"Bill Bell And His Tuba"

The bulk of the musical talk
MartyNeilan
6 valves
6 valves

Post by MartyNeilan »

That looks like a 6/4 Martin; I was unaware that Bill Bell played one of those horns.
Adjunct Instructor, Trevecca Nazarene University
Tom
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Tom »

MartyNeilan wrote:That looks like a 6/4 Martin; I was unaware that Bill Bell played one of those horns.
I believe it is a King.

I have several copies of that album and all make note of Bill Bell playing King "basses." Bell seems to have had a long standing relationship with King, although the tuba in the picture very well could be a Martin.
MartyNeilan
6 valves
6 valves

Post by MartyNeilan »

Yeah, I knew about the King affiliation; that's what surprised me. It probably is a King; but the bits did look very "Martinish" to my tired eyes. Still would be cool if it was.
Adjunct Instructor, Trevecca Nazarene University
Art Hovey
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Art Hovey »

It's a Martin, not a King. The story I heard was that when it was time to take the photo for the album cover they wanted a shiny new tuba. Bill called Harvey Phillips and asked him to bring his new Martin to the photo studio. Harvey grabbed that tuba and another one and hopped onto the subway. Perhaps Harvey could clarify or correct me if I am wrong. The album cover does have a note in fine print saying that Mr. Bell plays King tubas.
Tom
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Tom »

Art Hovey wrote:It's a Martin, not a King. The story I heard was that when it was time to take the photo for the album cover they wanted a shiny new tuba. Bill called Harvey Phillips and asked him to bring his new Martin to the photo studio. Harvey grabbed that tuba and another one and hopped onto the subway. Perhaps Harvey could clarify or correct me if I am wrong. The album cover does have a note in fine print saying that Mr. Bell plays King tubas.
Interesting...I've not heard that story before.
Stephen Shoop
bugler
bugler

Bill Bell and His Tuba

Post by Stephen Shoop »

Art Hovey is correct. In looking carefully at the record jacket-- one can see Harvey and Carol Phillips in the reflection of the bell of that Martin tuba. On a related note-- The record jacket was changed because the King company was not pleased with the picture of the Martin tuba. The newer jacket is white in color and features Mr. Bell standing with a King tuba.
Art Hovey
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Art Hovey »

I know he had a custom-made combination tuba and euphonium that was based on the one in your photo. I believe Eli Newberger has it now.