Favorite Warren Deck recording?

The bulk of the musical talk
greatk82
3 valves
3 valves

Re: Favorite Warren Deck recording?

Post by greatk82 »

I need to spend some time listening to this.
Tubainsauga

Post by Tubainsauga »

Dan Bradley wrote:There was a Teldec release in the 90's with a live Prokofiev 5 with Kurt Masur. He was miked very well and just sounded amazing.DanB
The tuba playing on this recording is so good, it was recommended to me by a woodwind professor.
adsteve
bugler
bugler

Post by adsteve »

doublebuzzing
3 valves
3 valves

Post by doublebuzzing »

The NYP did a Fantastique (on Decca) and a Rite of Spring (on CBS) with Mehta and I recall that he could be heard quite well :)

The best Mehta recording with Warren being heard well is probably the Mahler 5 on Teldec.
happyroman
3 valves
3 valves

Post by happyroman »

the elephant wrote:The recording I posted is absolutely nothing like this at all. It has monstrous brass. It is fantastic. I have never bothered to listen to the other Teldec recordings, probably because they have the rep you guys are talking about. I would try to listen to this one if you can find it. I put it on, turn it up, and wallow in the power of the brass. HAHAHA!!!

$8.48 shipped is a great price to give a listen to a fairly rare CD. Someone needs to take a chance and give a listen.
Based on the recommendations here, I ordered a copy from another source. I managed the classical music department at a CD store when Warren was playing with NY, and have heard most of their recordings. Many are excellent, including the Prokofiev recording mentioned elsewhere in this thread.

For some reason, the engineering on the Franck is just very poor (and I have listened to multiple discs to confirm it). I have to say it was one of the most disappointing listening experiences I ever had, because I had so eagerly awaited the release of that recording.

One other recording that is exceptional is the recording of Shostakovich 7th. I was listening to it with my headphones once, and my wife said it sounded like music to murder people by!
Andy
happyroman
3 valves
3 valves

Post by happyroman »

doublebuzzing wrote:The NYP did a Fantastique (on Decca) and a Rite of Spring (on CBS) with Mehta and I recall that he could be heard quite well :)

The best Mehta recording with Warren being heard well is probably the Mahler 5 on Teldec.
And the bonus is Sam Pilafian playing second tuba on the Berlioz!
Andy
happyroman
3 valves
3 valves

Post by happyroman »

Dan Bradley wrote:There was a Teldec release in the 90's with a live Prokofiev 5 with Kurt Masur. He was miked very well and just sounded amazing.

I feel like I heard him do a nice Bydlo on recording, but I don't remember which recording specifically.

DanB
The Prokofiev 5 recording also includes the two Romeo and Juliet Suites.

Bydlo is on the DG recording of Pictures with Sinopoli.

There is also an excellent Respeghi recording of Pines and Fountains with Sinopoli.
Andy
toobagrowl
5 valves
5 valves

Post by toobagrowl »

I don't have all the recordings listed above. But I dug out the Deck recordings I do have:

-Scheherazade, etc/NY Phil/Masur/Teldec label
-Tchaik 4/NY Phil/Bernstein/DG label
-Copland 3 etc./NY Phil/Bernstein/DG label
-Tchaik 5, 6, Romeo & Juliet/NY Phil/Bernstein/DG label
-Wagner 'Die Walkure', 'Gotterdammerung', 'Reinzi'/NY Phil/Mehta/Sony label
-Bruckner 7/NY Phil/Masur/Teldec label
-Mussorgksy, Ravel/NY Phil/Sinopoli/DG label
-Brahms 2 & Academic Festival Overture/NY Phil/Masur/Teldec label
-Prokofiev 5 & Romeo & Juliet Suites 1&2/NY Phil/Masur/Teldec label
-Mahler 5/NY Phil/Mehta/Teldec label
-Mahler 1/NY Phil/Mehta/Sony label
-Berlioz Symphonie Fantastique/NY Phil/Mehta/Decca label

I also have the Meinl-Weston sextet recording on the Angel label and a couple of the Canadian Brass CD's with the combined NY Phil & Boston Symphony brass sections. Deck, Schmitz & Dallenbach on tubas .........oh yeah! :tuba:
toobagrowl
5 valves
5 valves

Post by toobagrowl »

happyroman wrote:
Dan Bradley wrote:There was a Teldec release in the 90's with a live Prokofiev 5 with Kurt Masur. He was miked very well and just sounded amazing.

I feel like I heard him do a nice Bydlo on recording, but I don't remember which recording specifically.

DanB
The Prokofiev 5 recording also includes the two Romeo and Juliet Suites.

