Gig bag solution for a B&S pt-22p

The bulk of the musical talk
Eflatdoubler
bugler
bugler

Gig bag solution for a B&S pt-22p

Post by Eflatdoubler »

I have a B&S pt-22p e flat tuba, and am curious what case people have used...
It came with a Sterling gig bag from Custom Tuba, but I am not overly sold on the amount of padding or the overall quality of the bag.
I tried a Blue Miraphone gig bag which I love, but it was too tight of a fit.
The option I have at the moment is a cronkhite bag, but the closest thing available is a bag designed for a Willson 3400 E flat tuba. They appear to be very similar in size, although I have been told the length of the Willson tuba is 3-4cm longer, and from reading specs it appears to be a 1/2" bigger in the bell.
Has anyone had experience with this? I am investing a good amount of money in a bag, and I want a good fit and a quality bag.
Does anyone have any other options? I have been told the fit is pretty close and should be fine (and I trust the source)- I am curious if there are any other brands or recommendations for a soft case. I am not interested in any type of hard case.
Thanks!
bentuba7
bugler
bugler

Re: Gig bag solution for a B&S pt-22p

Post by bentuba7 »

Send in a sizing form for your horn to Glenn and he will really custom make your case, at the same price. I'm guessing you've been looking on the Horn Guys' website at their sizing info. While the PT-22P is not listed, I'd be willing to bet he has a pattern for it. If not, send him the form! There is link directing you to the forms on the Horn Guys website, but it appears to be broken... Maybe have them email you one.

Try Glenn at http://www.glenncronkhite.com/
Eflatdoubler
bugler
bugler

Post by Eflatdoubler »

I have sent in the sizing form, and it appears he is not making a custom size bag that varies from his current patterns. The Willson 3400 bag appears to be pretty close, although it is 3-4cm longer, and it looks to also be a 1/2" bigger in bell diameter.
I am curious if anyone else has that kind of movement on the interior of their case. I don't mind spending the money, but I want it done right.
Has anyone else tried a bag for this tuba? I am guessing off of my recent e flat tuba survey that there aren't too many 22p owners out there.
I have seen some say the Meinl Weston 2141 is the same horn in many ways, with different wrapping.
MW2141 owners- what bags have you put your horn in?
phaymore
bugler
bugler

Post by phaymore »

Not to drag up an old post, but what bag did you end up getting? I just purchased a PT-22 and I'm in the same boat.
Patrick Haymore
-----------------------
B&S PT-22 Eb
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

My personal favorite are Gotz bags, which I believe are the bags that Meinl-Weston sells with new tubas. I bought my Gotz bag through Bob Tucci's shop a few years ago, and it has been great!
Eflatdoubler
bugler
bugler

Post by Eflatdoubler »

I no longer have the instrument but I had a cronkite bag made for it that I believe was designed for a Wilson but was close enough in specs. Good luck, it is a gorgeous sounding instrument!