5%
like but just not for a long time at once
25%

Total votes: 61

Dylan King
YouTube Tubist
YouTube Tubist

Post by Dylan King »

Every other station on the AM and FM dial here in Los Angeles is Spanish these days. It's kind of funny, but one of the most common instruments to hear on the radio is the tuba. I hear it while driving, outside my studio, and virtually everywhere I go in public, and my all means could do without it!

I could also do without the fact that I live in a bankrupt state where illeagal aliens come across the border to get free health care and schooling on my dime. No to mention the fact that L.A. radio isn't any good, because the Spanish stations get all the ratings and more and more are switching over all the time.

I took Spanish in high school and college and could never get over the feeling that the language just sounded stupid. Double negatives and a loss of expressive words abound. No wonder is is so easy for the Catholic church to deceive so many Spanish speakers worldwide.

There is no solution to the problem in California, the United States, and around the world that man can think up. Someday soon God is returning to earth to bring justice on His people and free this world of Satan's governement. The time of Jacob's trouble is here now! Until then, I'll just have to change the station.
Chuck(G)
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Chuck(G) »

MellowSmokeMan wrote: I took Spanish in high school and college and could never get over the feeling that the language just sounded stupid. Double negatives and a loss of expressive words abound. No wonder is is so easy for the Catholic church to deceive so many Spanish speakers worldwide.
Hmmm, non-expressive language? Didn't seem to stop Cervantes, Lope de Vega, Jorge Luis Borges, or a whole host of other authors from writing expressively.

Double negatives are not uncommon in other languages.

...and the Catholics may say that it's the protestants who are being deceived. :) It all depends on one's viewpoint.

The Spanish-speaking world has a legacy of music and musicians that could be the envy of the English speaking world. I strongly encourage you to put aside your prejudices and explore it. You won't be disappointed.
Rick Denney
Resident Genius

Post by Rick Denney »

Chuck(G) wrote:Double negatives are not uncommon in other languages.
Slid that one right in there, didn't you?

Rick "who can say stupid things in any language" Denney
Dylan King
YouTube Tubist
YouTube Tubist

Post by Dylan King »

I suppose I should have been clear. Protestants aren't any less deceived than Catholics. Just because they don't worship water stains under freeway bridges doesn't mean I think they are any less decieved. It's the Spanish language itself. How many words are there in the Websters unabridged Spanish Dicionary? How well can the original Greek and Hebrew texts of the Bible be translated into Spanish?

Christianity as a whole is still under heavy influence of the Roman church, as seen in their continued worship on Sunday and observance of pagan holidays like Easter and X-mas.

And of course, I should have been clearer about my taste for Latin music. I have performed with some of the greatest Latin musicians and consider many of them my friends. I dig Latin Jazz and rhythms, and even write them into my work when needed. These banda groups that I hear every day coming from 800 watt car stereos down Venice blvd. may have a lot of tuba, but they don't have a lot of soul. I could do without the language entirely.
Chuck(G)
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Chuck(G) »

Rick Denney wrote:
Chuck(G) wrote:Double negatives are not uncommon in other languages.
Slid that one right in there, didn't you?
Zut alors! Je ne sais pas.
Chuck(G)
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Chuck(G) »

Tony E wrote:I've never had any difficulty translating Homeric, Clasical, Koine, or Literary Koine into Spanish. I've never tried Hebrew, but don't see why it would be problematic, as Coptic and several other cognates clearly translate very nicely into Spanish. Perhaps you could explain what difficulty you're encountering?
Very astute observation, Tony! Spanish is cognate with Latin is congnate with Greek. Although English has a fair sized gob of Romance in it, it's usually classified as Germanic; i.e., cognate with Gothic. So it's not unreasonable to expect that Romance language speakers might have an edge when it comes to translation from Greek.

Of course, that means Hebrew might be best translated into Arabic...

