Quintet Music Assistance

The bulk of the musical talk
atxtuba
lurker
lurker

Quintet Music Assistance

Post by atxtuba »

I'm looking for a copy of the Bach's My Spirit Be Joyful for brass quintet arranged by Herforth. I'm missing a few parts and am hoping that someone knows where to find it online. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!
IOS
bugler
bugler

Re: Quintet Music Assistance

Post by IOS »

Give me an email address.
Jack Denniston
bugler
bugler

Post by Jack Denniston »

A great arrangement of a great piece! Let me know if you still need parts. As far as I know it cannot be purchased anywhere, so I think it is OK to share copies.
pgym
4 valves
4 valves

Post by pgym »

Jack Denniston wrote:A great arrangement of a great piece! Let me know if you still need parts. As far as I know it cannot be purchased anywhere, so I think it is OK to share copies.
Nope. It's no different than a work that's out of print: the copyright holder still retains the exclusive right to make and distribute copies, so no copying without permission from the rights holder.

In the case of the Herforth arrangement, the rights holder has apparently granted at least one individual permission to make and distribute copies free of charge, but unless Mr. Herforth or his representatives have placed the arrangement in the public domain or explicitly waived the exclusive right to make and distribute copies, you still need permission to share it.

Don't take legal advice from a lawyer on the Internet. I'm a lawyer but I'm not your lawyer.
eupher61
6 valves
6 valves

Post by eupher61 »

Mr Herforth died about a year ago. I don't remember seeing a copyright notice on the parts I've played.

What an amazing chart!
pgym
4 valves
4 valves

Post by pgym »

eupher61 wrote:Mr Herforth died about a year ago.
In which case, the holder of the copyright is his estate, assuming he did not assign it to another party or place it in the public domain. In either event, the current rights holder's rights, including the exclusive right to make and distribute copies, supersede any permission granted by Mr. Herforth.
I don't remember seeing a copyright notice on the parts I've played.
Copyright exists by virtue of creation, whether or not the creator registers the copyright.

Don't take legal advice from a lawyer on the Internet. I'm a lawyer but I'm not your lawyer.
Jack Denniston
bugler
bugler

Post by Jack Denniston »

I generally support copyrights, but I think that in this case, it is fair, honorable and OK to share photo copies (although it may technically be illegal). When I talked to Harry a couple years ago, he was delighted that his arrangement of MSBJ was still being played and as I recall, he was fine with people sharing photocopies.
pgym
4 valves
4 valves

Post by pgym »

Jack Denniston wrote:When I talked to Harry a couple years ago, he was delighted that his arrangement of MSBJ was still being played and as I recall, he was fine with people sharing photocopies.
Maybe he was, but since he's no longer the rights holder, it's not his call to make.

Tubaryan12
6 valves
6 valves

Re: My Spirit Be Joyful

Post by Tubaryan12 »

Before Harry died, I asked him for a copy of this piece and told him about the problems some were having finding it. He gave me copies and told me I could distribute them to anyone that needed them. Over the year I have had a handful of request.

Today, I was searching for videos of recordings of the piece and decided to scan through the images in Google and came upon this:

https://www.slideshare.net/TharcsioRodr ... ach-spirit

I'm no lawyer, but this website may be in violation of the written agreement found on the cover letter of this reprint if no permission was granted to post it there. The file works, but the printing took much longer than expected to spool.

I'm not sure if you can download it from the International Trumpet Guild. I am happy knowing that Harry's arrangement will still be available for those who want to play it. Trust me, he would be pleased.
Marzan BBb
John Packer JP-274 euphonium
King 607F
Posting and You
olaness1
bugler
bugler

Post by olaness1 »

These copyright discussions keep cropping up from time to time and I keep intending to ask a question from people more knowledgeable than myself. How does the law (I'm assuming US law here as this site is enormously US-centric) work regarding copyright/photocopying of parts that have gone missing from already purchased sets? I've got quite a number of sets (probably counting into dozens) where a lazy trumpet player lost the first trumpet parts, hence rendering the sets unusable. Is it legal to have these photocopied from others, or would something as silly as this really require a full new set to be purchased?

Ola