LA Phil/Prokofiev/Bobo?

The bulk of the musical talk
Chuck Jackson
5 valves
5 valves

LA Phil/Prokofiev/Bobo?

Post by Chuck Jackson »

Good Morning,

While pulling discs for a shift on Sunday, I came across most of the Prokofiev Symphonies recorded between 1986-87 with the LA Phil with Previn. As I am not sure when Mr. Bobo's tenure ended, I will assume that it was he who was playing. I listened to 5,6, and 7 and must say that it is some of the most musically astute tuba playing on record for these works. Nice fat sound that is always present, never overbearing, always in tune. The low stuff in the 7th is wonderful and the 5th is what you would expect it to be, well I can't use the proper expletives to describe it, suffice it to say it was awe inspiring. For all the hoopla surrounding his solo recordings and the Planets recording, it's easy to overlook the fact that Roger Bobo may have been the greatest orchestral tuba player of his generation. I don't know if these disks are still on the market, I believe they are on the Philips label, but they belong in every tuba players library for their TASTE and MUSICALITY. Yes, Virginia, it is possible to play the tuba and not turn it into a foghorn. And, if memory serves me correctly, not a BAT in sight. Go Figure.

P.S.- the Pedal C# at the recap of the 1st movement of the 7th, yup that real low one, is so present it's amazing, not loud, just present.

Chuck
I drank WHAT?!!-Socrates
poomshanka
4 valves
4 valves

Post by poomshanka »

Yes, these CDs are amazing. The sad thing is that they're long since out of print. It took me over a year of digging around in used CD bins on a regular basis to find the 6th. I've yet to find any of the others.

And Titanic is the best-selling CD in Sony Classical's library. Something's just not right in the world...

...Dave
Biggs
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Biggs »

If you enjoy those, you may want to consider picking up the LA Phil (with Sr. Bobo) recording of the Alexander Nevsky Cantata (possibly my favorite classical piece) and the Lieutenant Kije Suite (they are on the same album).
joshwirt
pro musician
pro musician

Post by joshwirt »

That particular recording of Nevsky/Kije (Telarc) is one that Norm Pearson did as a sub for Roger. Simply amazing playing and one of my personal favorites!

I'm now on the hunt for Sym.'s 5-7 with the LA Phil....any idea on a good place to start?
Biggs
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Biggs »

That particular recording of Nevsky/Kije (Telarc) is one that Norm Pearson did as a sub for Roger.
Really? Kudos to Norm, then![/code]
poomshanka
4 valves
4 valves

Post by poomshanka »

Dylan King
YouTube Tubist
YouTube Tubist

Post by Dylan King »

Didn't Mr. Bobo play a Mirafone 184 in the L.A. Phil? How could he ever have sounded so great without a B.A.T.? :wink: There is little doubt that Mr. Bobo changed the direction of tuba playing forever. In fact, Los Angeles could be the most important city in tuba history.

The work that Roger Bobo, Tommy Johnson, Jim Self, Norm Pearson, and many other L.A. tuba greats has influenced the tuba world more than any other city. The majority of tuba sounds that people have heard throughout the world were recorded here. So much tuba wisdom in education and performance has been developed right here in L.A.

Robb Stewart's shop in Arcadia works magic on instruments with a special touch that isn't matched anywhere. We are so blessed.

Pray we never fall into the ocean. Soundtracks will never be the same.

Being from Hollywood, it's in my nature to brag about my city. Baseball is right around the corner. Go Dodgers!

Spiring is on the way. Then summer and fall and... Wait. Is it next year already? hmm
poomshanka
4 valves
4 valves

Post by poomshanka »

Jonathantuba wrote:
poomshanka wrote:Proko 6 up for grabs:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... eName=WDVW
The price is going high - must be all the tubists bidding against each other!
Yeah, when I was able to find a second copy, I auctioned it off for nearly $50. It started at $1.

What the market will bear, I 'spose...

...Dave