Really out of tune.

The bulk of the musical talk
Captain Sousie
4 valves
4 valves

Really out of tune.

Post by Captain Sousie »

I haven't had time to check it out with a tuner to see how far off it is, but my little 1949 Conn Eb is playing really flat with everything pushed in. Could it be that my mouthpiece shank barely fits in 1/2-3/4"? If so, where would I get a cheap small (euro?) shank mouthpiece? I looked at Brasswind, but they didn't have anything in a cheap price range that I could find, now it could be that I may be a bit blind. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Sousie
I am not Mr. Holland, and you are not my opus!
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Re: Really out of tune.

Post by Dan Schultz »

Captain Sousie wrote:I haven't had time to check it out with a tuner to see how far off it is, but my little 1949 Conn Eb is playing really flat with everything pushed in. Thanks, Sousie
It's not likely the difference in the receiver engagement will amount to more than a few cents. Check the horn for leaks and worn valves.
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
Chuck(G)
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Chuck(G) »

Get your tuner out and set it to A=435. If your Eb plays in tune, you've got a veneered and generated "low pitch" setup, though 1949 seems to be a bit late for that.

You might need some main tuning slide trimming, if the valves are tight and there are no leaks.
Anterux
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Anterux »

Your tuba is too short for a CC.
But too long for a Eb.

Cut it.

Realy. First exclude other possibilities. then, cut it.
Chuck(G)
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Chuck(G) »

I completely missed your statement about the mouthpiece.

:oops:

You can start by getting yourself a Denis Wick (usually in stock) non-"L" mouthpiece (e.g. DW 2, not a DW 2L) which has the smaller "Besson" shank. Alternatively, have a new, modern receiver fitted to your leadpipe and use a standard mouthpiece.

Then, if the horn still plays considerably flat, cut it.

:)
Captain Sousie
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Captain Sousie »

There is a DD sousa over in the Ebay forum :shock: :oops: :lol: :wink:
I am not Mr. Holland, and you are not my opus!
elimia
3 valves
3 valves

Post by elimia »

Make sure there isn't a sock in your bell!

You laugh, but my cleaning cloth (old sock) slipped down into the first bend in my euphonium inside the gig bag. I went to rehearsal and was a step flat with all the slides pushed in. I didn't realize what was the problem into I got home that night.

I told my sectionmates about this at rehearsal this week and they almost wet their pants. ha ha.
jacobg
3 valves
3 valves

Post by jacobg »

I believe using a mouthpiece that is too deep and wide for the horn will also make the horn play flat. Try a smaller mouthpiece, like a 25.
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Post by Dan Schultz »

elimia wrote:Make sure there isn't a sock in your bell! .... ha ha.
My main Dixie horn (the bell-front King in my avatar) is where a rubber chicken lives :!: :shock: I store it there between gigs. It's used as a prop to thow at a euph player who 'forgets' to play his 'Indiana' solo and plays 'My Old Kentucky Home' instead. He gets zapped with the rubber chicken. I have on several occassions forgotten to take the chicken out of the bell. It doesn't take more than a bar or so to figure out the problem :!: :D Corny but fun.
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.