Review of new JinBao JBFB-B540 PT-10 clone 5v F Tuba

The bulk of the musical talk
bisontuba
6 valves
6 valves

Review of new JinBao JBFB-B540 PT-10 clone 5v F Tuba

Post by bisontuba »

Hi-
Well, I decided to order one of the new PT-10 F clones to see how it was. I owned a PT-10 F years and years ago. I wanted to see how the pitch, low range, etc. was on this clone. When I first heard of the Chinese cloning this horn, I stated they were cloning the wrong F tuba. I really wanted to dislike this clone......but...

Wow...they not only cloned the PT-10, they improved it. The Germans need to clone the Chinese copy! I have heard that these horns are a bit inconsistent, but unless I lucked out and this horn is a fluke, these horns are terrific. Mine was purchased from a dealer in Florida and has the JinBao name on it. It is yellow brass with a nickel silver lead pipe. The hard case that came with it looks like one of the old Conn/King black plastic student cases with wheels. My understanding is that most of the importers that carry clones will be stocking these soon...versions to include yellow brass, yellow brass with a gold brass bell, and silver plate.
Don't even compare this to the original JinBao 6v F tuba--the '600' model. This is a totally different animal.
The low range reminds me of a Firebird--very useable but not 'quite' as good as a piston F. I'd say 95%+ of a piston F. Low D, Db, & C speak very easily and the Berlioz 'low C's' are no problem. My favorite low range F tuba test is playing the first lick for Tuba I from the 5th movement of Fantastique. The 16th notes notes ending on a low C. On this horn, you CAN do it without a problem!!! This horn will work in quintet!!! A big change from my original PT-10 F I must say.
The sound is beautiful on this clone, and the pitch is superb...NO adult fingerings needed. The horn making from JinBao continues to improve dramatically. All the slides are in excellent alignment and move freely. And the pricing on these that the dealers will sell these at is amazing.
Again, I urge anyone looking for one of these to go try them out... but as far as I am concerned, from a scale of 1-10, the PT-10 clone is a '10.' Another great Asian F tuba to go with the BMB F's ( and the Yamahas...)....

Regards-
Mark

Last edited by bisontuba on Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pierso20
5 valves
5 valves

Re: Review of new JinBao JBFB-B540 PT-10 clone 5v F Tuba

Post by pierso20 »

What is the cost for said horn?
Brooke Pierson

Music Educator
Composer
Composer http://www.brookepierson.com" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

...but look at that thumb ring! :roll: :P
bisontuba
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bisontuba »

pierso20 wrote:What is the cost for said horn?

Hi-
Contact the dealer(s) for options-yellow brass/yellow brass& gold brass bell/silver plate for prices...
Mark
bisontuba
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bisontuba »

bort wrote:...but look at that thumb ring! :roll: :P
Hah--got me!! :)
Mark
bisontuba
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bisontuba »

Hi-
Just a brief word on using the PT-10 F clone Saturday in a quintet gig/wedding. Years ago, I NEVER would or could have used my original PT-10 F on a quintet gig ( bad low register--great for Bydlo, but not for quintet). Well, with the clone it DOES work! As long as you don 't try to 'pounce' on the lower range, but lay back a bit and let the horn do its job, it works and produces a beautiful F tuba sound that I've been missing for a while--"lighter & tighter." Pitch is superb. This clone is a big winner! 2 thumbs up! Go try them!
Regards-
Mark
Last edited by bisontuba on Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bisontuba
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bisontuba »

Hi-
Mine came from M&M--it was the only one available before the next shipment arrives. I believe MACK, Dillon, Wessex (USA only), etc. also have/will have them shortly, as well as other outlets who carry the clones....either in brass or silver (plus MACK option with gold brass bell)....
Mark
bighonkintuba
bugler
bugler

Post by bighonkintuba »

I'm considering the purchase of this model.

Additional/updated evaluations would be appreciated.

:tuba:
bisontuba
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bisontuba »

bighonkintuba wrote:I'm considering the purchase of this model.

Additional/updated evaluations would be appreciated.

:tuba:
Hi-
I have used mine on gigs with no problems. Others here in Buffalo have played it and give it a thumbs up! I heard a YouTube video of a college teacher in the NorthEast using one and he sounded great on it. No mechanical problems at all with the horn.
Would I buy it again?--Yes, no question. Great horn. I would like to try the other versions of it with a gold brass bell and silver plated just for sound comparison....
I bet there might be some PT-10 F clones to try at the Army Tuba Conference next month..
Hope that helps.
Mark
bighonkintuba
bugler
bugler

Post by bighonkintuba »

Very helpful. Thanks!

Have any fit/finish issues developed?

I'm thinking about driving down for the Army conference.
bisontuba
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bisontuba »

bighonkintuba wrote:Very helpful. Thanks!

Hi-
No problems with the finish...lacquer is fine. Mechanically, everything is smooth. No repair or broken or bad parts. Just like the day I got it. Fun and easy to play....
Mark
bighonkintuba
bugler
bugler

Post by bighonkintuba »

Cool. Thanks again.
jonesmj wrote:
bighonkintuba wrote:Very helpful. Thanks!

Hi-
No problems with the finish...lacquer is fine. Mechanically, everything is smooth. No repair or broken or bad parts. Just like the day I got it. Fun and easy to play....
Mark
bisontuba
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bisontuba »

Hi-
Here is one of several tunes...mark

http://youtu.be/xcyWnBwZDV4" target="_blank
ouch
bugler
bugler

Post by ouch »

Is it safe to say this horn horn will get the job done?
Alex Stemson

Miraphone 1291 CC
Besson 983 Eb

Angry At Percussionists
eupho
4 valves
4 valves

Post by eupho »

Can you send a link to the video you mentioned?
2052sg Euphonium-
2110L BBb tuba
3/4 Conn Eb tuba
Southern Tier Concert Band(euph)]
Vestal(NY) Community Band(tuba)
Maine(NY) Community Band(conductor)
bisontuba
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bisontuba »

Hi-
It is there--look back a couple of messages...
Dylan King
YouTube Tubist
YouTube Tubist

Post by Dylan King »

I just received one of these yesterday and after a few hours of play-time, am very impressed. The horn does play VERY well in tune. Better than any F tuba I have tried. It has a big, classic German F tuba sound, and the low register is nice. It slots better than other rotary F's I've played. Still not as "poppy" as the Yamaha piston F tubas.

The valves need some work. I don't like the white bumpers, and plan to replace them with Bloke's in due time. After some fine tuning, I was able to get them pretty quiet for now. There was some manufacturing gunk in the horn, but after a few flushes with Marvel Mystery Oil, the valves freed up and are easy enough to operate. The linkages are starnge to me, but I think I figured out how they work. I'd like to record a video review with the factory "stock" horn before I customize it more to my liking.

The rest of the horn is solid in construction. It doesn't have the detail in the solder that the finer (much more expensive) horns have, but the placement of the braces makes sense, and is part of why it plays so well. There are a few "sharpness" issues, but not bad enough to injure anyone, though.

I love the sound. I really dig my Yamaha F's, but they just can't produce the sound like the German rotary horns. For the price, this thing is a slam-dunk!

Once again, I play on recording a 4K review of this horn on YouTube in the next month or so I'll post a link here when it is done.
Mira 291 CC
Yorkbrunner CC
Eastman CC
YFB-822 F
YFB-621 F
PT-10 F Clone
MackMini F
YBL622 B-TB
YSL891Z TB
Xeno Bb/C Trps
Taylor Bb/C Trp
Eclipse C Trp