YEB-321 Questions

The bulk of the musical talk
ppalan
3 valves
3 valves

YEB-321 Questions

Post by ppalan »

Here's a couple of questions for any of the repair techs:
Are there equivalent sets of springs to substitute for the Yamaha springs. I like them but I believe they are coated with Teflon (or some plastic-like material) and lately, every time I clean the valves, more chunks of the coating are loose. I can't help but believe that some of these loose pieces are responsible for the more frequent valve sticking I've been having lately.
Usually I remove slides one at a time to clean them and re-grease them but today I decided to do a more thorough cleaning and removed them all at the same time. It looks to me like slides 1 and 3 are identical. Is that true and if so, are they interchangeable? (I seem to remember from high school that the 1st and 3rd valves were interchangeable but I may not have that right.)
Thanks,
Pete
:tuba:
ppalan
Mirafone186 CC 4v
Yamaha Eb 321
Wessex "Berg" F
Bob Kolada
6 valves
6 valves

Re: YEB-321 Questions

Post by Bob Kolada »

Slides 1 and 3 are interchangeable on the 321 euph, fwiw.
Phil Dawson
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Phil Dawson »

The springs are coated with some kind of plastic so that they will be quieter. I use them on all of my piston horns. I have also run into the problem of the plastic peeling off. What I have done is to use my fingernail and sometimes a bit of OOOO steel wool (make sure that you rinse all of it off) to remove as much of the plastic as possible usually it is all gone in a couple of weeks depending on how much you practice and play and then there is no problem. Be patient and you will some great springs, Good luck, Phil
menroth
bugler
bugler

Post by menroth »

Hi!

Yes, the 1st and 3rd slides are interchangeable on the yeb-321 (at least on mine) and I have not noticed any difference between these two with my human ears.

Regards,
Martin