KMEA

The bulk of the musical talk
Gorilla Tuba
pro musician
pro musician

KMEA

Post by Gorilla Tuba »

For all of you who will be in Wichita, Kansas for the KMEA conference, come by the Pitt State booth and say "Hi." I'd enjoy meeting some fellow tuba and euphonium players. For those in the KIB band, I'll see you in the morning for chair placement.
A. Douglas Whitten
Associate Director of Bands
Assoc. Professor of Tuba & Euphonium
Pittsburg State University
Gorilla Tuba
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Gorilla Tuba »

I am sad to report a lack of interesting information regarding instruments at KMEA. Unlike Texas conferences, there were very few instruments to try, There were some Accent tubas and euphoniums which I didn't play. There was a Conn 52J in satin silver that really played well. I only tried it again because I fellow band director/ tubist wanted my opinion on the instrument.

I did, however, meet some great young tuba and euphonium players. For those in the KIB band and those who came by my booth, Thanks for taking the time to say hi.

I understand that it is expensive to bring cool stuff to shows across the country. Surely you get more band for your buck in Texas or at midwest. But the Kansas students buy horns, too. Of the 8 Tubas in the KIB band, only 2 were using school owned BBb tubas. Of the 6 euphs, only 1 was a school owned horn. That tells me that there is enough of a market to justify bringing something other than sousaphones and budget priced BBb tubas.

I go to MENC conferences to meet people, not try horns, so I don't feel jipped. But as a young college student or high school senior looking at horns, it would sure be cool see something other than the school owned Yamahas or surfing the brasswind site for tuba dorn.
A. Douglas Whitten
ai698
pro musician
pro musician

Post by ai698 »

I was at the New Mexico convention and here a picture of the tubas at NMMEA:

There were some great proline trumpets and trombones, though.
Steve W

Rudolf Meinl RM45 CC, Meinl-Weston 46 F, Mack-TU410L
tuba
bugler
bugler

KMEA

Post by tuba »

As a former KIB player, I can vouch for the fact that there has never been much of a "cool tuba presence" at KMEA. I remember going to another state's MEA convention when I was in high school, and being amazed at what they had, and what Kansas lacked. Let's not forget that Kansas music educators have produced tuba players like Jack Tilbury, Jon Voth and Kelly O'Bryant. Think about how many up-and-coming Jacks, Jons and Kellys could benefit from some Quality Vendor Representation at Kansas' largest annual music conference.
TexTuba
5 valves
5 valves

Post by TexTuba »

:|
Last edited by TexTuba on Tue May 13, 2008 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gorilla Tuba
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Gorilla Tuba »

There was far more than just the Kansas Intercollegiate Band (KIB). I used that sample to show that of the 14 tuba/euph students in the band, at least 10 had their own horn... thus there is a market in the state.

There was the high school All-State band, sever "clinic" bands and featured performers. In short, lotsa tubists and euphoniumist who will likely buy a horn soon.

I understand why the Big tuba shops don't come... But Yamaha, Conn, Besson and others were there... why not bring a tuba or two? I know that I took a horn home from Conn's booth last year that turned into a sale.

Having worked for yamaha myself, I know its a pain in the rear to ship tubas to MENC events, but that doesn't mean that I'm not dissapointed.
A. Douglas Whitten