The bulk of the musical talk
Jose the tuba player
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Jose the tuba player »

Last edited by Jose the tuba player on Tue Dec 06, 2022 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WTB OLDS SOUSAPHONE WITH 20 INCH BELL
Jose the tuba player
3 valves
3 valves

Last edited by Jose the tuba player on Tue Dec 06, 2022 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Heliconer
bugler
bugler

Re: Olds 97 20' Sousaphone

Post by Heliconer »

I don't know about them other than they really are small! Kind of a 3/4 sousa. I just did a play condition on one of these. It even had the original case, which is nothing more than reinforced cardboard with some foam pads inside. They play great though, response is fantastic, although the bell comes out at a weird angle to allow head clearance.
A bunch of metal fart noise machines
Jose the tuba player
3 valves
3 valves

Jose the tuba player
3 valves
3 valves

Last edited by Jose the tuba player on Tue Dec 06, 2022 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Biggs
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Biggs »

http://youtu.be/2UVIeV94o4I" target="_blank" target="_blank
Jose the tuba player
3 valves
3 valves

Last edited by Jose the tuba player on Tue Dec 06, 2022 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
onebreath
lurker
lurker

Post by onebreath »

I was doing some research on my horn this morning and came across your post. I own one of these beauties and play it on a daily basis - it is a lovely horn. What information would you like?

I've attached a photo from just after a cleaning 6 months ago (she's going back in for another one this week!) And on my website you can see some video of it being played (first video is us playing with Dr. John...) http://mightysoulsbrassband.com/" target="_blank" target="_blank

I'm actually looking to have a flight case made for her if anyone has any leads.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sean Murphy
sean@beingart.com" target="_blank

Being:Art LLC
http://www.beingart.com" target="_blank
1Breath Music
http://www.1breathmusic.com" target="_blank
Mighty Souls Brass Band
http://www.mightysoulsbrassband.com" target="_blank
Jose the tuba player
3 valves
3 valves

johncarstairshallam
lurker
lurker

Post by johncarstairshallam »

I have had one of these for many years. I believe the Model 20 was aimed at juniors but the older I get the more I appreciate it! Weight is just under 20 pounds. I don't understand the comment about the funny bell angle. I was taught that the centre line of the bell should not be too far out from the line of the body "circles" but I see a lot of people trying to get the bell facing over the player's head.
Back to the baby Olds..... It plays very well over the whole range. I use a John Ridgeon mouthpiece which is about the size of a Wick #4. It can be overblown and then gets brassy but it is hard to do this.
In short, I love it
Jose the tuba player
3 valves
3 valves

johncarstairshallam
lurker
lurker

Post by johncarstairshallam »

Sorry, but my wife has been in hospital , 12 operations, so I haven't found time to do very much. In fact I played the little sousa just once in the past year. I am really thinking of parting with it ( along with other items like a monster Conn recording bass, double belled euphonium and maybe some of my 40plus trombones)
Don't all rush - I live in North East England.
John
tokuno
3 valves
3 valves

Post by tokuno »

Jose the tuba player wrote:
johncarstairshallam wrote:I have had one of these for many years. I believe the Model 20 was aimed at juniors but the older I get the more I appreciate it! Weight is just under 20 pounds. I don't understand the comment about the funny bell angle. I was taught that the centre line of the bell should not be too far out from the line of the body "circles" but I see a lot of people trying to get the bell facing over the player's head.
Back to the baby Olds..... It plays very well over the whole range. I use a John Ridgeon mouthpiece which is about the size of a Wick #4. It can be overblown and then gets brassy but it is hard to do this.
In short, I love it
would you mind posting pictures of your horn?
I think the "funny bell angle" refers more to how it points up at the sky, than from side to side. At least, that's how mine is. When it's nicely balanced with both bits and a comfy gooseneck angle, the bell points upward, about 30 degrees beyond horizontal.
I initially assumed I had something maladjusted, but after trying different angles of all the moving parts, this is the closest I can get it to horizontal.
With bits & neck and no mouthpiece, this one weighs about 18 pounds, and I comfortably carry it with no shoulder pad.