:>) AVANT GARDE for clarinet, tuba, viola and perc.

The bulk of the musical talk
kathott
bugler
bugler

:>) AVANT GARDE for clarinet, tuba, viola and perc.

Post by kathott »

Hello all,
I am seeking repertoire recommendations by modern/avant garde/theatre/third stream composers for a professional performing ensemble consisting of:

(a) clarinet/Eb alto clarinet, tuba, viola, percussion
(b) clarinet, bassoon, trumpet, tuba, viola, double bass and percussion.

Ideally, this would include pieces you have either performed, or heard via concert or recording. The group is looking for well crafted, professional level works involving all/some of these instruments.
Thank you, Kathott
Last edited by kathott on Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:28 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Schmenge Kaiser EEb, 3 valve (two rotors, one piston), with a Kosicup mouthpiece (9.2 mm)
AHynds
3 valves
3 valves

Re: :>) AVANT GARDE for clarinet, tuba, viola and perc.

Post by AHynds »

Here's a few to get you started.

Twice Upon Three Times--Herbert Brun
...and what rough beast...--Marc Satterwhite
Jonah and the Whale--Garth Knox

I'll add more as I think of them.
Aaron Hynds, DMA
Lecturer, Music Business & New Media - University of Kentucky
I like to make and record sounds with metal pipes and computers.
Roger Lewis
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Roger Lewis »

I did the world premier of a piece for clarinet, tuba and 2 percussionists back in my Mannes days. It was very avant garde and quite hard to put together but it was a good piece. I believe the composers names was Yin Lu but would have to track down the part to be sure. He also did another piece for Flute, Tuba and 2 percussionists that was also good, but even more challenging.

Good luck.

Roge
"The music business is a cruel and shallow trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." Hunter S Thompson
kathott
bugler
bugler

Post by kathott »

Thanks for suggestions (thus far)..................
Schmenge Kaiser EEb, 3 valve (two rotors, one piston), with a Kosicup mouthpiece (9.2 mm)
ginnboonmiller
3 valves
3 valves

Post by ginnboonmiller »

There's so much good stuff out there for open instrumentation. Look at Karlheinz Stockhausen, Cornelius Cardew and Mauricio Kagel in general for a start. Specific "classics" of the "avant-garde" include Frederic Rzewski's Les Moutons de Panurge, Terry Riley's In C and LaMonte Young's numbered compositions. Also seek out some library's archive of Source Magazine, which was a repository of a-g compositions in the late 1960s and 1970s.

If you really want to be avant-garde in the true sense of the word, stop looking for extant music. Write stuff. Commission stuff. Improvise stuff. Experiment.

I regularly perform in an improvisational context with a viola player, and we sound great together as a duo and in any context we've found. You don't need advice if you really want to do something different. Advice is, in its very nature, already hackneyed because someone else already thought of it and tried it and knows whether it works.