Tuba Stand questions

The bulk of the musical talk
Will
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Will »

I would think that a floor stand would give you more freedom to move around if you needed to. But then that could end up being a bad thing.

heads
Music Teacher
Tubaman485
bugler
bugler

Post by Tubaman485 »

I like the floor stands, first time I ever played with one it was amazing the differences in posture. As well as I think I have it the stand made it so much better. It also enabled me to use more air which is always a plus.

Josh
tubatooter1940
6 valves
6 valves

Post by tubatooter1940 »

I like floor stands but if the horn should fall,It's got a lot further to go when it hits.
Tom
5 valves
5 valves

Re: Tuba Stand questions

Post by Tom »

Brasstring wrote:Hi List,

I have been looking into a tuba stand (for Playing) for my son and have seen the "Tubassist" advertised. Has anyone out there used one? How does it compare to a floor type stand (Good points and bad)?

Thanks for any help you can give me,

Keith
(humble Tuba Dad)
Check out tubanews.com

There was a review of the tubassist, and as I recall Roger Bobo even put in a good word for it.
Lars Trawen
bugler
bugler
Location: Former the cold Sweden, now enjoying the sun in Portugal

Post by Lars Trawen »

Since two years I use the Tubassist for all sitting playing. Mostly because I wasn't able to find a floor based stand that could be placed lower than the chair. Then I found the Tubassist on the Tubenet, it can. It's easily adjustable to fit any chair, any tuba or any player.
For standing playing I use the K&M floor based stand with extended rod. I've a huge Kaisertuba (MW200).
Good luck with either.
Melton/Meinl Weston 200 Spezial
Rick Denney
Resident Genius

Post by Rick Denney »

Brasstring wrote:I have been looking into a tuba stand (for Playing) for my son and have seen the "Tubassist" advertised. Has anyone out there used one? How does it compare to a floor type stand (Good points and bad)?
This gives me an opportunity to write about the new Baltimore Brass stand that I saw at the Army Conference, but I've owned most of the stands available for tubas at one time or another.

There are now five tuba stands on the market. Three of them rest on the floor, one is mounted on the instrument, and one mounts on the chair. The Tubassist rests on the chair, of course. And that is the problem I have with it. (It's also among the most expensive, at $120, though that would not slow me down if it's what I wanted.)

From looking at pictures, it appears to be a flat plate that is strapped, using Velcro, to the surface of the seat. A clamp system is used to aim a rod with a basket for the bottom bow on the end of it. Positioning is quite versatile. In fact, I don't really have a problem with the basket arrangement, though the curvature of the basket seems a little tight for my 6/4 Holton bottom bow. My problem is that it mounts to the seat and depends on the weight of the player for much of its stability. I foresee difficulties with some chairs, and I really don't want to sit on an aluminum plate with holes in it. And I worry that the instrument, especially my heavy tubas, will shift the thing if I take my weight off the chair to adjust my position.

Now, before you Tubassist owners respond and tell me I don't know what I'm talking about because I haven't owned one, let me remind you that Mr. Johnson warns of this problem in his instructions, suggesting the use of a folded towel between the plate and contoured seat bottoms and a pillow on top of it. If he mentioned it there, then it was a problem for some.

I'll take a Tubassist any day of the week over a Stewart Stand, which mounts on the instrument, though. I used to own one. Firstly, the mounting system removed bands of lacquer off the instrument (that may no longer be a problem). The velcro squeaked. And it prevented the instrument from going into a case, and even into a gig bag, without either removing it or struggling with it. The Stewart Stand, however, is wonderful for standing, because you can remove the rubber cup and put the pin rest in a flag-holder's harness. I happily replaced my Stewart Stand with a DEG stand when they became available.

The DEG floor stand is make from thin-walled aluminum tubing, and the design has varied over the years. I used one for many years with my Miraphone, and it worked fine. When I started using it with the much heavier York Master, however, it came undone in a matter of months. The foam separated from the basket, and I had to recall my Captain Torque days to tighten the shaft screw to keep it from slipping. One owner of a DEG stand that I know had to put L-shaped tips on the ends of the legs because the legs bent under the stress of the instrument and would no longer sit properly. The DEG used to be the cheapest of the alternatives, and it was obvious that costs had been cut to achieve that low price point (in the $60-70 range). I think they are fine for lighter isntruments.

