Euphonium solo in "October" by Eric Whitacre

The bulk of the musical talk
TexTuba
5 valves
5 valves

Post by TexTuba »

:roll:
Last edited by TexTuba on Tue May 13, 2008 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TUBAMUSICIAN87
bugler
bugler

Post by TUBAMUSICIAN87 »

I absolutely love the peice "October" I have played it twice (but not the euphonium) with different bands. the peice is very slow but sounds amazing the euphonium solo is my favorite part. I agree with the conductor to allow you to play it at your own tempo. just play it very soft but spoken and very lagato or logato however you spell it. most important do not rush :twisted: and bring out the grace notes (or 36's i dont know how its written) if you whant you can email me and i will send you the solo from one of the recordings i have and this player nailed it :D
phoenix
3 valves
3 valves

Post by phoenix »

I LOVE OCTOBER!!! One of the best wind ensemble pieces ever written. The euph solo should be in the tempo the soloist wants to take since everyone else is trilling at that time. AMAZING SONG! I've played it three times: once in a district band, once in an All-state Band, and once in a high school wind ensemble. I love that song...
JayW
4 valves
4 valves

Post by JayW »

we played that piece a few times the past few years in my community band. Its a rrally beautiful piece ...we recorded it (I thought our euph player did a nice job) if you want I could send it as a MP3 to you just to give you a thought/idea/vision/etc. ....just PM me or direct e-mail
tubajas@optonline.net

Good luck
Jay
proud new owner of a kick arse Eastman 632
Photographer
Dog Lover
Hiker
Arkietuba
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Arkietuba »

October is a great piece. I had the opportunity to play it a few years ago in my All-Region Band. I play the tuba so I didn't personally play the solo. As I recall, the euphonium player just played it at the same tempo as the part before it. I'm sure it would sound great w/ rubato but it really sounded beautiful with the conductor giving the time as well. So, it's really a matter of personal opinion.
phoenix
3 valves
3 valves

Post by phoenix »

yea i also have 2 recordings of it as well, one of the PMEA state band playing it last year and one of the PMEA district band playing 2 years ago. also i have another awesome recording of it, i don;t know who's playing though, i downloaded it from Kazaa Media Desktop.

Email me if you're interested in these recordings as well
tubaboss@msn.com
JayW
4 valves
4 valves

Post by JayW »

you've got mail
Jay
proud new owner of a kick arse Eastman 632
Photographer
Dog Lover
Hiker
Will
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Will »

I played that solo with the VT wind ensemble this past fall. Make a statement with it. Keep with what is written but make it your own interpretation.

-heads
Music Teacher
Captain Sousie
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Captain Sousie »

It is a great piece and most styles, as long as there is a lot of feeling, will sound great. When I played it in my college wind ensemble, I tried straight, rubato, slow rit, and many other things, the bones said that they all sounded great so just try things and see what you like.

Sousie
I am not Mr. Holland, and you are not my opus!
jon112780
4 valves
4 valves

October?

Post by jon112780 »

I haven't heard this piece yet, but you may want to explore more of his music for wind ensemble, like 'Ghost Train Tryptich'.
phoenix
3 valves
3 valves

Post by phoenix »

I haven't heard this piece yet, but you may want to explore more of his music for wind ensemble, like 'Ghost Train Tryptich'.

Great piece of music!! We did the first movement in my high school wind ensemble.