Why Learn CC Tuba? (if you're not a pro-in-the-making)

The bulk of the musical talk
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Re: Why Learn CC Tuba? (if you're not a pro-in-the-making)

Post by bort »

Rotary vs. piston? and BBb vs. CC? are the two great unanswered questions of the tuba world. The only real answers are based on personal preference. Everyone has a sound in their head that they are trying to match. With the wrong tuba (for that person), it can be a lot of work and trouble trying to shoehorn a tuba into that sound. With the right tuba (for that person), making the right sound takes very little effort, and more of the player's energy and focus can go into being musical. And for other lucky people, they can do just about anything with any tuba, and whether it's hard or not, they make it look easy.

Nothing is absolute about any of this, the exact tuba and player make as much difference as anything else. But as a tuba player, I think rotary and piston tubas sound and behave pretty differently from each other, and I wouldn't expect many audience members to notice much of a difference for similar-sized tubas.

I think rotary tubas sound more direct and not as woofy. On the other hand, rotary tubas are usually easier to make the sound crack and bark, and sometimes it's challenging to attain the same roundness of sound and presence that you can get with a piston tuba. I also think the differences are pretty apparent at higher volumes, when you really lay into a note and get a good "burn" on it. If you compare some brass-heavy pieces with American and German orchestras, you should be able to tell a difference.

It's all kind of hard to explain, but if you get to spend some time side-by-side with different kinds of tubas, you'll understand the differences better. For me, rotary CC is the way to go (sorry Sousa).
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

bloke wrote:Even if they had been the same exact models of Bb and C, there still would have been countless factors that would keep any comparison from being "fair", much less "scientific".
tmz1m
3 valves
3 valves

Post by tmz1m »

bloke wrote:Even if they had been the same exact models of Bb and C, there still would have been countless factors that would keep any comparison from being "fair", much less "scientific".
Sure. I was more interested in a general comparison. Maybe one day I'll play both back to back and see if I can tell a noticeable difference.
Rath R9 Bass Trombone
Getzen 3047AFR Tenor Trombone
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

I would also expect some factors that keep the comparison from testing the hypothesis. I mean, if we're saying, hypothetically,
  • there is no tonal difference between CC and BBb tubas with the same model number
... and you hear a difference between Miraphone 186 in the respective keys, I would have to ask whether it may have suited Miraphone to insure that difference by design, hoping to appeal to different markets for those keys. I.e., yes, because they wanted them to sound different! If you can't guarantee this didn't happen, then the test is only about whether the CC and BBb 186's sound different. And likewise for rotary vs. piston tubas.
Jess Haney
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Jess Haney »

I think it more or less is preference. Considering I just had this argument with another player, to say CC is "better" is crap. There are many great made CC's and now there are more "pro" model BBb's hitting the market. It is more about preference and what you are comfortable with than saying CC is far superior. I know I am beating a dead horse with this but the stigma of BBb being the amateur instrument needs to go away. There are some great playing BBbs out there and not to mention great uses (brass band ect). Play what you sound and feel great on, end of story.
Brass Band Tacoma
Puget Brass
Willson BBb 3100 FA5
Willson Eb 3400 FA5

..and a miriad of other JUNK not worth mentioning.
Worth
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Worth »

ehlutzcem wrote:The choice to stick with BBb was easy for me, since I still play euphonium and am too lazy to learn two sets of fingerings.
I play CC because I also play TC Euphonium and am challenged to learn two sets of fingerings :D
2014 Wisemann 900 with Laskey 30H
~1980 Cerveny 4V CC Piggy
1935 Franz Schediwy BBb
1968 Conn 2J (thinking of selling)
k001k47
5 valves
5 valves

Post by k001k47 »

Why play Titleist Pro V1s? (if you're not a pro-in-the-making)
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas
Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Post by Wyvern »

I would say the main advantage of CC is in orchestra where the music often goes into higher register. The CC being tone higher makes that more comfortable and the CC more of a multi-purpose tuba.

I think the difference in tone is more that of different styles of tuba (e.g. American 6/4 v Kaiser), rather than of pitch.

The CC/BBb comparisons demonstrated by Gene Pokorny and Tony Kniffen in their presentation at ITEC were for me inconclusive of the tonal difference made by pitch. I preferred CC for some excerpts and BBb for others. I guess that was more a matter what tone of individual tuba I felt more appropriate for that particular music...Tony Kniffen well demonstrated how F tuba can be perfect for Bruckner 4 :wink:
tmz1m
3 valves
3 valves

Post by tmz1m »

Came across this interesting post from Bobo's blog a few years ago: http://bomaestro.blogspot.com/2009/05/e ... n-bbb.html" target="_blank

He's referring to the Fafner BBb, but it's an interesting discussion along these same lines.
Rath R9 Bass Trombone
Getzen 3047AFR Tenor Trombone