OFFICIAL LIST of horns/players that won a job

The bulk of the musical talk
Leto Cruise
bugler
bugler

Re: OFFICIAL LIST of horns/players that won a job

Post by Leto Cruise »

Thanks, SplatterTone. I'm sure many are curious to know if he auditioned on this horn to disprove the theory of shiny horns being essential to success :!:
Leto Cruise
Professional Tubist/Actor
YamaYork CC
MRP F
Leto Cruise
bugler
bugler

Post by Leto Cruise »

Added some more bores.
Leto Cruise
YamaYork CC
MRP F
tkdchamp2021
lurker
lurker

Post by tkdchamp2021 »

Does anybody know Forrest Byram's horn?
Ace
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Ace »

tkdchamp2021 wrote:Does anybody know Forrest Byram's horn?
I think maybe he plays a variety of tubas. The one depicted in this link seems to be a Cerveny 681(?)

http://www.thefreight.org/classical-freight-1" target="_blank

Ace
Tom
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Tom »

Ace wrote:
tkdchamp2021 wrote:Does anybody know Forrest Byram's horn?
I think maybe he plays a variety of tubas. The one depicted in this link seems to be a Cerveny 681(?)

http://www.thefreight.org/classical-freight-1" target="_blank" target="_blank

Ace
I see what appears to be a Miraphone 186 with the long 5th valve setup.
The Darling Of The Thirty-Cents-Sharp Low D♭'s.
ral1988
bugler
bugler

Post by ral1988 »

Do you care about knowing regular military band positions (excluding DC, Academies, etc)? There are a lot of military musicians who "won" positions to play tuba for a living.
poomshanka
4 valves
4 valves

Post by poomshanka »

Minor typo:

http://www.stlsymphony.org/en/musicians ... l-sanders/" target="_blank

Great list!
Dave Amason
Leto Cruise
bugler
bugler

Post by Leto Cruise »

Thanks for the corrections. To answer your question, yes, any type of position that pays for professional services can be added to the list. Just let me know the position, the player who won it, so forth. Any type of military job is acceptable as well.
Leto Cruise
YamaYork CC
MRP F
rodmathews
bugler
bugler

Post by rodmathews »

I was offered and accepted the Sacramento Symphony principal tuba position in 1991 - I played a PT-5 rotary prototype (very similar to today's PT-6) and a Meinl Weston 45 rotary valve F tuba. I don't say I "won" that audition because Forrest Byrum was first offered the job and he declined it. I believe he played his Holton 6/4 CC and his Besson Eb.

I won the Santa Rosa Symphony audition in 2002 playing a PT6-P CC tuba and a B&S PT-10 F tuba.

Today I play that same PT6-P CC tuba and a Yamaha 822 F tuba.

I've been runner-up for a number of regional and smaller orchestras using either the PT-5 or PT-6 and a variety of F tubas. I've never really felt like my equipment was what did or didn't win the job for me. I remember one audition in Richmond, VA where Rich Serpa and I went back and forth for two or three final rounds, and we could not have been playing more different instruments. I felt like I played well, and Rich won the job. I don't feel like me playing a different instrument or an instrument more similar to Rich's would have changed the outcome.

Dave Kirk told me a story about auditions one time. He said they are like going to Baskin Robbins. If you show up and want strawberry ice cream and the guy tries to convince you to try whatever the flavor of the month is, you are probably still going to want strawberry. If you show up to an audition as Rocky Road and they want Strawberry, you won't get the job. There is really nothing you can do other than play your best and hope you are what they are looking for.

Rod
windshieldbug
Once got the "hand" as a cue
Once got the "hand" as a cue

Post by windshieldbug »

I won Principal Tuba in the Delaware Symphony in 1980 with my Marzan slant-rotor CC and Distin piston Eb.

BTW, 1) Tubas with the most point and shoot intonation changes for every chord in a professional ensemble. The Equal Temperament used by a piano and tuners only means equally out-of-tune.

Mike
Instead of talking to your plants, if you yelled at them would they still grow, but only to be troubled and insecure?
RyanSchultz
pro musician
pro musician

Post by RyanSchultz »

If I'm recalling correctly, I seem to remember Chris Olka telling me that he used four tubas for the Seattle audition: the aforementioned Nirschl, a MW 2000, a MW 45slp and his Alex F. Steve Campbell was one of the finalists with, if I'm rembering correctly, a PT6p.

Didn't Ja'ttik win Portland (Oregon Symphony) with a PT6 or PT6p?

Paul Evans won Tacoma Symphony with a MW2165 and a Pat Sheridan Besson Eb (circa May 2000). He was also a finalist for my job with the same equipment.

