Euphonium Range Sucks

The bulk of the musical talk
Zaphod Beeblebrox
bugler
bugler

Euphonium Range Sucks

Post by Zaphod Beeblebrox »

I haven't played euphonium for years. I just kind of decided to go full-time on tuba for college and "the future." It was, of course, the best decision I've ever made. However, I've observed something very strange: when I played euphonium and tuba, both every day, my low range on the tuba wasn't great. It was okay, but not fantastic. That seems to make sense to me. But then I picked up a euphonium a few days ago, just to see, and the highest note I could play was f above middle c. I can play a fifth higher on a CC or BBb tuba than on euphonium. That doesn't make sense! Bigger mouthpiece + double the length = better high range? I don't get it. Ideas?
Zaphod Beeblebrox, President of the Galaxy
Melton 32
1911 J.W. York and Sons BBb 6/4 BAT
windshieldbug
Once got the "hand" as a cue
Once got the "hand" as a cue

Re: Euphonium Range Sucks

Post by windshieldbug »

Embouchure. You may be getting a better one inside the large tuba mouthpiece than you had with the euphonium, which does not have enough room for you to practically utilize what you've learned.

Getting chops answers over the internet without physical observation always involves some risks! :shock:
Instead of talking to your plants, if you yelled at them would they still grow, but only to be troubled and insecure?
hubert
3 valves
3 valves

Post by hubert »

....and as far as your tuba playing is concerned: start every session with some extra exercises in the low range. I am convinced, you will be able to play both instruments to your full satisfaction.
A matter of the right "gymnastics" :wink: :wink:
Hubert
PMeuph
5 valves
5 valves

Post by PMeuph »

Yamaha YEP-642s
Boosey & Hawkes 19" Bell Imperial EEb
Zaphod Beeblebrox
bugler
bugler

hubert wrote:....and as far as your tuba playing is concerned: start every session with some extra exercises in the low range. I am convinced, you will be able to play both instruments to your full satisfaction.
A matter of the right "gymnastics" :wink: :wink:
Hubert
Well, I actually do know how to play good low range notes by now. It's been a long time since I've had that problem (again, eighth grade). But that's on tuba.
Melton 32
1911 J.W. York and Sons BBb 6/4 BAT
Zaphod Beeblebrox
bugler
bugler

PMeuph wrote:42....
+1
Melton 32