Kreisson siopan estin e lalein paten
jacobg
3 valves
3 valves

Post by jacobg »

Hey yall,
Glad to see some mention of Banda, which is probably the most popular musical outlet for sousaphone players in the world. I recommend reading Banda: Mexican Musical Life Across Borders by Helen Simonett to learn more about it.
The typical "Banda" has 3 valve trombones, 2 alto horns, 3 trumpets, 3 clarinets, sousaphone, and 2 percussionists. In some of the older pictures from Simonett's book the bands use Eb tubas or even Sarrusaphones. All the modern bandas use sousaphones.
Anyone interested in this music should check out the excellent historical compilation Bandas Sinaloenses: Musica Tambora (Arhoolie) or the more modern overview of the most famous banda, Banda Sinaloense El Recodo De Cruz Lizarraga: Coleccion RCA 100 Anos de Musica (RCA)
In addition I have transcribed 3 or 4 complete charts with all parts for a band I play in, Slavic Soul Party. If anyone is interested in the charts pm me and maybe we could work something out. If anyone is interested in the band, visit our website www.slavicsoulparty.com and come to a show in NY.
TexTuba
5 valves
5 valves

Post by TexTuba »

Banda music is soooooo cool!!! It's tough though because most of it is improvisation which I suck at. But boy do I love to listen to it....

Ralph
OldBandsman
bugler
bugler

Post by OldBandsman »

Jacobg mentions Sarrusaphones! What a honker of a bass instrument that is! Back in the late 1940s we had a bass one in our hi school and I took a crack at working it. Big rough tone.
:twisted:
jacobg
3 valves
3 valves

Post by jacobg »

Incidentally, this repertoire makes excellent concert band arrangements, as the bandas are basically a regional adaptation of European military, missionary, and village bands. In the 40's, they picked up elements from American swing bands, hence the three tpts and three trombones and brash contrasts between sections. I have a friend who has adapted some of my transcriptions for a high school big band with much success.
In Helen Simonnett's book, she details how many bands provided entertainment for the town for every occasion. Repertoire included regional music, American swing hits, mambos, danzons, European waltzes, and even Verdi overtures and light classical fare. Later they adapted ranchero, funk, pop, and cumbia.
Only in the past 20 years or so have they become vehicles for pop singers like Thalia; they were previously instrumental. They still adopt the practice of saving the drums for loud instrumental sections while backing up the singers with only horns.
CJ Krause
4 valves
4 valves

Re: Mexican Band

Post by CJ Krause »

Last edited by CJ Krause on Tue Sep 27, 2005 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
TexTuba
5 valves
5 valves

Re: Mexican Band

Post by TexTuba »

Doc wrote:
TubaRay wrote: Even this"bolillo"(sp?) has a CD.
...Y yo tambien. Soy pinche bolillo. ?Comprende, vato?

Doc

That's great!! :lol: :lol:

Ralph
AndyL
bugler
bugler

A Rockin' Banda CD

Post by AndyL »

Of the few Banda CD's I've heard, the one with the most impressive tuba so far is:

"Por Ti" by Banda El Recodo de Cruz Lizarraga
jacobg
3 valves
3 valves

Post by jacobg »

Here is a scan from the cd booklet of the most recent Banda El Recodo cd: En Vivo
This is Carlos Soto Beltran, also known as Jokoki.
Note his nickname in metal lettering incorporated into his 3rd valve slide.
CJ Krause
4 valves
4 valves

Post by CJ Krause »

Last edited by CJ Krause on Tue Sep 27, 2005 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tom Holtz
Push Button Make Sound
Push Button Make Sound

Post by Tom Holtz »

Look at those little alto horn thingys on the stands... Holy crap, this band must sound unreal. Time to hit the record store. Who are these guys? I want my name bolted onto my sousaphone. Sean, can you get "TUBENET" welded onto your axe? As a current member of the Arlington Sound Machine, you should be first in line.

Shockwave
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Shockwave »

Is that a King sousa? His playing is so clean I originally though he must be playing an Eb, but no he's just that good!

-Eric
Tom Holtz
Push Button Make Sound
Push Button Make Sound

Post by Tom Holtz »

Listening to clips of the group "Banda La Costeña" on iTunes.

Hoooo-leeeee $&%&^**$#&@&$&%&$#!!!!

This guy is a player.