Bydlo is on the DG recording of Pictures with Sinopoli.

There is also an excellent Respeghi recording of Pines and Fountains with Sinopoli.
happyroman wrote:
doublebuzzing wrote:The NYP did a Fantastique (on Decca) and a Rite of Spring (on CBS) with Mehta and I recall that he could be heard quite well :)

And the bonus is Sam Pilafian playing second tuba on the Berlioz!
Yeah, the Prokofiev 5 & Berlioz are fantastic. The Berlioz and Mahler 1 recordings were done very early in Deck's time with the NY Phil - recorded in 1980. The Pictures Bydlo was also great. That recording is prolly the loudest I've heard Deck. Listen to 'Baba Yaga' :shock: :P
Bill Troiano
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Bill Troiano »

Hi Mark !! Addressing your original post, when I was organizing and running the Long Island Octubafest (later called Howard Hovey Tuba Day, and now Day of Tuba and Euphonium), in 1984, my 4th year, I had Warren as the guest artist. On the evening concert, after playing a few solos on his F tuba, he picked up his Franken CC tuba and gave short clinic on playing in an orchestra. He told the audience, that as loudly as he can play this, referring to the Ride, in the orchestra, you won't hear the tuba because of the texture, playing in the low register and with the trombones playing above him. Then, he played the Ride. Holy shith !!!!!!! It was the loudest tuba playing I ever heard up close - loud, clear and resonant.

A few weeks later, I was shopping for CD's in a store, and I came across, WAGNER, Orchestral Music, Der Ring Des Nibelungen, with Mehta. It was recorded in 1983 on the CBS Masterworks label. Maybe this the recording you are referring to. So, I bought the CD. Holy shith, again! You can hear Warren loud and clear on the Ride. The rest of the CD is amazing too.
MTFULRUTUBA
bugler
bugler

Post by MTFULRUTUBA »

To add to the already wonderful list of Deck's recordings, I would add:

Arnold Schoenberg "Gurrelieder" with Zubin Mehta on Sony Classical

Lots of low brass on this one and a great album.
Michael Taylor
Instructor of Tuba/Euphonium
Lenoir-Rhyne University, NC
North Greenville University, SC
Anderson University, SC
South Carolina Governor's School for the Arts & Humanities
hbcrandy
4 valves
4 valves

Post by hbcrandy »

Bill Troiano wrote:He told the audience, that as loudly as he can play this, referring to the Ride, in the orchestra, you won't hear the tuba because of the texture, playing in the low register and with the trombones playing above him. Then, he played the Ride. Holy shith !!!!!!! It was the loudest tuba playing I ever heard up close - loud, clear and resonant.

A few weeks later, I was shopping for CD's in a store, and I came across, WAGNER, Orchestral Music, Der Ring Des Nibelungen, with Mehta. It was recorded in 1983 on the CBS Masterworks label. Maybe this the recording you are referring to. So, I bought the CD. Holy shith, again! You can hear Warren loud and clear on the Ride. The rest of the CD is amazing too.
Bill: I studied with Warren for a little over 2 years in the early 1980's. I remember my first lesson with Warren. We were in the choir room at Avery Fisher Hall. I was playing an old, .687" bore CC King rotary valved tuba with which I was becoming more and more disenchanted. It was stuffy, uneven and the intonation was a nightmare. I complained to Warren about that. Warren picked up my tuba tuba played a bit then cut loose with a fortississimo. I almost dove for cover under the 9' grand piano in the room. I feared for the structural integrity of the building. After which Warren responded with, " Far out tuba, man! Don Harry would be willing to kill for one of these." The more lessons I took with Warren I got to know him better and found out, through general conversation that Arnold Jacobs had measured Warrens vital lung capacity at 7 1/2 liters. This was the a whole liter larger than one of the largest capacities that Mr. Jacobs had measured to date, 6 1/2 liters. Also, when I told Warren that I was going to miss about 1 1/2 months of lessons due to wisdom tooth surgery, Warren tried to commiserate with me by telling me how it felt to have all six of his wisdom teeth at once, to which I responded that most of us mere mortals had 4 and that I only had three. Warren Deck is the most amazing tuba player I have ever known. In addition to a great player, he is also a GREAT teacher and superb human being.
Randy Harrison
Proprietor,
Harrison Brass
Baltimore, Maryland USA
http://www.harrisonbrass.com
Instructor of Applied Brass Performance
Maryland Conservatory of Music
Bel Air and Havre de Grace, Maryland USA
http://www.musicismagic.com
Bill Troiano
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Bill Troiano »

Great story, Randy. Warren is probably the Tuba Day guest artist that I got to know the least out of all the guest artists we had over the 32 year period I chaired the event. He had a matinee with the Phil on the day of our event. He realized it only a day before, so we had to alter the schedule for the day time events, being that he wouldn't be there. He arrived just before the evening concert, so we didn't have time to talk. After the event, he did come back to my house to attend the famous Troiano Post Tuba Day Party, but he didn't stay long because he was driving back to the city that night.

