What is your 'routine'?

The bulk of the musical talk
MacedoniaTuba
bugler
bugler

Re: What is your 'routine'?

Post by MacedoniaTuba »

Usualy start with breathing gym(10-15 minutes max),5-10 minutes of buzzing,Mr. Emory Remington's warmup drills for trombone, Mr. Chris Olka's drills, Mr. Roger Bobo's book(some of the exercises),little bit of Arban , Bordogni etudes and some orchestral excerpts at the end. Even though if i find something better-fit to my playing exercise,i might put it inside the daily routine. I am thinkig of getting more attention on the tongue and the staccato.
Cheers!!!
Meinl Weston Tuono
cmonte
bugler
bugler

Post by cmonte »

I usually squeeze in two sessions a day ranging from 35-50 minutes. I allow a range because I believe that my chops aren't always consistent day to day. I base my routine on the Interlochen low brass routine.
I start with some meditation to get my focus and a clear mind then create/edit a few goals for the day so I don't think of other things to do for the rest of my practice time. (~3-5 minutes)
Warmups- scales, tone, low range, etudes (~10-15 min)
Repertoire- solos, experimentation (~15-20 minutes)
Cool down- long tones, low register, review session, plan next sessions (~5-8 min)
-Carmela (I'm a girl)
Carm.Monte (at) yahoo.com
Meinl Weston 25
University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee Music Education Major
chronolith
4 valves
4 valves

Post by chronolith »

The first thing I do when I pick up the horn is try to play something technical with tonguing, dynamics, and intervals. Nothing too serious, maybe 30-60 seconds worth. Improvised is better. This serves as a smack in the face and a jumpstart for my air. Sounds stupid to start this way but it works for me.

On occasion I will put in Roger Lewis' spit valve drill if I need a bit more "waking up".

Next I start on the first partial and start doing widening intervals down into the low register (C - B - C, C - Bb - C, C - A - C...) while using a big piano/forte/piano crescendo decrescendo (peaking on the lower note). I try to be as musical as possible on these, and also make them last as long as possible while "budgeting" my air and timing. In fact I try to get out of the note-y stuff as quickly as I can to move on to things that require musical phrasing otherwise I get bogged down into minutiae.

Next I will move on to Borogni alternating between regular register and down two octaves, again focusing on the musical aspects of it as much as possible. If I am working on the F tuba I will also throw in the exercises as written (octave up).

Then I get out the Cichowicz flow studies and choose at random. At this point I also add in transposition since I am already reading treble clef.

After that I spend at least 30 minutes improvising once I have the basics up and running. If I am having fun I just keep going with it. This is a good time to switch the tape on.

If nobody else is home I will then turn on my electronic drone through my sound system and just flow along with it on the horn.

I treat my entire routine (if you can call it that) as a performance. Puts me in the best mindset.
deholder
bugler
bugler

Post by deholder »

I suck as a player. So i just keep working through the Rubanks advanced vol 1 and 2.
Firsr, a few breathing exercises and a bit of buzzing then scales and low/ high tones. Then long tones. Then the next lesson in the Rubanks.

But I suck and I am not a professional and I doubt I even have a category. I just love playing.
Uncle Buck
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Uncle Buck »

Back when I was playing "seriously," I had a rigid routine that I never deviated from involving a lot of long tones, slurs, and etudes before I started playing anything else.

In retrospect, I believe rigid adherence to a routine contributed to me not performing so well when "real life" landed me in situations when I had no choice but to perform without having gone through the routine.