Music Educators

The bulk of the musical talk
TexTuba
5 valves
5 valves

Post by TexTuba »

:tuba:
Last edited by TexTuba on Tue May 13, 2008 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Impaler
3 valves
3 valves

Post by The Impaler »

I've got a tubist doing the hindemith sonata (1st mvt) for his solo this year......there's tons of tough literature on the list that hardly anyone plays. That's doesn't mean it should be taken off the list right???

I mean, technically, any symphony by a major composer, or a tone poem, etc, is on the list for orchestra, although few ever even attempt it. But that doesn't mean that it shouldn't be a choice right????
Cale Self

Assistant Professor of Music
Acting Director of Bands & Instructor of Low Brass
University of West Georgia
Carrollton, GA
TubaRay
6 valves
6 valves

Post by TubaRay »

The Impaler wrote:.....there's tons of tough literature on the list that hardly anyone plays. That's doesn't mean it should be taken off the list right???
I agree with that statement. In fact, I believe the Texas PML takes many pieces off the list which should be left on it. Things that are out of print are often removed. I do not see the wisdom of this. And many band pieces which are played a great deal are subsequently removed from the list for some unknown reason.

In general, the Texas list is a good one. I feel it should have many more selections on it, however. As for the Hindemith, why shouldn't students be allowed to have a go at it. It is not THAT hard, from a technical standpoint.
Ray Grim
The TubaMeisters
San Antonio, Tx.
TexTuba
5 valves
5 valves

Post by TexTuba »

:roll:
Last edited by TexTuba on Tue May 13, 2008 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TexTuba
5 valves
5 valves

Post by TexTuba »

:roll:
Last edited by TexTuba on Tue May 13, 2008 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom Mason
pro musician
pro musician

Missouri and Arkansas

Post by Tom Mason »

Missouri and Arkansas have a rated list. Both are modeled after the Texas list, but have some changes.

Tom Mason
Rick Denney
Resident Genius

Post by Rick Denney »

TubaRay wrote:As for the Hindemith, why shouldn't students be allowed to have a go at it. It is not THAT hard, from a technical standpoint.
One of the big advantages to works like that being on the UIL list is that the stores will stock them. Thus, I've been able to buy most of the important literature for tuba (whether or not I can play it) by looking in the folder or shelf section marked "Class I, Solo Tuba".

Rick "who got the Broughton, Hindemith, Vaughan Williams, and Gregson following this procedure" Denney
Bill Troiano
5 valves
5 valves

NYSSMA tuba solo list

Post by Bill Troiano »

I was the chairperson for the tuba NYSSMA list in th emid 1980's. I did make several changes to what chairpeople before me decided. As we're not given guidelines, it's up to each chairperson to create his/her own criteria for grading the various solo selections. We were requested to delete music that was out of print and/or not readily available. Publishers were asked to send complimentary copies of their music to the various chairpersons. I especially enjoyed receiving pieces that I never heard of. "Out of print" items were relatively easy to deal with and were deleted from the list. If a publisher did not send music, I sent them a letter requesting that they send their tuba solos for review for inclusion on the NYSSMA list. If they did not respond, I would consider the music "not readily available" and delete their music from the list. These were usually obscure publishers who only printed one or two tuba solos. Once I had the music, I would spend weeks playing all of the pieces and placing them in piles according to where I thought they should be categorized. NYSSMA uses a 1-6 grading system. I would consult with NY/LI area tubists to see if I was on target with certain selections. Many beer gatherings took place to help review the music. Level 6 was the most difficult to review as it contained the most difficult music and was used in selecting participants for the All-State ensembles. "Judas Maccabeus" was listed as a level 6 and I moved it down to a 5 because I felt it was in the same difficulty level as the other level 5's. I deleted some very difficult works as I felt they shouldn't be included on a HS tuba solo list. "Encounters II " was one of those selections. Claude Baker's, "Canzonet" was another that I deleted. Any piece whose range extended beyond f above the staff was also deleted as I felt that HS tubists shouldn't be expected to play that high. I also considered tempos and metronome markings in reviewing music. Some selections were playable musically at slower tempos, but were much more difficult when played at the designated tempo. I had to use the printed tempo markings as a guideline for considering the level of certain selections. Many of the changes I implemented are still in use in the current manual. Of course, some new pieces have been added too. I also requested that ranges be included next to all solo selections. The Exec. Committee, after much deliberation, as it wasn't done before, allowed me to notate this. Since then, it is now required for all brass instrumental solos to have the range included. As I ramble, I just wanted you to know some of the thought process that goes into creating state solo lists, for NY anyway.
Tubadan
bugler
bugler

Post by Tubadan »

For the comment on why the Hindemith is a I on the Texas PML, Texas rates their SOLO LITERATURE from I being the hardest and III being the easiest.