Traveling with a bell front king.

The bulk of the musical talk
ArnoldGottlieb
4 valves
4 valves

Traveling with a bell front king.

Post by ArnoldGottlieb »

Hi,
I am gearing up for another road gig and my current favorite tuba is a king bell front.
I'm looking for ideas for a road case. I've been on the road for years, on and off but not with this horn. It will be transported in a truck and almost never handled by me. Anybody have any solutions? And for sale links are totally welcome. I may just end up buying a different horn, I'm hoping to explore this option first.
Thanks.
Peace.
ASG
EdFirth
4 valves
4 valves

Re: Traveling with a bell front king.

Post by EdFirth »

If the bell is derachcble there are cases for it. They show up on Ebay from time to time or you could do a WTB in the For Sale section here. If it's a one piece they probably exist but it will be alot harder to find one.If the latter is the case you could get the tenons and cut the bell. You would then also have the option of using a raincatcher on it. The King cases are super sturdy.Good Luck. Ed
The Singing Whale
ArnoldGottlieb
4 valves
4 valves

Post by ArnoldGottlieb »

It is a detachable bell, however, I don't think the king cases I've seen will stand up to semi trucks. Thanks for your response!
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Post by Dan Schultz »

ArnoldGottlieb wrote:It is a detachable bell, however, I don't think the king cases I've seen will stand up to semi trucks. Thanks for your response!
Faced with your situation... I think I would use original cases and build a wheeled travel trunk that hold both the bell and body cases.
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
Art Hovey
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Art Hovey »

I have a King Body case in good shape which I would like to sell.
It would not be difficult to build a padded crate for the bell.