Shipping Prices...ouch...

The bulk of the musical talk
Rick Denney
Resident Genius

Post by Rick Denney »

LDC wrote:Looking at these post here... I bet some of you guys or gals would love to have that big coffin to ship your tubas. But, what would the recipient do with the coffin when he gets his horn????
The manufacturers would rather ship the instruments in such a box than in the case. In fact, my understanding is that the cases are often shipped separately.

You can go to your local packaging shop or even a manufacturing facility that packages product for shipment, and they will probably be glad to take your foam peanuts. They store them in huge hoppers made of plastic sheeting, and drop them into their boxes from overhead. They always put peanuts they get from their suppliers into the hoppers so that they are recycled.

Rick "who hates the damn things" Denney
MaryAnn
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak

Post by MaryAnn »

bloke wrote:[ Greyhound Package Express.
What about that guy who shipped his $10k tuba via GPE a couple years ago and never saw it again? There was considerable commentary on the old tubenet. I guess he had no applicable insurance.
MA
Lew
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Lew »

Rick Denney wrote:...

The manufacturers would rather ship the instruments in such a box than in the case. In fact, my understanding is that the cases are often shipped separately.
Rick "who hates the damn things" Denney

To reinforce the idea of shipping the case and horn separately, when I received my King 2341 (old, 2 piece version) in 1993 it was drop shipped from the factory. It arrived on an 18 wheeler (truck freight) in 3 boxes. There was one box for the tuba and 1 for each of the cases. The tuba was shrink wrapped to a sheet of cardboard in a huge box with cardboard stiffeners keeping it isolated from the edges of the box. This prevented any damage that could have ocurred from the horn banging against the case in transit. There were no peanuts or other packing around the horn. I guess they figured that they didn't need it because of the large air gap protecting the horn. I have no idea what this cost them, because I didn't pay separately for shipping due to a mix up with the first horn they shipped.