The most robust of the floor stands is made by Koenig and Meyer. The K&M stand is made like high-quality percussion stands, of chromed steel. The only non-metal parts are the well-designed rubber tips of the legs and the tough rubber covering over the saddle. I have two of them, one for the house and one for the car to use at rehearsals and gigs. Even though the latter bounces around in the car all the time, it still looks as good as the one that just sits in the house. The downside to the K&M is that it won't really go low enough for some people and some instruments. I use it at its lowest point for my Holton, and with some chairs that's not low enough. I paid $110-120 for mine.

I've saved the best for last.

Baltimore Brass has just come out with a new floor stand, and I think it's a winner. It uses the robust saddle from K&M, but rather than have an unfolding tripod arrangement for the legs, it has legs that individually unfold and lock into a secure socket using a stiff spring. The legs are not adjustible, but they are extremely secure. The construction is all metal, and it's all repairable. Instead of rivets, they used roll pins that can be replaced, for example. It will go lower than the K&M, and it is more compact with folded. It's also black instead of chrome, and therefore a bit more discreet. It's as heavy and as heavily constructed as the K&M, using square and round steel tubing. I want one, just because I think it's slick, and I'd have bought one at the Army conference if I hadn't have blown my play money on music. The best news about the Baltimore Brass stand is that it is priced about the same as the DEG stand, at around $70.

I don't see the BB stand on their website, so if you want one, give them a call. They also have the DEG and K&M stands, and those are available from the usual sources as well.

I should add that ANY stand is better than NO stand, though I'm sure that many will disagree. None of the contrabass tubas I've owned fit in my lap and put the mouthpiece at my lips without considerable muscle required, and I don't like the idea of being all tensed up just to hold the instrument upright. I don't use it for my F tubas, because when they are in my lap, they don't make my legs fall asleep and the mouthpiece comes to my lips. When I hold my Miraphone 186 BBb the same way, the mouthpiece hits me mid-forehead. The Holton, like most of the big Yorkophones, wants to sit at an angle away from my body, which makes it possible to reach the valves. It was clearly designed to rest on the chair, but nobody should experience having the tuba slip off the chair while they are playing it. The York Master is just plain heavy. When the big tubas are on a stand, I can move with them however I need to, without having to hold their weight.

Rick "noting also that back problems seem endemic to tuba players, and who knows from experience that prevention is better than cure" Denney
Last edited by Rick Denney on Wed Feb 16, 2005 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scottw
5 valves
5 valves

Post by scottw »

I have used the K&M stand for 2 years now, and am very pleased with it. The only thing I wish they would do is shorten it an inch or two. I had to cut off 1" to get it to an acceptable height ( 2 minutes work with an ordinary hacksaw), but that's all that can be removed.If your leadpipe is on the high side, this might be a problem. I looked into the tuba-assist, but it looked like too much work every time I stood up; also, what kind of comfort is there sitting on it?
Whatever stand you choose, use it--it's a far better way to play than resting it on your lap or the corner of the chair! 8)
Bearin' up!
ThomasDodd
5 valves
5 valves

Post by ThomasDodd »

Rick Denney wrote:Baltimore Brass has just come out with a new floor stand, and I think it's a winner. It uses the robust saddle from K&M, but rather than have an unfolding tripod arrangement for the legs, it has legs that individually unfold and lock into a secure socket using a stiff spring. The legs are not adjustible, but they are extremely secure. The construction is all metal, and it's all repairable. Instead of rivets, they used roll pins that can be replaced, for example. It will go lower than the K&M, and it is more compact with folded. It's also black instead of chrome, and therefore a bit more discreet. It's as heavy and as heavily constructed as the K&M, using square and round steel tubing. I want one, just because I think it's slick, and I'd have bought one at the Army conference if I hadn't have blown my play money on music. The best news about the Baltimore Brass stand is that it is priced about the same as the DEG stand, at around $70.

I don't see the BB stand on their website, so if you want one, give them a call. They also have the DEG and K&M stands, and those are available from the usual sources as well.
I hope they get pics up soon. I want to look it over. I've been thinking about using a double braced drum throne, and modifying the seat to better hold a tuba. I like that many drum thrones have a screw tio adjust the height. Infinate adfjustment, instead of a few holes for a pin, and more secure than the clap style (like the DEG I think).

