New Guynk,

The bulk of the musical talk
Mark E. Chachich
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Mark E. Chachich »

Welcome!

Perhaps talking with the tuba teacher at the college your son will be attending would be a good next move.

If you are driving to Dillon's, spend a couple more hours and drive to the Baltimore Brass Company. Both stores have an excellent reputation for knowlege, honesty and tuba selection (including used).

best of luck,
Mark
Mark E. Chachich, Ph.D.
Principal Tuba, Bel Air Community Band
Life Member, Musicians' Association of Metropolitan Baltimore, A.F.M., Local 40-543
Life Member, ITEA
chevy68chv
bugler
bugler

Post by chevy68chv »

Tell your son to be careful about the only tuba thing. They'll try to work him to death. Right now I'm the only tuba at my school, which has been great because I get to play in every ensemble, but they will definately keep him busy. Whatever he does make sure he keeps in contact and plays with other tuba players, it seems to help.
Rick Denney
Resident Genius

Post by Rick Denney »

LarryR wrote:He needs to use his head, though - lot more time committments in college than HS when it comes to studying, classes, etc...we'll see what happens.
I didn't see that you mentioned his major course of study. If he's going to be a music major with the tuba as his primary instrument, then the advice to consult his teacher at the college is quite useful, and then get your checkbook out.

If the tuba is going to be an avocation while he majors in something else (even if it's music), then I don't see a need to spend $8000 or more on a pro-style instrument. A decent BBb tuba will work fine, and he'll be able to get a better instrument for a given amount of money, especially if that amount is limited.

Doc--quit promoting the 1291's so hard. They don't work for everyone and now they are $8000. There are excellent choices at half that price--instruments plenty good enough for an avocational tubist to enjoy for the rest of his life, but certainly long enough to be on his own and spending his own money.

Rick "who tried a 1291 CC and who frankly doesn't understand the mystique" Denney
Rick Denney
Resident Genius

Post by Rick Denney »

LarryR wrote:Realistically, we're looking in the $2000 - $4000 range....

Rick - if you've caught up with your e-mail and could actuallly open the danged file, you can see my preferred horn in the tarnished silver finish.
I've posted the image in the thread where you first presented it. I did have to work the image over a bit. Your Sony Cybershot is a little noisy in dark conditions. But it shows the instruments well.

Wonderful tubas exist in your price range--if you stick with BBb instruments. And for your son's major course of study and intended activities, I can't think of a reason not to.

I agree that for tuba players with some experience the best approach is to let the tuba pick you. You'll find that Matt at Dillon Music shares that philosophy, and it will be a lot of fun.

Rick "who was within 10 miles of Dillon's yesterday but too busy with real work to make it over there" Denney