Optimum Valve Springs - how to?

The bulk of the musical talk
Bob Sadler
bugler
bugler

Optimum Valve Springs - how to?

Post by Bob Sadler »

Is there a way to determine which valve spring would be optimum for a particular horn/piston, select it from a catalogue and order? My horn originally came with springs that could be used for a tractor suspension and the local tech replaced them with some he had in a drawer. Those have worked well for the last 8 years but I'm thinking that if there's a way to get optimal "down easy/up fast" valve springs it would be a pretty cheap improvement in ease-of-use.

Regards,

Bob Sadler
Edmonton, Alberta
ThomasDodd
5 valves
5 valves

Post by ThomasDodd »

Probably not. Trial and error is about the only way.

Ferree has a polygon spring that is 9" long and get cut to size. Might be worth a try, but they aren't cheap.
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Re: Optimum Valve Springs - how to?

Post by Dan Schultz »

Bob Sadler wrote:I'm thinking that if there's a way to get optimal "down easy/up fast" valve springs it would be a pretty cheap improvement in ease-of-use.
"Down easy/up fast" is a great goal but unfortunately in terms of spring dynamics, they go hand-in-hand. Since much of the dynamics depends of the condition of the valves and also the lubricants being used... Thomas Dodd has already pointed out that "this is a matter of trial and error". I have perhaps 100 different varieties of springs on hand. I can't even begin to tell you exactly what I have in my horns. I just 'tinker' with them until I get something that 'feels good'. Besides.... what works for me might not work for you.
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
JayW
4 valves
4 valves

Post by JayW »

I know it is a matter of trial an error...but there is something about Yamaha springs that just seems so much nicer than others.... I had a set put into my 52J and wow did the valves fly. I believe yamaha coats their springs with a rubber like substance that makes them nice and quiet too??
Jay
proud new owner of a kick arse Eastman 632
Photographer
Dog Lover
Hiker