Cleaning at home with vinegar- NEW QUESTION (I think)

The bulk of the musical talk
davet
bugler
bugler

Cleaning at home with vinegar- NEW QUESTION (I think)

Post by davet »

OK- so I want to try the vinegar cleaning as previously described in an old thread. I don't even come close to having a big enough container. If I use a funnel and attach it to the lead pipe I can't tell for sure if the vinegar gets into every bit of tubing.

So here's my idea- set up a cheap recirculating pump to pump the vinegar in while I manipulate the valves to let it into every tube.

Then use the pump to circluate clean rinse water.

I can get a pump for about $10.

Anybody see a downside?

How long should the vinegar circulate?

Dave
Joe Baker
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Joe Baker »

I thought about doing this, but wasn't sure whether the vinegar might dissolve parts of the pump seals, and either quickly destroy the pump, or send bits of dissolved rubber all over my horn. I was also concerned that the pressure/weight of the liquid might cause my slides to self-eject, breaking the circuit and possibly damaging the slides. I don't know if those worries were founded or not, though; this might be a fine idea.

What I did instead was to find a trash can large enough to hold my horn (the bell protrudes quite a bit, but the top bow is fully inside the can)). Then I found a really HEAVY plastic bag big enough to hold the entire horn. I removed all of the slides and valves (soaked them in a bucket, separately) and put the horn in the bag, and the bag in the can. Then I filled the can with water, which caused the bag to push up against the horn, minimizing its volume. Then, I poured a 50/50 mixture of vinegar and water down the bell, until it rose to the height of the top bow and stayed there. At that point (other than, possibly, some loops in the valve tubing) the horn is full of the vinegar/water solution.

I came back to the office for a couple of hours, which unexpectedly turned into about five hours. I was kind of worried that the extended time might damage things, but it was fine. Still, I think an hour or two would have probably been sufficient, and I'd shoot for that when I do it again.
4 valves
4 valves

Post by JayW »

I like joes idea with the bag and garbage can. I guess i am lucky that my bath tub is plenty big enough. Anyway you do it though i think you will be very happy with the results of a good vinegar bath.
Jay
proud new owner of a kick arse Eastman 632
Photographer
Dog Lover
Hiker
Bill Troiano
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Bill Troiano »

I wonder what Jake and Bill Bell did to clean out their horns. Or, ask Harvey what he's done. A garden hose does the trick for me!
davet
bugler
bugler

Post by davet »

I'm an idiot!!!! thanks, doc, for pointing out that the vinegar can go IN the bell!

I put my thinking in a box where the only input for vinegar could be the leadpipe. Things are supposed to come OUT of the bell!

OK- I've made a fool of myself in front of everybody. I'm going to go back to lurking while I lick my self inflicted wounds. (may even pour some vinegar into the bell.................)

dave
TubaTodd
4 valves
4 valves

Post by TubaTodd »

davet wrote:I put my thinking in a box where the only input for vinegar could be the leadpipe. Things are supposed to come OUT of the bell!

LMAO!!! :D That just made my day. I can usually count on our HS electric bass player for the funny/Witty quote of the day, but yours takes the cake.

Observation:

I may be reading your initial post wrong....but....did you intend on leaving the valves and slides IN the tuba while bathing it? You mentioned "I manipulate the valves to let it into every tube." I have cleaned my tuba in a repairshop before and I wouldn't think of cleaning my horn WITHOUT taking all of the valves and slides out of the horn FIRST. You need to make sure you get all of the felts and corks off the horn too, so they don't get ruined. Having a repairshop in the music building on campus during my college years (Ithaca College) I learned enough to give my horn a thorough cleaning and keep it in top shape.

I have never tried using vinegar as the cleaning agent, BUT I plan on giving it a try this summer (I too have read the articles on TubeNet).
Todd Morgan
Conn 52J - Sidey SSH Classic - MF3H
tubamirum
bugler
bugler

tuba cleaning

Post by tubamirum »

You can tell if your tuba needs cleaning by looking in the valve ports (air passages) or inside your tuning crook. Why go crazy if they aren't bad. Run a lot of water through your leadpipe often and you'll be doing your horn a favor.
Rick Denney
Resident Genius

Post by Rick Denney »

Bill Troiano wrote:I wonder what Jake and Bill Bell did to clean out their horns. Or, ask Harvey what he's done. A garden hose does the trick for me!
I don't know about Bell or Phillips, but Jacobs reportedly had his instrument cleaned and serviced at intervals at a repair shop. Pokorny seems to be carrying on that practice.

Rick "who is happy to let someone else have the big trash can full of slime-away" Denney
RossK
bugler
bugler

Post by RossK »

Doc wrote: "The sun is shining, the grass is green, the orange and palm trees sway. There's never been such a day in Beverly Hills, L.A. But it's December the twenty-fourth, and I am longing to be up north..." I bet somone here knows the lyrics that come next.
I'm dreaming of a white Christmas?

What do I win?
Ross "This space intentionally left blank" Kay
TubaRay
6 valves
6 valves

Post by TubaRay »

Doc wrote:My, my... and what beautiful art it is!

That reminds me - I have to take out the trash today.

Doc
Perhaps you could take the "beautiful art" out with you...? Please?
Ray Grim
The TubaMeisters
San Antonio, Tx.