I won Pacific NW Ballet with a really good PT-3 and a PT-10. I used the same equipment when I won Yakima Symphony (PNB was September 2000 and YSO August 2000).
Last edited by RyanSchultz on Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
__
Pacific Northwest Ballet Orchestra and Auburn Symphony Orchestra

University of Puget Sound
https://www.pugetsound.edu/faculty-pages/rschultz/" target="_blank

http://www.RyanSchultzMusic.com" target="_blank
http://www.facebook.com/Ryan-Schultz-373732966126361" target="_blank
Steve Marcus
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Steve Marcus »

RyanSchultz wrote:Paul Evans won Tacoma Symphony with a MW2165 and a Pat Sheridan Besson Eb I (circa May 2000).
Paul sold me his 4/4 Nirschl CC when he was in the process of acquiring the MW2165 in the summer of 1999. That's still my main axe, along with a 6/4 Neptune CC on loan from a very generous friend. Coincidentally, my bass tuba is also a Besson 983 (Pat Sheridan Eb).
Steve Marcus
http://www.facebook.com/steve.marcus.88
Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia
RyanSchultz
pro musician
pro musician

Post by RyanSchultz »

I'm not sure if this was posted previously, but, if I'm remembering correctly, Matt Good told me he won Dallas with is MW 2165.

On that note, didn't Ed Diefes win New World and then Syracuse with a 2165?
Last edited by RyanSchultz on Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
__
Pacific Northwest Ballet Orchestra and Auburn Symphony Orchestra

University of Puget Sound
https://www.pugetsound.edu/faculty-pages/rschultz/" target="_blank

http://www.RyanSchultzMusic.com" target="_blank
http://www.facebook.com/Ryan-Schultz-373732966126361" target="_blank
tkdchamp2021
lurker
lurker

Post by tkdchamp2021 »

Does anyone know what horn Perry Hoogendijk uses in the Concertgebouw?
Kory101
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Kory101 »

He plays an HB-50
bud
bugler
bugler

Post by bud »

For the West Point no hire March 2009, I played a MW 2000. The other finalist had a PT 6.

Then, in West Point #2 August 2009, I bought a production 6450 from Chris Hall (they had told me my sound was too small among other problems with my playing at the no hire). So at the next semi-finals, I went in and blew my brains out on the 6/4! :tuba: :tuba: :tuba: I was not asked to the final round this time where Rachel Hertzberg won the gig on a 4/4 HB, I think???

I won the 2009 Asheville Symphony on the production MW 6450 and a handmade gold brass B&S 3100.

I won the 2009 US Air Force Heritage of America Band job also on the production MW 6450 and the B&S 3100. Kyle Huron also got a job that day, US Air Force Band of Flight, on a PT 6 (P?). I think Kyle won the 2012 US Navy Band job on a MW Thor!

I won the Westmoreland Symphony audition in 2008 on the MW 2000 and B&S 3100, and I was runner up at 2008 Opera Cleveland and 2008 Akron with this same set up.

Colby Fahrenbacher won the 2012 US Air Force Heritage of America Band audition on a PT 6 rotary and PT 16. I swore his PT 6 was a 6/4 from behind the screen.

The size and acoustic of the room can have a huge impact on the sound of the tuba. I think 6/4's especially have a tough time in a dryer or low ceiling smaller room no matter who's playing. And then 6/4's get the glory in a hall. In the Air Force my government CC's were a MW 3450 and a MW 6450/2. Playing excerpts on them in a concert hall back to back had two very different results! Playing them back to back in the extremely dry band rehearsal room gave very similar results between the two tubas. Unfortunately, many auditions don't take place in halls but rather in super dry rehearsal rooms, tiny practice rooms, or even a bar (Louisville).

I teach in a little room on Mondays and usually feel really bad about myself in demonstrations when I bring my 6450/2 instead of my 2250. Monday nights, I'm often frequenting the for sale forum! But then my ego gets pumped back up on Thursdays when I teach in a concert hall. I usually manage to not need the for sale forum again until Monday.

Bud Holmes
tusabtuba
bugler
bugler

Post by tusabtuba »

I got, won I guess, the following jobs:

Buffalo Philharmonic 1966 1930s York
l'Orchestra Symphonique de Quebec 1968 MW Bell Model altered by Carl Geyer (famous Chicago horn maker)
The United States Army Band (Pershing'w Own) 1971 1930s York

John M. Taylor
Tuboxchef
bugler
bugler

Post by Tuboxchef »

My F tuba is a PT-16.
Derek Fenstermacher

I own tubas.
Leto Cruise
bugler
bugler

Post by Leto Cruise »

Added lots of new names to the list and horns. Please keep them coming!
Leto Cruise
YamaYork CC
MRP F
Leto Cruise
bugler
bugler

Post by Leto Cruise »

Thanks Adam - I'll be sure to correct that. :!:
Leto Cruise