King 2341 Bore Size?

The bulk of the musical talk
JayW
4 valves
4 valves

Post by JayW »

King, when redesigning the 2341 simply took what worked from the existing 2341...(if you look at the valve section they are pretty much identical) and used the newly designed Bell/main Branch from the Conn 5xJ series and put them together to create a much more compact/lighter horn that still plays well. I imagine it would take much of the "compact feel" away if they had used a parger bore....not to mention its cost would probably be much higher since they would have needed to re-design and re-tool the valve section...which means the R&D would have been much higher.....BUT I would love it if they kept the bore size, and simply tweaked it to accept a larger valve set....hmmmmm.... wonder how much that would cost?? Anyone have an idea if it could be done?
Jay
proud new owner of a kick arse Eastman 632
Photographer
Dog Lover
Hiker
Alex Reeder
bugler
bugler

Post by Alex Reeder »

I believe the new king has a .689 bore, which is fairly small. I think they kept it small for the tone color. A small bore flaring to a 19 inch bell is a lot of conical tubing, which gives it a very rich and resonant sound. And the way the horn is built you can still push it volume-wise.
Getzen G50 w/ York Monster EEb bell
Meinl Weston 2182
PT6P
Eastman School of Music Class of 2008