quuuuuestionn

The bulk of the musical talk
Chuck(G)
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Chuck(G) »

It's hard to see that having your tongue pierced would improve your playing. So it's probably not a good idea from that standpoint.

But also consider that if you ever intend to perform in a contest or audition, some of the older folks who might be in the position of evaluating you and your performance will likely see the piercing as nothing more than self-mutilation.

Just some food for thought.
Rick F
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Rick F »

I say don't do it... unless of course you want to play percussion at the same time. :lol:
Miraphone 5050 - Warburton mpc (Brandon Jones)
YEP-641S (on long-term loan to grandson)
DE mpc (102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank)
WoodSheddin
5 valves
5 valves

Re: quuuuuestionn

Post by WoodSheddin »

tubaboy wrote:i'm thinking about getting my tounge pierced....... any tuba players out there have their tongue pierced???? did it affect you in any way good or bad??
Nothing practical which is good about it. But this is not something done for practical reasons. You make this decision on your own.
sean chisham
tubapress
pro musician
pro musician

Re: quuuuuestionn

Post by tubapress »

tubaboy wrote:i'm thinking about getting my tounge pierced....... any tuba players out there have their tongue pierced???? did it affect you in any way good or bad??
I would imagine that having a tongue piercing would disrupt the flow of the airstream and could also possibly be of some discomfort in articulation. Just my thoguhts.
Gary Press
gary_press@yahoo.com" target="_blank
TonyTuba
pro musician
pro musician

Post by TonyTuba »

well, no one really knows, or is saying...so...I suggest you do it, and let us know if it works out. Take it out if it doesnt work.
Tony Granados
Triangle Brass Band and Triangle Youth Brass Band, Music Director

http://www.tonytuba.com" target="_blank
http://www.trianglebrass.org" target="_blank
Mudman
3 valves
3 valves

tongue-rings

Post by Mudman »

One of my undergraduate euphonium students has his tongue pierced.

It is not visibly noticeable unless he wants it to be. Speaking in a normal manner doesn't usually make the ring visible.

He did spend several months relearning how to speak with clear diction. I think he still has a bit of a lisp that is a result of the tongue ring.

He can multiple tongue like crazy and the ring doesnt seem to have done anything bad to his playing.

Cons: if you are going into teaching, a tongue ring would probably shoot your chances of winning an interview or keeping a high-school job.

Dentists have reported on the dangers of chipped and broken teeth as a result of tongue rings.
Leland
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Leland »

Pierce your tongue, and when you practice, put in a barbell that's at least twice the weight of anything you'd normally wear. It'll give you a good strength workout, especially when you do your articulation studies. Then, for concerts, put in something really light, or nothing at all, and you'll get maximum speed.

I'd never pierce my tongue, though. I think it's ridiculous, especially for a wind player.
Matt G
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Matt G »

Controversial or not, I have a couple of tattoos. I will probably get some more in the future.

However, I have placed these where they are not seen in regular business attire or even with short sleeve shirts. That is because some people make a value judgement based on things like that. I don't believe that is right, but that is how it is.

Piercing also offers a more continuous possibility for infection. And it does goof up your speech along with a tongue normally swollen for about a week.
Dillon/Walters CC
Meinl Weston 2165
CJ Krause
4 valves
4 valves

Post by CJ Krause »

Last edited by CJ Krause on Tue Sep 27, 2005 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
docpugh
bugler
bugler

Re: Tongue piercing...

Post by docpugh »

Giovanni wrote:I would strongly urge you not to pierce your tongue. Reason: Would you really relish Staph infections? I don't think so. Since the mouth is a "wet area", it is a perfect incubatory environment for all sorts of pathogens. The wound that is caused by the piercing will never heal. It would be subject to constant attack by bacteriological agents-wet and warm areas are perfect environments for "growing things". If you take a piece of bread, put it in a petri dish and place the dish in a warming cabinet at 98.6 degrees you will see something amazing in a short period of time-98.6 degrees being human body temperature. Think thrice before you do it, dear sir.
I agree. The human mouth is a very dirty place. You'd be better off french kissing a dog.
Matthew Gilchrest wrote:Controversial or not, I have a couple of tattoos. I will probably get some more in the future.

However, I have placed these where they are not seen in regular business attire or even with short sleeve shirts. That is because some people make a value judgement based on things like that. I don't believe that is right, but that is how it is.
Off the topic, I have the same approach to tattoos. Mine is on the back of my shoulder over the shoulder blade. Unfortunately, like Matthew says, people are going to make value judgements over piercings, tattoos, whatever. I put mine in a place where I felt I could express myself, but still not have the hassles of judgement in a professional environment.
Carroll
4 valves
4 valves

Do what you want

Post by Carroll »

Bottom line is... do what you want, but be prepared to face whatever consequences follow. I had a trombone student who pierced his tongue and went weeks before his mother knew. I think I could tell right away, but that is not the point. His got infected and was dripping pus inside his mouth. He would play a few measures, wipe out the pus, and play some more. How is that for a possible deterrent? He has since removed the barbell and says he would not go through the ordeal again. (Too much trouble to manage in his jail cell)

My best wishes,
Carroll
Joe Baker
5 valves
5 valves

Logic

Post by Joe Baker »

Okay, everyone else has given you lots of reasons not to:
o Risk of infection, including HepC
o Possibility that others will look down on you
o Pain
o Risk of playing "funny"
o Certainty of talking funny.

So, what are the positives? I seriously can't think of any, whatsoever, but I'm interested in the explanation from those who have seen sufficient benefit to go through with it.

BTW, many people will think less of you for doing foolish things, whether it's smoking, driving too fast, or getting tattoos & piercings. I am such a person, and I make no apologies for that. Others will think less of me for overeating, which is fair of them. We have the freedom to make our own choices, and other people have the freedom to evaluate us based upon those choices. Just remember that they are no more 'wrong' than you are 'wrong' to get a tattoo or piercing.
6 valves

Logic--Joe Baker

Post by TubaRay »

Once again I find myself in agree with Joe. I did not have the good fortune to have a daughter, but if I had...my rules would have been similar to Joe's. The more I read Joe's posts, the more I believe we would become friends if we were ever to meet.

By the way, I simply don't understand why one would WANT to do the tongue piercing thing.
Ray Grim
The TubaMeisters
San Antonio, Tx.
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Post by Dan Schultz »

That piercing may seem like a cool thing to do now... however, I am certain when you are forty you will agree with the folks on this BBS who have spoken out against it... for one reason of another. Make a note in your yearbook that you really wanted to get your tongue pierced and decided against it.
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.