valve oils

The bulk of the musical talk
ThomasDodd
5 valves
5 valves

Post by ThomasDodd »

Rick Denney wrote:
ThomasDodd wrote:Rick, help me out here. What would be the difference in a petro distillate and an oil?
None, as far as I know.
That's what I though. Not sure what the original statement ment then.

And I was loking forward to you're long detailed post:)
I'll bet that the synthetics that are incompatible with mineral oil such as AliSyn and BiNaK are made from polyolesters, and those that are compatible, such as Hetman, are made from polymerized alpha olefin synthesized hydrocarbons. But that is just guessing.
From the AliSyn MSDS
"Lubricant is a synthetic Hydrocarbon Basestock with proprietary additives."

That MSDS was an interesting read too.
Rick "running out of knowledge on this subject in a hurry" Denney
Which far exceeded the knowledge of most who will read the post:)
How you remember the compounds by name is beyond me.

-Thomas
Rick Denney
Resident Genius

Post by Rick Denney »

ThomasDodd wrote:How you remember the compounds by name is beyond me.
That's easy. I looked them up on the Internet. If I have any knowledge, it's knowing which of the bazillion links Google returns that might bear fruit, and which are just trying to sell something.

AliSyn's MSDS suggests that it's made from polymerized alpha olefin with perhaps an added polyolester. If that's the case, it should be similar to Hetman and be compatible with mineral oils. The polymerized or synthezied hydrocarbons should he compatible. It's the polyglycols that are not. In fact, of the synthetic oils I read about, only the polyglycols and silicones are incompatible with mineral oil. Since AliSyn had the reputation for not being compatible, I assumed it was one of those.

It may be that AliSyn claims incompatibility to prevent users from mixing the products, which might ruin the effect of the lubricant.

Rick "who KNOWS that BiNaK is utterly incompatible with mineral oil" Denney
elimia
3 valves
3 valves

Post by elimia »

Hetman oil is fantastic Rick. I gave it a try upon your suggestion and I'm hooked. No more petroleum distillates for me please!

Ryan
Rick F
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Rick F »

For those who use Hetman oils but don't care much for the 'eye-dropper' package (it can take 2 hands), be patient. Joe Hetman told me he knows that many don't especially care for the new 'eye-dropper' bottle, but it's the only one they could find with a 'child-proof' cap. Since it's synthetic, the govt requires them to use a bottle with a child-proof cap. They're trying to find another supplier that can make a standard nozzle-tipped bottle with a 'child-proof' cap.

FWIW, I refill my older empty Hetman bottle with the oil out of the dropper bottle. The nozzle snaps off fairly easily.
Last edited by Rick F on Wed Feb 16, 2005 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Miraphone 5050 - Warburton mpc (Brandon Jones)
YEP-641S (on long-term loan to grandson)
DE mpc (102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank)
MaryAnn
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak

Post by MaryAnn »

Before I got the Hetman light rotor oil I was using Blue Juice, which had been better than anything previously tried. But even with the BJ my rotors were starting to be slow; the Hetman just flat out works fantastic, and it doesn't look like I'll ever have to try anthing else.
MA
bigboom
bugler
bugler

Viper oil

Post by bigboom »

What do people here think about viper oil? I have a friend in band that has not oiled his tuba in band since August and the valves are still fast. I don't think it's a good thing that he hasn't oiled them but I am still amazed that they even move at this point because when I played the horn it was every other day with Al Cass or else I might as well leave it in the case. I am also not sure if it is a synthetic or a regular oil or what it really is. I am kind of looking for good oils for my old middle school band director to use because those horn are never oiled proper and we are looking for a good oil that lasts longer. I am undecided between Viper and Hetmans. just any info on Viper or the comparison between the two would be appreciated.

Ben
Dylan King
YouTube Tubist
YouTube Tubist

Post by Dylan King »

Marvel Mystery Oil and Al cass do the job for me.

ImageImage
Captain Sousie
4 valves
4 valves

Re: Viper oil

Post by Captain Sousie »

bigboom wrote:What do people here think about viper oil?
I don't use anything else, it is the best light oil that I have run into, great for use on new horns. If it is an old horn and the valves are loose, however, I used to use cheapo Holton oil mixed with a drop of 3-in-1 It helps fill the gap a bit.

Sou
I am not Mr. Holland, and you are not my opus!