OFFICIAL LIST of horns/players that won a job

The bulk of the musical talk
Leto Cruise
bugler
bugler

Re: OFFICIAL LIST of horns/players that won a job

Post by Leto Cruise »

Jay Bertolet wrote:Yes, I played those three horns to win both of those jobs. I don't use the Nirschl much with the opera (except when playing with the Palm Beach Symphony, which is the same orchestra) but the Willson and M-W are used every season
Updated along with runner ups. Was Miami and Grand Opera also in 1985? I put that for now as a placeholder.
Leto Cruise
Professional Tubist/Actor
YamaYork CC
MRP F
The Big Ben
6 valves
6 valves

Post by The Big Ben »

Mojo workin' wrote:What did all of these players drink before going to bed the night before their respective auditions?

We have a right to know.
Maalox with a Pepto-Bismol chaser. Doesn't help much with nervousness but does a fine job with the symptoms.
Jay Bertolet
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Jay Bertolet »

Leto Cruise wrote:Was Miami and Grand Opera also in 1985? I put that for now as a placeholder.
No, those later jobs were secured in 2008 (Florida Grand Opera) and 2011(Miami Symphony).
My opinion for what it's worth...

Principal Tuba - Miami Symphony, Kravis Pops
Tuba/Euphonium Instructor - Florida International University,
Broward College, Miami Summer Music Festival
EdFirth
4 valves
4 valves

Post by EdFirth »

Chris Olka won Seattle in 1999(I think) on a Nirschl that got toasted on the flight there. t had previously belonged to either Warren Deck or Scott Mendoker. Just to clarify it was the York copy model .Ed
The Singing Whale
Leto Cruise
bugler
bugler

Post by Leto Cruise »

Fixed the dates on that and added Chris. Would anyone prefer the list to be alphabetized by brand name?
Leto Cruise
YamaYork CC
MRP F
emcallaway
bugler
bugler

Post by emcallaway »

I believe that Chris Olka's Nirschl was owned by Warren Deck.

viewtopic.php?t=17997&p=148604
Adam C.
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Adam C. »

No band jobs listed yet? OK I'll bite, for whatever it's worth.

U.S. Coast Guard Band - 1998 - Adam Crowe - Kurath CC
U.S. Coast Guard Band - 1998 - Rich Denton - Rudy Meinl 5/4 BBb
U.S. Coast Guard Band - 2002 - Steve Lamb - Nirschl 4/4
Leto Cruise
bugler
bugler

Post by Leto Cruise »

Thank you, Adam. Added the band jobs to the list.
Leto Cruise
YamaYork CC
MRP F
EdFirth
4 valves
4 valves

Post by EdFirth »

Chris had one that he got from Warren as well as another one he got from Scott M. Not sure which one he had at the audition but I got to play on both of them. Ed
The Singing Whale
Leto Cruise
bugler
bugler

Post by Leto Cruise »

EdFirth wrote:Chris had one that he got from Warren as well as another one he got from Scott M. Not sure which one he had at the audition but I got to play on both of them. Ed
One for home and one for work. 8)
Leto Cruise
YamaYork CC
MRP F
marktuba
bugler
bugler

Post by marktuba »

minor update-

when I got the Toronto gig I was also playing a Yamaha Eb YEB 321S (still playing both those horns)

when I got Jacksonville in 1976 my only horn was a 3/4 Rudolf Meinl.

Mark Tetreault
Mark E Tetreault

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench; a long plastic hallway where pimps and thieves run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"- Hunter Thompson
joh_tuba
4 valves
4 valves

Post by joh_tuba »

Reaching deep into some very flaky brain cells on this:

John Hardisky won the Air Force Band of Flight audition with a 5/4 Rudy CC in 2003.

Matthew Nelson won the Army Field Band audition with a PT7P(did the entire audition with just that horn) in about 2000.

Charles Ortega played a Miraphone 186 I believe in the Tubafours tuba quartet at Disney. When that folded he won the audition for one of the premier DC military bands with that horn. Don't recall which group or the exact year.
Leto Cruise
bugler
bugler

Post by Leto Cruise »

Updated Mark's situation and added a few more heavy hitters along with popular F tubas.
joh_tuba wrote:Charles Ortega played a Miraphone 186 I believe in the Tubafours tuba quartet at Disney. When that folded he won the audition for one of the premier DC military bands with that horn. Don't recall which group or the exact year.
Did Charles win Disney with the 186? Also if someone can correct me on Oregon, please feel free. I've been tipped off that JáTtik Clark won on an unspecified form of PT-6.
Leto Cruise
YamaYork CC
MRP F
Leto Cruise
bugler
bugler

Post by Leto Cruise »

bloke wrote:It wasn't the gu-dammed Thor that allowed me to "win".
Added to the list, thanks for your contribution. Is the 186 info correct for you and Marzan on James Jenkins?

I understand the Thor didn't win the job. The thread isn't meant to glorify the equipment as the sole reason for winning (and I use the term "win" to describe the honor in receiving a much sought after position) the job. The player is hands down the most important factor in the equation.
bloke wrote:Here's why I'm poo-pooing this thread:
I thought I was making it pretty clear in my initial post the reason for this thread's creation. There is no underhanded motive here. Forgive me if the thread gave off the wrong impression as this is not what I'm after.
Leto Cruise
YamaYork CC
MRP F
EdFirth
4 valves
4 valves

Post by EdFirth »

Charlie Ortega was a Student musician in the college program. He played in the orchestra at Epcot.The students couldn't work with the pros by union rules. I was in the two day quartet up to the end when I went back into the World Band and saw him occasionally running errands in a pargo for Majic Music Days. Everyone thought he was a fine player and he did play on an old Mirafone that he thought was bigger than a 186, and he did "win" the audition on it but the now defunct College Program was replaced with Majic Music Days which, instead of housing the players for the summer and bringing in "clinicians" for them, and working them into the ground(they were mostly all dark by the third week), they now bring in high school bands. They pay admission, and play once or twice and return home. Since Diz makes a profit on them they have multiple bands all over the parks. That's why there are about a third of the pro bands now. It is brilliant and the guests do enjoy the fresh faced, playing their little hearts out kids. Mabye more than the professional burned out husks who have been doing it for years. And so it goes. Ed
The Singing Whale
nycbone
bugler
bugler

Post by nycbone »

Last edited by nycbone on Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
EdFirth
4 valves
4 valves

Post by EdFirth »

My wife just reminded me that Majic Music Days does bring in "clinicians" but unlike the former program that featured guys like Rob Mc Connel, Rich Matteson, and Canadian Brass, they now use guys from the Main Street Plilharmonic which replaced the World band and Doesn't have a Dixieland band, or play big band concerts, or do sit down town band concerts in Town Square. The kids probably don't know the difference but the Disney beancounters sure do. so these kids shell out right around a hundred bucks each to come down here, at their own expense, play a parade at 3PM, HOT!, maybe do another performance , like at Epcot, and attend a "clinic". Buy that Disney stock! Ed
The Singing Whale
MikeMason
6 valves
6 valves

Post by MikeMason »

Bloke,Jackson symphony is my kinda gig! A bourbon tasting and a wine pairing in the same season :wink: now if they only had a craft beer night...
Pensacola Symphony
Troy University-adjunct tuba instructor
Yamaha yfb621 with 16’’ bell,with blokepiece symphony
Eastman 6/4 with blokepiece symphony/profundo
Uncle Buck
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Uncle Buck »

Leto Cruise wrote:
bloke wrote:Here's why I'm poo-pooing this thread:
I thought I was making it pretty clear in my initial post the reason for this thread's creation. There is no underhanded motive here. Forgive me if the thread gave off the wrong impression as this is not what I'm after.
While I think that particular comment from Joe was a little bit of him treating this board like his front yard and this thread like the teenagers who play football there, the remainder of the post from which this quote came, while slightly off-topic for the thread, contained extremely valuable insight for anyone who aspires to success in a tuba audition. That post is an example of the reasons this board still is valuable (but the value requires mucking through a lot of . . . stuff.)
MikeMason
6 valves
6 valves

Post by MikeMason »

Concerning James Jenkins,my college teacher while at the u of Alabama,I believe he won Alabama symphony on the Marzan b flat and a university owned besson f,Naples Phil and Jacksonville symph(fl) on the Marzan and a b&s symphonie,later added a giant York b flat to stable and yam 822 f,then had Marzan stolen.
Pensacola Symphony
Troy University-adjunct tuba instructor
Yamaha yfb621 with 16’’ bell,with blokepiece symphony
Eastman 6/4 with blokepiece symphony/profundo