Outside dimensions of MTS 1207V case

The bulk of the musical talk
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Outside dimensions of MTS 1207V case

Post by bort »

What are the *outside* dimensions of an MTS case? It's been a long time since I've seen one in person, and I can't remember how big they are (or seem) compared to the tuba itself. Not sure if it will fit in my apartment or my car...

Seems like a hard case could be a good idea for me (now or in the future), if I have enough room for it.

Thanks! :tuba:
roughrider
4 valves
4 valves

Re: Outside dimensions of MTS 1207V case

Post by roughrider »

This is a huge case. I had one for a Holton/Yamaha and ended up replacing it with a Cronkhite gig bag. I know from experience that it will not fit in any way into the trunk of a Mercury Grand Marquis and the only way to transport is by having it take up the entire back seat! You'll find muscles in your arms, back and shoulders wrestling that thing in and out of a vehicle it actually fits in! :shock:
1930 King "Symphony" Recording Bass BBb
1916 Holton "Mammoth" Upright Bass BBb
1994 King 2341 Upright Bass BBb
Wedge H2 Solo mouthpieces
Stofer-Geib mouthpieces
tofu
5 valves
5 valves

Post by tofu »

It's so big that New Yorkers in New Bort City would call it a Studio Apt. and fork over $3000/month to live in it! :P
ralphbsz
bugler
bugler

Post by ralphbsz »

The MTS 1209 is actually a little smaller than Greg said, about 47" high; the 27x25" at the bottom matches ours. The MTS 1207 must be a little smaller.

The SKB cases seem to be a little smaller than the equivalent MTS cases (also lighter); we have the SKB case that matches a MTS 1207, but it's not at home right now (orchestra camp); I can post the measurements next week.

Clearly, a Cronkhite bag is much smaller, and more convenient. And less protective. I would never send an expensive tuba to a place like high school in a Cronkhite bag, in particular if the horn has to sit unattended in the band room for most of the school day. What if a fat viola player trips and falls onto the gig bag? What if a clueless freshman oboe player tries to move the tuba, and drops it valves first onto a french horn case? On the other hand, for a community band rehearsal (where the tuba goes from the rear of the car to the tuba player's shoulders, to the rehearsal room, right back out to the parking lot, and gets driven home in the car), a Cronkhite bag is much easier, and in an environment with responsible adults it is safe enough.
king2ba
bugler
bugler

Post by king2ba »

MTS is based in Elkhart, and I was at Woodwind and Brasswind when they started making these cases so I've tried everything imaginable in them. The 1207 was made to fit the Conn 5xJ series of tubas. MTS wanted to sell the shell with less padding under their own brand, too. The 1209 is nothing more than the 1207 cut in half and an extra 4 to 6 inches added in the middle to make the case longer. (It's been a while, so I don't remember how much they added for length.)

A PT7 would fit in a 1209 (with some custom foam work). The 1207 would fit a 4/4 Rudy...but the horn would be too close to the edge of the case for my taste.

Either way, you are talking about a big end that could fit the big bells of the Conns....20+" inside BEFORE the padding. It's a big case, but should fit in most cars.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Thanks for the replies, everyone! Tofu, you're not too far off... :cry:

king2ba, if the 1207 is a little too snug for the Rudy, which would you recommend?

I'm still mulling over the idea of a flight case, which is certainly overkill for 90% most of my needs, but for the other 10% of my needs, it is appealing.
king2ba
bugler
bugler

Post by king2ba »

1209 would work for sure...1207 might work if you have someone that could adjust the bottom bow foam...I never wanted to go to that trouble since the Rudy I had at the time had a flight truck.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Great, thanks!