What to do with this?

The bulk of the musical talk
Tubajug
5 valves
5 valves

What to do with this?

Post by Tubajug »

The first trombone player in our community orchestra saw that I like tinkering with things and so he gave me the bell section of a Chinese trombone he got off ebay (he was buying it for the case, and this was all that was inside, no slide section). He said he put it on a slide of his and it's just horribly out of tune with itself, so it hung in his garage for a while.

Anyway, I was going to hang on to the rotor and tubing for possible project use down the road, and making a lamp out of the rest of it. Has anyone ever done this before? Should I go for a floor lamp of some kind or a hanging lamp?

Any other creative ideas besides a fountain? We don't plan on having a fountain in our yard...

Jordan
King 2341 with a Holton "Monster" Eb bell
Eb Frankentuba
Martin Medium Eb Helicon

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving's probably not for you.
NCSUSousa
3 valves
3 valves

Re: What to do with this?

Post by NCSUSousa »

It's really easy to make a good table lamp out of the bell. I've seen a couple made of old metal clarinets (not soprano saxes). They stand on the bell end of the instrument and the bulb goes at the skinny end. Of course they have shades hiding the bulb and the top few inches of the instrument. I think they were fastened to wooden stands for stability (and to hide the cord).

The parts are easy enough to get at a hardware store. You'll need to add the a-lamp socket with a switch. You can buy the 2-wire cord and an easy enough to add plug. That's about all you need other than the lamp shade holder (depending on what kind of shade you want).
You will also need some way to fasten the lamp socket to the skinny part of the bell. I think you can find lamp sockets that are pre-made for this kind of 'crafting' at craft stores.

You may need to punch a hole for the cable at the bottom if you don't want to add some rubber feet. Your wife may prefer having rubber feet to prevent rings on the furniture.

I suppose you could make a floor lamp if you add a section of conduit into the bell and some kind of base to hold it all steady. You'll want to paint the conduit unless you like the look of the zinc coating. I'm not quite sure if it will have a galvanic reaction with the brass inside the bell - you may want to use a few wraps of electrical tape where they touch to prevent any reactions. EMT conduit is the thinnest steel conduit and you can get it in most Lowe's or Home Depot stores. It comes in 10' sticks.
BBb Tuba with 4 Rotors -
TE-2110 (2009) + TE Rose
Mack 210 (2011) + Bruno Tilz NEA 310 M0
G. Schneider (Made in GDR, 1981?) + Conn Helleberg 120S
I earn my living as an Electrical Engineer - Designing Power systems for buildings
Sandlapper
bugler
bugler

Post by Sandlapper »

You could bury the bow and use the bell as a plant stand....
UDELBR
Deletedaccounts
Deletedaccounts

Post by UDELBR »

Tubajug wrote: it's just horribly out of tune with itself
Surely any intonation problems on a trombone can be easily dealt with by slightly altering positions. It's like saying "that type of violin is really out of tune". It's just being played incorrectly (nothing personal against your friend).
bigtubby
4 valves
4 valves

Post by bigtubby »

Home decor ...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
American sailboats, airplanes, banjos, guitars and flutes ...
Italian motorcycles and cars ...
German cameras and tubas ...
Life is Good.