Something like the Verve V212 tha WW&BW has for $40. Maybe another $10 for the mods.
I wonder if the manufacturer could be convinced to do it...
Rick Denney
Resident Genius

Post by Rick Denney »

ThomasDodd wrote:I hope they get pics up soon. I want to look it over. I've been thinking about using a double braced drum throne, and modifying the seat to better hold a tuba. I like that many drum thrones have a screw tio adjust the height. Infinate adfjustment, instead of a few holes for a pin, and more secure than the clap style (like the DEG I think).
The BB stand used a screw clamp. But the finish of the steel tube was left rough enough to provide plenty of clamp friction, and the tubing is thick enough to you can crank down on the knob without fear of crushing it. The clamp on the DEG I own is a split-C clamp with a screw in the side, and it depends on clamp friction alone. The design is made worse by the use of a nylon screw. The K&M clamp is a clevis with screw pointed into a collar that pulls the clevis into the tube to clamp it. That's a much better design and it won't damage the tube. The BB clamp is really a thick coller with a knob threaded into it like a set screw. That's the most secure of all, but it requires that thick-walled tube to work. It has it. I don't think slipping will be a problem.

None of the stands I've used have depended on pins in holes for height adjustment, but maybe that was how DEG dealt with the inadequate clamp at some pont. You can do fine adjustment by how far you unfold the legs on the DEG and K&M stands, by the way.

The legs fit into sockets machined into the solid metal base. You fold the leg down, pull it out, and then let the spring pull it into the socket. To fold it up, just pull the leg out of the socket against the spring, and fold up. It's much sleeker looking than the K&M or a modified drum throne.

Rick "who wants the stand to be secure" Denney
ThomasDodd
5 valves
5 valves

Post by ThomasDodd »

Rick Denney wrote: The BB clamp is really a thick coller with a knob threaded into it like a set screw. That's the most secure of all, but it requires that thick-walled tube to work. It has it. I don't think slipping will be a problem.

None of the stands I've used have depended on pins in holes for height adjustment, but maybe that was how DEG dealt with the inadequate clamp at some pont.
The BB sound like a goot designe there. I didn't mean to imply a tubas stand had used pins. Lot's of drum thrones do, including the one that cam in my son's kit. So that was just to differentiate the thrones. I've seen some other styles of throne recently too, but not in person to properly evaluate them.
The legs fit into sockets machined into the solid metal base. You fold the leg down, pull it out, and then let the spring pull it into the socket. To fold it up, just pull the leg out of the socket against the spring, and fold up. It's much sleeker looking than the K&M or a modified drum throne.
I've used that style of leg before. They do work well. I haven't bought a throne to mod yet, so I'll consider the BB stand. I like the non-chrome finish and the base sounds promising. Still, a throne, deigned to support a 200lbs man, should have now problem being secure with something light like a tuba. What the heavest contrabass, what 50lbs? The real trick is in the shaping of the top to prevent slippage.
Dave Roberts
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Dave Roberts »

I've used them all except Dave's device. The Tubassist, in my opinion, is the best. Used it for the first time during the weekend symphony concerts. It'll work on every seat except those plastic concave jobs...need something underneath as Rick suggested. Just don't do a gig with those horrible seats. Rose, from TubaNews turned me on to it. Can't say enough about it.

Adjusts up and down, forward and back toward you.
Rick Denney
Resident Genius

Post by Rick Denney »

ThomasDodd wrote:Still, a throne, deigned to support a 200lbs man, should have now problem being secure with something light like a tuba. What the heavest contrabass, what 50lbs? The real trick is in the shaping of the top to prevent slippage.
The heaviest contrabass is more like under 30 pounds.

You could stand on the BB stand with no problems, and the K&M stand would take it, too. It might not be too comfortable, though. The BB stand uses the K&M saddle, so that's the same either way.

Rick "thinking the real trick is preventing slippage of the tripod clamp rather than the telescoping clamp, based on experience" Denney
ThomasDodd
5 valves
5 valves

Post by ThomasDodd »

Rick Denney wrote:Rick "thinking the real trick is preventing slippage of the tripod clamp rather than the telescoping clamp, based on experience" Denney

Since this is ment to support a persons weight, I don't expect that'd be a problem. Image

Also, the way a thron opens may be different. The top of the legs are fixed to the tube and the lower braces are attached to a sliding ring. It always opne the same, and that ring is at the bottom of the tube when open.

Just not sure what the height range on the V212 is. Probably covers 15" to 24" heights, but maybe only goes down to 17".
ThomasDodd
5 valves
5 valves

Post by ThomasDodd »

Benson wrote:Like Rick, I bought the BB stand at USABTEC. Very Solid!! I am very happy!!! From a stability stand point, I think it is one up on the K&M. From an ease of setting up, I think it is TERRIFFIC. Give them a call.
Can you get some picts? What about dimensions(hight min/max, foot print, weight, folded size)?

I notice there aren't many details on the stie concerning any instrument stands.

-Thomas