Echo Taps Project

The bulk of the musical talk
ken k
6 valves
6 valves

Echo Taps Project

Post by ken k »

There was an Associated Press article in our local paper Monday about an "Echo Taps" Project by the group "Bugles Across America." Evidently there is a lack of buglers to perform taps at the ever increasing number of military funerals for verterans of WWII, the Korean conflict and Vietnam. I know some people who volunteer their bugling services here in the south-east PA area.

What the "Bugles Across America" group wants to organize is a special mass performacne of "Taps" on Armed Forces Day, May 21. This is to take place in New York state. Their goal is to get 410 buglers to stretch 41 miles (one bugler every 1/10 of a mile) between two National Cemetaries starting a Woodlawn National Cemetary in Elmira, NY to Bath, NY. The way it is to work is that once the taps cal is sounded by the first bugler it would be echoed by each succeeding bugler down the road until it finally reaches Bath National Cemetary.

Its open to all brass instruments not just bugles in fact they are hoping to have a one mile stretch in Cooper Plains NY of just tubas since there was a tuba-loving soldier from that village.

So what is everyone doing on May 21?

ken k
JayW
4 valves
4 valves

Post by JayW »

do you have to be in the service to participate or is this open to everyone? This sounds like an incredible idea and I can think of several people including myself who would love to help out such a cause..
Jay
proud new owner of a kick arse Eastman 632
Photographer
Dog Lover
Hiker
ThomasDodd
5 valves
5 valves

Post by ThomasDodd »

JayW wrote:do you have to be in the service to participate or is this open to everyone? This sounds like an incredible idea and I can think of several people including myself who would love to help out such a cause..
No service requirements.
Check their homepage for more.
Signup if you can play.

I even bought a bugle just for this use. Sounds better than a trumpet.
No way I can make the Echo project. Good luck to all who can.