Fix up a Conn 36K

The bulk of the musical talk
nycbone
bugler
bugler

Re: Fix up a Conn 36K

Post by nycbone »

Last edited by nycbone on Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Minkrott
bugler
bugler

Post by Minkrott »

Finished painting my 1960 36k this morning. There were multiple coats under the circus colors. The bell is rough but it looks nice from a distance.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
King 2341 New Style
King 2341 Recording Bell
GRBIC 1907 Eb
nycbone
bugler
bugler

Post by nycbone »

Last edited by nycbone on Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by iiipopes »

Looks great!
Jupiter JTU1110, RT-82.
"Real" Conn 36K.
Minkrott
bugler
bugler

Post by Minkrott »

nycbone wrote:Looks great!

Which paint did you use?
Thanks. I used Rust-Oleum Satin Enamel directly on the stripped surface. I tried Krylon semi-gloss for plastic on a previous Tuba, but it was still tacky 3 months later.
King 2341 New Style
King 2341 Recording Bell
GRBIC 1907 Eb
bighonkintuba
bugler
bugler

Post by bighonkintuba »

My 70's 36K bell is in excellent shape (no chips/gouges/major scratches) but the plastic (ABS?) bell flare section has yellowed.

Is Rustoleum paint suitable for this type of plastic? What sort of surface prep would be required? I would be masking the fiberglass (paint is in nice shape)/metal section and painting only the plastic.

Any experienced advice regarding prep/paint would be appreciated.
Minkrott wrote: Thanks. I used Rust-Oleum Satin Enamel directly on the stripped surface. I tried Krylon semi-gloss for plastic on a previous Tuba, but it was still tacky 3 months later.
P@rick
bugler
bugler

Post by P@rick »

bighonkintuba wrote:My 70's 36K bell is in excellent shape (no chips/gouges/major scratches) but the plastic (ABS?) bell flare section has yellowed.

Is Rustoleum paint suitable for this type of plastic? What sort of surface prep would be required? I would be masking the fiberglass (paint is in nice shape)/metal section and painting only the plastic.

Any experienced advice regarding prep/paint would be appreciated.
Don't paint it. Wet sanding with fine grit sanding paper will bring back the white(isch) plastic. The yellow discoloration is only on the surface area.
bighonkintuba
bugler
bugler

Post by bighonkintuba »

Interesting...

What is the texture/appearance of the surface after sanding? Do you have any close-up pictures?

Thx!
P@rick wrote: Don't paint it. Wet sanding with fine grit sanding paper will bring back the white(isch) plastic. The yellow discoloration is only on the surface area.
P@rick
bugler
bugler

Post by P@rick »

bighonkintuba wrote:Interesting...

What is the texture/appearance of the surface after sanding? Do you have any close-up pictures?

Thx!
The plastic part of the bell is “just” plastic. There are no surface layers so you won’t change the texture/appearance of the surface after sanding. But you need to use very fine sanding paper. In case the surface texture is too rough after sanding just go over it again with even finer sanding paper. Wet sanding will give the best result.

And if you don’t like the end result you can still paint it together with the rest of the bell and body.

I like the result on my bell in general. Unfortunately my bell was painted black and in some areas where the bell has deeper scratches the black paint is still visible. I intend to paint the body and bell completely so that’s not a problem…but I have more and more doubts whether I should sand it further and leave the plastic part of the bell unpainted (like original) :| :roll: