Re: History of the Holton 345

Post by roweenie »

bloke wrote:
roweenie wrote:
toobagrowl wrote:Even the slide-tubes were hand-hammered
How was this accomplished?
dent removal...??
:D
"Even a broken clock is right twice a day".
toobagrowl
5 valves
5 valves

Post by toobagrowl »

roweenie wrote:
toobagrowl wrote:Even the slide-tubes were hand-hammered
How was this accomplished?

Scroll down to June 9 2013 :wink:

http://www.brassark.com/journal.html

Yeah, dent work can reveal it too. You can see the hammered/rippeled look after taking dents out. Clearly visible on my vintage Holtons. I also took a leadpipe off a vintage tuba early this year. The seam on it is CLEARLY visible. If old leadpipes can be hand-made, why not old slides and slide crooks :?:

Dent work looks different (smoother) on seamless/hydroformed/drawn tubing. And I somehow find it hard to believe that tubas made 100 years ago had hydro-formed tubes :lol: But please correct me if I'm wrong.
roweenie
pro musician
pro musician

Post by roweenie »

That's a conical trombone leadpipe pictured.

Hydroforming isn't the only way to make brass tubing. Drawbenches have been in existence for many years, and is the way that trombone slides are still made to this day (the ones I saw in the Conn-Selmer factory that they use to make Bach trombones were probably at least 80 years old).

Before hydroforming, crooks were filled with pitch (or lead) and hand bent on mandrels, but the tubing they were made from was machine made. Any hammering done to them was to remove ripples introduced during the bending process.
Last edited by roweenie on Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
barry grrr-ero
4 valves
4 valves

Post by barry grrr-ero »

There are two 345 CC's in the S.F. Bay Area that I'm aware of and they both sound fabulous (strong players too, obviously). One of them used to belong to Floyd Cooley. The other one will probably be used in Santa Cruz very shortly for the Cabrillo Music Festival (modern programs).

John Fletcher told me that Arnold Jacobs found the 345 that he used. I saw Fletch' play Mahler 1 and Mahler 3 under Abbado in Royal Festival Hall. He asked he if he sounded too loud in comparison to everyone else. I told that since I was seated upstairs, I certainly had no trouble hearing him!
mikalengen
lurker
lurker

Post by mikalengen »

The local amateur wind band where I live have one. It is assumed to be from the -60's, and used to belong to the symphony orchestra in the nearest city. It was originally a four valve horn, but some time in the seventies got a fifth valve added for the right thumb. At the same time the fourth valve was replaced with a rotor valve also operated by the right thumb. I think the work was done at the Gronitz factory. Interesting solution.
roweenie
pro musician
pro musician

Post by roweenie »

mikalengen wrote:The local amateur wind band where I live have one. It is assumed to be from the -60's, and used to belong to the symphony orchestra in the nearest city. It was originally a four valve horn, but some time in the seventies got a fifth valve added for the right thumb. At the same time the fourth valve was replaced with a rotor valve also operated by the right thumb. I think the work was done at the Gronitz factory. Interesting solution.
I'd be curious to see how this was accomplished (and pondering, "what situation would this 'solution' resolve"?)
timayer
3 valves
3 valves

Post by timayer »

roweenie wrote:
mikalengen wrote:The local amateur wind band where I live have one. It is assumed to be from the -60's, and used to belong to the symphony orchestra in the nearest city. It was originally a four valve horn, but some time in the seventies got a fifth valve added for the right thumb. At the same time the fourth valve was replaced with a rotor valve also operated by the right thumb. I think the work was done at the Gronitz factory. Interesting solution.
I'd be curious to see how this was accomplished (and pondering, "what situation would this 'solution' resolve"?)
Having a koala in the tuba section. Image
roweenie
pro musician
pro musician

Post by roweenie »

timayer wrote:
roweenie wrote:
Impressive reply, sir 8)
Rick Denney
Resident Genius

Post by Rick Denney »

I wonder if it was originally a 3-valve BB-340, to which both a fourth and fifth valve were added.

Or maybe it was an attempt to remove the step—the fourth valve is a 3/4” bore but the tubing is larger—.810? Though I’d rather sleeve the tubing down a bit in the straight sections.

Rick “this thread brings back memories” Denney
timayer
3 valves
3 valves

Post by timayer »

roweenie wrote:
timayer wrote:
roweenie wrote:
Impressive reply, sir 8)
A wise man once said, "Even a broken clock is right twice a day."
roweenie
pro musician
pro musician

Post by roweenie »

timayer wrote: Having a koala in the tuba section. Image

Gives a new meaning to the expression "thumbs up"...... :D