speaking of alternate materials...

The bulk of the musical talk
Chuck(G)
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Chuck(G) »

bebeababa wrote:Is that organ pic for real?
Yep, it's a photo of Rosales Op. 24 at the Mickey Mou---Walt Disney Concert Hall in LA.
Rick Denney
Resident Genius

Post by Rick Denney »

Chuck(G) wrote:Almost all (Atlantic City Convention Hall and the Hill organ at Sydney Town Hall are the only exceptions I'm aware of)) 64' stops are "resultant" stops; that is, the illusion of a 64' sounding stop is produced by sounding a 21 1/3' stop at the same time as a 32' stop.
I was told that the Skinner organ in the Washington National Cathedral has 64' basso diapason pipes, arranged horizontally behind the other pipes. I was told that by the organist David Majors while he was conducting the weekly Sundary afternoon organ recital. I didn't lay eyes on the pipe, though.

Rick "who thinks the Skinner is a fine-sounding organ" Denney
Chuck(G)
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Chuck(G) »

Rick Denney wrote: I was told that the Skinner organ in the Washington National Cathedral has 64' basso diapason pipes, arranged horizontally behind the other pipes. I was told that by the organist David Majors while he was conducting the weekly Sundary afternoon organ recital. I didn't lay eyes on the pipe, though.
Rick, Moises would know for certain, but I believe the 64' Bombarde in the pedal division is electronic on this particular instrument. Or so I've heard.
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Re: speaking of alternate materials...

Post by Dan Schultz »

ken k wrote:
TubaTinker wrote:
DirtyErnie wrote:I'm thinking i would love to have a helicon or some form of tuba made out of a solid block of granite or marble.
As a much easier experiment, you could find an old helicon and encapsulate the entire thing in cast acrylic... leaving only the bell opening and access to the valves, slides, and receiver.
where can one acquire cast acrylic?
k-
McMaster-Carr
http://www.mcmaster.com/

Search for 'acrylic casting compound'.
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
KarlMarx
bugler
bugler

Post by KarlMarx »

Chuck(G) wrote:
bebeababa wrote:Is that organ pic for real?
Yep, it's a photo of Rosales Op. 24 at the Mickey Mou---Walt Disney Concert Hall in LA.
Myndir additionales:

http://www.rosales.com/opus/opus24ss/

Carolus Pictoresticus
tubatooter1940
6 valves
6 valves

Post by tubatooter1940 »

Dirty Ernie,aren't tubas heavy enough already?I was taught to never coat out an instrument (especially wooden guitars) because it would dampen vibrations and deaden the sound.
I had the good fortune to spend a year at the Benedictine Monastery at Cullman,Alabama.There was a organ in the chapel with six keyboards and pipes (at least thirty footers) protruding thrugh the ceiling.I was one of twelve trumpets that played in the choir loft with that huge organ.Down on the chapel floor hundreds of monks sang gregorian chant in four part harmony.The acoustics of the chapel were lively and the sound was all pervasive.I'll never forget it.