All of my other guest artists stayed at my house overnight for 2-4 days even. We got to know each other, sight see on Long Island and many of them gave my boys lessons. My youngest, Chris, who is now a DMA student at George Mason, had the privilege of having a lesson with Demondrae after only playing the euphonium for a few months when he was in 4th grade. Cool !!!
MartyNeilan
6 valves
6 valves

Post by MartyNeilan »

bisontuba wrote:Mehta Wagner--esp . The Ride...powerful!
Mark
Gotta love when one of the trombones comes in a couple measures early, but really comes in!
tubapress
pro musician
pro musician

Post by tubapress »

Sinopoli recorded a set of recordings with NY Phil late 80’s, I believe. Included were Pictures, a Wagner album including Tannhauser and Parsifal Preludes...and an often forgotten Scriabin 3rd Symphony. Warren sounds great on all of these, but check out the Scriabin If you can find it! Amazing!

Also in the series of recordings was Respighi’s Roman Trilogu (Pines, Fountains, Roman Festivals). I went to all three performances of these. They were that good and the low brass in particular were just beyond belief. Sadly, the DG recording engineers managed to send their sounds seemingly to another planet. If you listen carefully, you can get a sense of what they were laying down (lie I’ve never heard it before!) those evenings. The live recording though is incredibly disappointing. Let the buyer beware!
Gary Press
gary_press@yahoo.com" target="_blank
toobagrowl
5 valves
5 valves

Post by toobagrowl »

MartyNeilan wrote: Gotta love when one of the trombones comes in a couple measures early, but really comes in!
I have the same recording. I don't notice the trombone come in a couple bars early, but there is a section where one of the trombones comes in one beat early. I believe those trombones were pre-Alessi, so they were the old trombone section, not as strong.
tubapress wrote: Sadly, the DG recording engineers managed to send their sounds seemingly to another planet. If you listen carefully, you can get a sense of what they were laying down (lie I’ve never heard it before!) those evenings. The live recording though is incredibly disappointing. Let the buyer beware!
For some reason, many recording engineers still to this day have a hard time capturing the tuba sound "just right" :!:
doublebuzzing
3 valves
3 valves

Post by doublebuzzing »

One recording to skip is the Bruckner 7 with Masur. The engineers did something to the low brass so that you can hardly hear them. I was so disappointed. I remember studying Bruckner 7th and being very excited to hear Warren's playing on that recording. Alas, Teldec really screwed up if you were excited to hear this low brass section.
toobagrowl
5 valves
5 valves

Post by toobagrowl »

^ Yeah, I have that one as well. That was the opening concert with Masur, I think. The low brass sound is definitely more "muffled" on that recording, even though you can tell they were playing big because of the intensity of the sound. It was like the engineers turned the low brass mic gain down 20 decibels. Another one that has "muffled" low brass is Brahms 2.
doublebuzzing
3 valves
3 valves

Post by doublebuzzing »

tubapress wrote:Sinopoli recorded a set of recordings with NY Phil late 80’s, I believe. Included were Pictures, a Wagner album including Tannhauser and Parsifal Preludes...and an often forgotten Scriabin 3rd Symphony. Warren sounds great on all of these, but check out the Scriabin If you can find it! Amazing!

Also in the series of recordings was Respighi’s Roman Trilogu (Pines, Fountains, Roman Festivals). I went to all three performances of these. They were that good and the low brass in particular were just beyond belief. Sadly, the DG recording engineers managed to send their sounds seemingly to another planet. If you listen carefully, you can get a sense of what they were laying down (lie I’ve never heard it before!) those evenings. The live recording though is incredibly disappointing. Let the buyer beware!
Interestingly, on the DG Bernstein recordings with the NYP the engineers decided to turn the volume down on Phil Myers in many places where he would usually be heard loud and proud. Like you said, you could tell by the timbre of his tone that he was really laying it out there but you barely could hear him above the woodwinds :lol:
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

David Fedderly once told me of Warren Deck, something to the effect of "they can hear him across the river in New Jersey."

Also, remember that the Meinl Weston 2155 was originally marketed as Warren's quintet tuba.