They are kidding, right?

The bulk of the musical talk
OldsRecording
5 valves
5 valves

Re: They are kidding, right?

Post by OldsRecording »

I, however, am holding out for the handmade Yamaha copy of the Holton-stenciled YBB-103. The YamaYamaHolton.
bardus est ut bardus probo,
Bill Souder

All mushrooms are edible, some are edible only once.
oedipoes
4 valves
4 valves

Post by oedipoes »

tbn.al wrote:
Maybe you should move.
Good idea, but moving to the US is not really on my wish-list...
- I'm currently living a lot closer to the yamaha facility where the Yamaha 'Custom' instruments are being made. (and closer to all European instrument manufacturers)
- The relative price of a Yamayork (wrt the price of a house) is actually cheaper here :D (go figure)

Off topic:
If you really want to know, take a look at this map: http://www.standaard.be/berekenen/huizenprijzen
I'm living in the north-west, in one of the light-yellow areas.
If you click on the map, the prices you get are the mean prices for that area in EUR for (in that order): a house, a villa, a flat, and the price per m² for ground.
Michael Grant
bugler
bugler

Post by Michael Grant »

"Each instrument is painstakingly constructed by a very small number of highly skilled craftsman..."

...the price figures in the amount paid to the families of the workers for the pain they must endure while making this tuba.

"The instrument has a muscular low register with a very defined core that couples well with the bass trombone* in the orchestral setting..."

...outside of the orchestra setting they barely speak and even avoid eye contact if they happen to pass one another on the street.

* except for Charles Vernon

"The YCB-826S can play so soft it exhibits only a sheen barely audible in the orchestra at times."

Really? I can make that claim no matter what horn I'm playing. Soft. Loud. Extra loud. If they blindfolded you, you'd never know I was there.
Michael Grant
Wessex HB24 BBb Helicon
King 2341
Michael Grant
bugler
bugler

Post by Michael Grant »

Here is another Yamaha CC. You see a lot more of these. Price is probably why.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael Grant
Wessex HB24 BBb Helicon
King 2341
SplatterTone
5 valves
5 valves

Post by SplatterTone »

A YCB826 or 100,000 Klondike bars.
The stress of these difficult choices wears a body down.
Good signature lines: http://tinyurl.com/a47spm
Biggs
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Biggs »

bloke wrote: Some of my offspring (who, likely, "earn" more than Wade) sport bank account balances (as well as "home equity") which resemble that of a newborn. (They married people who didn't grow up in bloke's house. :| )
I think if your offspring did marry people who grew up in bloke's house, that would create a whole new set of problems...
nycbone
bugler
bugler

Post by nycbone »

Last edited by nycbone on Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Curmudgeon wrote:
bloke wrote:...and take a look at friggin' "Live Free or Die" New Hampshire. :roll:
At least NH has no sales tax.
Or income tax. The overall tax burden in NH is pretty middle of the road though.

On the tax freedom map, it appears that I'm moving from one blue state to another.... Again...
Biggs
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Biggs »

bloke wrote: Check out Wade's state's ranking...and - well - mine...
Property tax is calculated based on value of property, yes? I don't think it's controversial to say that property in, say, Los Angeles County, CA is more valuable (at least in terms of assess-able market value) than any equivalently sized property in, say, Hinds County, MS. So it shouldn't be surprising that property taxes, when expressed as a simple sum of dollars, are higher in places where property ownership itself is more valuable.

A map that expressed the county-by-county ratio of [property tax]/[income], or a similarly useful percentage (i.e. property tax rates instead of property taxes) would go farther toward proving your point. I have no idea if that map would match the one you posted, be the exact opposite, or somewhere in between, but it would be better data-wise.
SplatterTone
5 valves
5 valves

Post by SplatterTone »

the more ability to purchase Yamaha 826's
... or 100,000 Klondike bars.
Good signature lines: http://tinyurl.com/a47spm
Biggs
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Biggs »

bloke wrote:Is it just a bit ironic that - generally - the more the land and house are taxed where one dwells in America, the higher the likelihood of being shot ?

bloke "I'm not going to divulge the amount nor the rate of annual real estate tax that I pay. I really like the 56-people-per-square-mile (or, if you will, 1/11 person per acre) thing, and really don't want (were the real estate tax rate to become more widely publicized) to crowd that stat' much more. The less taxed, the more ability to purchase $40,000 Yamaha 826's to blast you with, my dear..."
You're more likely to be shot where there are more people...and property is more valuable where there are more people. Ironic? No. Coincidental? Yes.

Biggs "also a fan of country living"
toobagrowl
5 valves
5 valves

Post by toobagrowl »

oedipoes wrote:
- I'm currently living a lot closer to the yamaha facility where the Yamaha 'Custom' instruments are being made.
Aren't Yamaha 'Custom' instruments made in Japan? Japan is further east than China...
It's true that central Belgium is closer to Japan than the central US is. But the US west coast (CA, OR, WA), Hawaii, and Alaska are much closer to Japan than Belgium is.

Type in any country or state to see distance:
http://www.distancefromto.net/distance- ... s/to/Japan
bisontuba
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bisontuba »

I bought my house in the town instead of the village to avoid additional village taxes, yet I walk across the street and go over the railroad tracks and I am in the village. I enjoy village life without the extra village taxes --and the house has increased in value according to Zillow by over 23% in just nearly a year and a half! Very happy & thankful! :D
Mark
oedipoes
4 valves
4 valves

Post by oedipoes »

tooba wrote: Aren't Yamaha 'Custom' instruments made in Japan?
The owner of the Yamayork I played told me he had it been worked on (they did some custom work on his custom tuba :D ) several times at Yamaha in Germany.
That's why I supposed they were actually being built there, but I could as well be wrong.