Favorite Hindemith - Metamorphosis Recording

The bulk of the musical talk
Billy M.
4 valves
4 valves

Re: Favorite Hindemith - Metamorphosis Recording

Post by Billy M. »

Btw, elephant. Here's the link for the Prokofiev on cd. (It's expensive but I ain't given up my copy any time soon.)

http://www.amazon.com/Prokofiev-Symphon ... iev+previn
Romans 3:23-24

Billy Morris
Rudolf Meinl Model 45, Musikmesse Horn
Boosey & Hawkes Imperial Eb (19" Bell)
1968 Besson New Standard Eb (15" Bell)
tubajoe
pro musician
pro musician

Post by tubajoe »

I think just about all of those SFSO/Blomstedt recordings are really special. The Hindemith recording as well as the entire Nielsen cycle w/Floyd is simply outstanding.
"When you control sound, you control meat." -Arnold Jacobs
Billy M.
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Billy M. »

Bump.

I know all the usual suspects are here (Szell, Blomstedt, Ormandy) but are there any sleepers worth a hearing that y'all may have heard and enjoyed?

Still looking for input.

Billy Morris
Billy M.
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Billy M. »

Tuben,

That recording doesn't qualify because it doesn't meet my personal standards of excellently recorded. Granted, the orchestra as a whole sounds good but the recording quality is not.

I appreciate the input, though.

Billy Morris
EdFirth
4 valves
4 valves

Post by EdFirth »

Just so it gets pointed out, those Kubilek recordings were made using one mike over the conductor's head. No engineers adjusting anything. I personally think they are very interesting. Ed
The Singing Whale
Billy M.
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Billy M. »

tuben wrote:If you do not have the ability to hear the MUSIC despite the limitations of recording technologies at the time of pressing, then I am truly sorry for you. You've chosen to eliminate a wealth of amazing performances, interpretations, and styles of orchestral brass playing that have been lost in today's Uber-Homogeneity.
Considering the fact that a number of recordings from within that decade of Chicago, Boston, New York, Cleveland (ad nauseum) are of exemplary quality even within their "limitations" and part of my collection (and prized, mind you) you assume too much. This particular recording does not fit the bill. The recommendation is appreciated but the quasi-pity is not. It would have been a helluva a concert to hear live. I wasn't alive then, unfortunately.

Ed, I agree that it is interesting. I work in the audiovisual field. If we were doing a recording like that, my boss would have my job for lunch. Granted, the technology has dramatically changed in 60+ years but it still seems an odd choice when stereo recording was possible.

Billy Morris
toobagrowl
5 valves
5 valves

Post by toobagrowl »

Gotta agree with Billy M on the recording quality. Those 1950s mono recordings are sometimes hard to listen to because the orchestra sounds like it was recorded in a small tunnel...

Btw, found this real-deal, live recording of the Hindemith by the CSO @ Ravinia in 1966.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aGp2K99RC8

Honestly, the low brass (including Jacobs) sounds a bit lethargic/draggy at times (i.e. not on top of the beat). Bud Herseth sounds great, though.
barry grrr-ero
4 valves
4 valves

Post by barry grrr-ero »

I don't usually buy recordings of orchestral works just to hear the tuba player, but Floyd is fabulous in the Hindemith. In fact, the whole 3-disc set of Hindemith orchestral works with Blomstedt/S.F. Symphony is really excellent (Decca). Floyd really sounds great on the "Konzertmusik for Brass & Strings" too. It also includes much rarer Hindemith items such as the "Symphonia Serena" and the big "Harmonie der Welt" (Harmony of the World). Good stuff.

Barry Guerrero
michaelrmurrin
bugler
bugler

Post by michaelrmurrin »

I have three recordings of Symphonic Metamorphoses, all of which I am VERY pleased with. One of them is the SFS/Blomstedt recording.

I also have a live recording of the LA Phil with Salonen from 2010. Great performance. And Norm Pearson sounds wonderful. It is a "DG Concerts" recording. Available on iTunes, also available here: http://www.deutschegrammophon.com/us/ca ... IES=DGCONC" target="_blank" target="_blank
They also played Overture to Die Meistersinger, Ride of the Valkyries, and Lohengrin Act 3 Prelude at this concert. All very good performances.

I also have a recording of the Philadelphia Orchestra with Wolfgang Sawallisch. I actually like this recording much better than the Cleveland/Szell recording. It's available here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00000 ... e=UTF8&me=" target="_blank" target="_blank