought a tuba using financial aid. That loan was paid off when he got into the army band.
Dude... this is an old thread. Oh well!
--farah chisham
MaryAnn

Post by MaryAnn »

Apparently! And there I was thinking it a new post and was going to give all my sage advice about how it took me seven years to get through engineering school because I kept stopping to work and save up. And how I never bought a new car until 2005 because I was taught to save, not borrow. And how a friend of mine "on assistance" asked my advice on how to manage money and I found out she had a $400 car payment and was stuck because she was upside down. ETC!! I assume the OP is long gone and having a wonderful tuba-filled life now.
Billy M.
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Billy M. »

nworbekim wrote:This discussion came to mind after looking at an email from PayPal. They have an option called PayPal credit that if you can get approved, you can get 6 months loan with no interest if payed before the deadline.

I'd consider getting that approval if I was in the hunt for an expensive instrument and I needed to be able to close the deal quickly. That would give me time to pay it down a bit while shopping for the best loan deal if it were going to take me longer than 6 months to pay it out.
Imagine getting one of those big bad Euro horns... you buy it thinking, "I'll pay it off in that 6 month window." Then you don't... new accounts have a variable purchase APR of 25.74% (source: https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/paypal-credit/faq" target="_blank" target="_blank). :shock:

36 months at $642 a month minimum payment (assuming that Paypal is retroactive... highly possible, if not paid in 6 months) means your interest will be over $7,000.00 for a $16,000.00 horn.
Romans 3:23-24

Billy Morris
Rudolf Meinl Model 45, Musikmesse Horn
Boosey & Hawkes Imperial Eb (19" Bell)
1968 Besson New Standard Eb (15" Bell)